Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
PCs are frustrating, the operating system is unstable, and you feel disconnected from the tasks it does in the background. The other thing that makes PCs unstable is the variety of configurations. OSX is tested with one hardware setup, and fine tuned for that, hence it operates properly, 100% of the time. They cost a bit more, but last longer, and operate more efficiently. As such you get more work done.

PCs are frustrating, the operating system is unstable, and you feel disconnected from the tasks it does in the background. The other thing that makes PCs unstable is the variety of configurations. OSX is tested with one hardware setup, and fine tuned for that, hence it operates properly, 100% of the time. They cost a bit more, but last longer, and operate more efficiently. As such you get more work done.

Total rubbish. I've used both and it's purely down to personal choice. Windows is NOT unstable--I've used it in live theatre and live television applications and not had one Windows-related fault in almost 20 years. Where people have problems with Windows it's always because they've loaded up their computers with lots of rubbish--and that's the trade off. The "stability" of OSX is also a restriction in terms of your software choice. (And, even with Macs, I've seen crashes--most recently at a Apple evangelist-friend's house. It turned out that it was the ISP-provided modem that was supposedly Apple approved.

Sorry, Windows is not the spawn of the devil you make it out to be. You pays your money and takes your chances. You get more computer for your money (or the same for less money) with Windows but you have to be willing to take some responsibility for keeping your system clean and not downloading rubbish. Macs protect you more but, at least around here, cost almost double for a comparable machine.

This thread is full of biased prejudices mis-information and your post is the latest example,

Total rubbish. I've used both and it's purely down to personal choice. Windows is NOT unstable--I've used it in live theatre and live television applications and not had one Windows-related fault in almost 20 years. Where people have problems with Windows it's always because they've loaded up their computers with lots of rubbish--and that's the trade off. The "stability" of OSX is also a restriction in terms of your software choice. (And, even with Macs, I've seen crashes--most recently at a Apple evangelist-friend's house. It turned out that it was the ISP-provided modem that was supposedly Apple approved.

Sorry, Windows is not the spawn of the devil you make it out to be. You pays your money and takes your chances. You get more computer for your money (or the same for less money) with Windows but you have to be willing to take some responsibility for keeping your system clean and not downloading rubbish. Macs protect you more but, at least around here, cost almost double for a comparable machine.

This thread is full of biased prejudices mis-information and your post is the latest example,

+1

To add to the discussion, Apple has a bad reputation for not bringing legacy technology forward. Good or bad, Microsoft still support many of the old hardware standards. But, if an OS works for you, then it is good technology. Just don't treat it like your first born. That is just dumb.

+1

To add to the discussion, Apple has a bad reputation for not bringing legacy technology forward. Good or bad, Microsoft still support many of the old hardware standards. But, if an OS works for you, then it is good technology. Just don't treat it like your first born. That is just dumb.

Dang. You mean I shouldn't have given our first computer (which happened to be a Mac if I ignore my time playing with a BBC B) to that guy named Herod?

That's certainly true.
A lot of windows bitching boils down to driver issues with 12 year old hardware/peripherals.
I consider that legacy support to be a blessing but, of course, you can't expect 100% plain sailing always. It's just not reasonable.

Apple have the opposite tendency. They drop things like optical media before the world feels ready and people bitch.
Can't win.

PPC to intel was a massive change where people could claim to have been cut off or left behind.
Arguably the pure 64 bit move has done the same thing, with support for many models, as recent as 2008, being dropped.

Some would say a seven year old computer is for the dump.
Others would say their core2duo is perfectly adequate for their purposes and it cost them a grand and a half; They want to run it, up to date, until it breaks.

It is definitely a calculated decision with apple, too. It's not like their hands are tied.
I ran their most up-to-date OS (10.9.1) on a pentium 4 box not too long ago for giggles.

That's certainly true.
A lot of windows bitching boils down to driver issues with 12 year old hardware/peripherals.
I consider that legacy support to be a blessing but, of course, you can't expect 100% plain sailing always. It's just not reasonable.

Apple have the opposite tendency. They drop things like optical media before the world feels ready and people bitch.
Can't win.

PPC to intel was a massive change where people could claim to have been cut off or left behind.
Arguably the pure 64 bit move has done the same thing, with support for many models, as recent as 2008, being dropped.

Some would say a seven year old computer is for the dump.
Others would say their core2duo is perfectly adequate for their purposes and it cost them a grand and a half; They want to run it, up to date, until it breaks.

It is definitely a calculated decision with apple, too. It's not like their hands are tied.
I ran their most up-to-date OS (10.9.1) on a pentium 4 box not too long ago for giggles.

From what I understood, when Apple was using the RISC processors, that is when they had an edge in many areas over the Intel based Chips. Been a long time, but I had heard many good things about the RISC processors. I am sure there were probably compatibility issues with other hardware that made it a negative. Seems after Apple left the RISC world, they opened up a lot of hardware support. Before, it was Apple (say premium) or it didn't work. Seems now (I say now, what last 10 years) Apple products are a little more open to more hardware manufactures.

Apple products are a little more open to more hardware manufactures.

Oh, Absolutely.
These days you're paying for the nice shiny case and the operating system.
The rest says intel/nvidia/broadcom on it. :p

But regardless, they can still close their little group to certain hardware device Ids.

For example, airdrop is a recent local firesharing facility on OS 10, but it only supports a handful of broadcom and atheros chips, which ties it to new-ish macs only.

A mac with a BCM4318 wifi chipset, for example, won't support airdrop.
So what do you do? You either take it apart to replace the chip (which is like an Aston owner changing a tyre), or buy a new mac.

Dang. You mean I shouldn't have given our first computer (which happened to be a Mac if I ignore my time playing with a BBC B) to that guy named Herod?

I read this twice before I got it. Man, I am just getting old or I've always been stupid, just now realizing it (could this wisdom?).

Does any one have trouble using Roland with Mac in a master /slave config? It seems that cubase doesn't like starting at zero....thoughts?

I don't think mac's are more stable at all, my PC is fine here, mac users BE GONE! and rid thyself of all negativity unto thyself once one hast seen the latest 64 gig ram quad SLR dual CPU motherboard that apple users can only dream of

This is so ridiculous. Been using Windows 8 since it came out and it's as stable as can be.

I'd forgotten about this thread but since it's been dredged up...

Anybody else find it ironic that shortly before JohnMur made his post Apple were coming out with Mavericks and have had to rush through, to my count, four beta version bug fixes to try and get it working properly.

Even more ironic, some of the serious problems have been to do with audio as detailed HERE.

(I'm not anti Mac--as I said previously I've used both. However, I love puncturing the "Apple is perfect in every way" brigade. I've been using computers for live sound playback in theatres and lost more cues on Mac due to computer problems (1) than Windows (0). However, to show how silly statistics are, I've lost more cues mixing on Midas boards (3 cues) than on Behringer (again 0). Of course I've only mixed one live show on Behringer and hundreds of hours on Midas, but...)

Even more ironic, some of the serious problems have been to do with audio as detailed HERE.

I haven't hit any of these issues yet but releasing updates like this is standard procedure.
Apple always release 10.x.0 and then follow up with .1,.2 etc often through to double figures with minor updates in between.

To be fair I did jump to Mavericks recently, but I still maintain that anyone who jumps straight into a new OS and complains about it is foolish.

I guess it's a little different for average Jo who bought a new computer shipped with a new OS, but if you're running a business or rely on your system it always makes sense to wait for the bugs to get ironed out first.

As far as I can see Mavericks is largely a bells-and-whistles upgrade anyway. There's nothing here I'd miss if I retreated to Mountain Lion.

I have a dell laptop and a 2012 MacBook Pro. I use the MacBook Pro mostly but I plan on using the dell more in the future. I've found the MacBook to be greatly stable. Overall it was a good purchase, however I am not biased to PC/Mac. Since they both equally perform the tasks given to them.

i used PC and was a PC warrior for Years i started out with steinberg pro 16 on a commodore 64..moved on to atari and then to pc for along time ...

about 2 years ago i bought a mac mini at the time i needed to make some iPhone apps for a client and the mini was cheap

over a few months of playing with it i eventually i decided to run my daw software on it for a laugh

all i can say is I've never looked back .. i don't have to fight my computer to run now i just make music

i can't think of any VST's i wanted to run on it that i can't buy and the software costs the same $$ so i can't see my self moving back to pc as my mac is way stable

Back