Thread: PC or Mac for recording?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 897 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Bet it works fine with a PC...

Sorry; I couldn't resist.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    I don't think mac's are more stable at all, my PC is fine here, mac users BE GONE! and rid thyself of all negativity unto thyself once one hast seen the latest 64 gig ram quad SLR dual CPU motherboard that apple users can only dream of

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMur View Post
    PCs are frustrating, the operating system is unstable, and you feel disconnected from the tasks it does in the background. The other thing that makes PCs unstable is the variety of configurations. OSX is tested with one hardware setup, and fine tuned for that, hence it operates properly, 100% of the time. They cost a bit more, but last longer, and operate more efficiently. As such you get more work done.

This is so ridiculous. Been using Windows 8 since it came out and it's as stable as can be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMur View Post
    PCs are frustrating, the operating system is unstable, and you feel disconnected from the tasks it does in the background. The other thing that makes PCs unstable is the variety of configurations. OSX is tested with one hardware setup, and fine tuned for that, hence it operates properly, 100% of the time. They cost a bit more, but last longer, and operate more efficiently. As such you get more work done.
    I'd forgotten about this thread but since it's been dredged up...

Anybody else find it ironic that shortly before JohnMur made his post Apple were coming out with Mavericks and have had to rush through, to my count, four beta version bug fixes to try and get it working properly.

Even more ironic, some of the serious problems have been to do with audio as detailed HERE.

(I'm not anti Mac--as I said previously I've used both. However, I love puncturing the "Apple is perfect in every way" brigade. I've been using computers for live sound playback in theatres and lost more cues on Mac due to computer problems (1) than Windows (0). However, to show how silly statistics are, I've lost more cues mixing on Midas boards (3 cues) than on Behringer (again 0). Of course I've only mixed one live show on Behringer and hundreds of hours on Midas, but...)
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    Even more ironic, some of the serious problems have been to do with audio as detailed HERE.
    I haven't hit any of these issues yet but releasing updates like this is standard procedure.
    Apple always release 10.x.0 and then follow up with .1,.2 etc often through to double figures with minor updates in between.

To be fair I did jump to Mavericks recently, but I still maintain that anyone who jumps straight into a new OS and complains about it is foolish.

I guess it's a little different for average Jo who bought a new computer shipped with a new OS, but if you're running a business or rely on your system it always makes sense to wait for the bugs to get ironed out first.

As far as I can see Mavericks is largely a bells-and-whistles upgrade anyway. There's nothing here I'd miss if I retreated to Mountain Lion.

Thanks
    I have a dell laptop and a 2012 MacBook Pro. I use the MacBook Pro mostly but I plan on using the dell more in the future. I've found the MacBook to be greatly stable. Overall it was a good purchase, however I am not biased to PC/Mac. Since they both equally perform the tasks given to them.

Thanks
    i used PC and was a PC warrior for Years i started out with steinberg pro 16 on a commodore 64..moved on to atari and then to pc for along time ...

about 2 years ago i bought a mac mini at the time i needed to make some iPhone apps for a client and the mini was cheap

over a few months of playing with it i eventually i decided to run my daw software on it for a laugh

all i can say is I've never looked back .. i don't have to fight my computer to run now i just make music

i can't think of any VST's i wanted to run on it that i can't buy and the software costs the same $$ so i can't see my self moving back to pc as my mac is way stable

Thanks
    The fact is that more Audio Interfaces in the cheaper range work better with Mac

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielD3 View Post
    The fact is that more Audio Interfaces in the cheaper range work better with Mac
    Oh, please. I can't wait for you to justify this load of tosh. It should be good!
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    Oh, please. I can't wait for you to justify this load of tosh. It should be good!
    <Sigh> There's always one.

Thread Information