Outboard mixer required w/1010 for overdub?

dmemphis

The 1010 is well loved on this board
for performance and sound quality.

Mic pre's aside,
is an outboard mixer needed in order
to pull off track overdubbing?
How do you folks 1010 folks use it
for overdubbing? Do you listen to
the new track live while hearing the
prerecorded track or do you only
listen to the 1010's mix of the old and the
new track? Is the latency good either
way?

Thanks!

I haven't worked with a sound card with the claimed really low latency. So I don't know what its like with these 'good' systems. Is it so low that when you are monitoring you the delay (when monitoring) is imperceptable? Because if its not, really, then I suspect all of you folks use a mixer to monitor yourself before it goes into the sound card. I notice some outboard boxes provide 'live' mix listening- ie: your mic is mixed into a monitor path before going down to the board. And I suspect that's because there IS perceptible delay in the monitoring path. I see this with the MOTU fire wire box. I'm just trying to know what my expectations should be and if I should always budget for an external mixer, including the 1010 if I choose to go that way.

You can monitor through the monitor mixer on the 1010. It will play back the pre recorded stuff and then it will also play what you have going into it. With the mixer on the screen you can adjust the level for listening of the track going in without it affecting the recording level.

Back