Ordered first Audio Interface for puter. Did I get the wrong one?

hoarybat

Wow Great Forum can't wait to learn here!

Here's what I ordered and am getting in two days:

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22: Amazon.com: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC22: Musical Instruments

UMC22 Has One XLR input and one 1/4 Instrument input. Has two 1/4" rear outputs

1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable to go from Interface output to mini-amp or Receiver RCA inputs?: Amazon.com: Hosa CPR-201 Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable, 3.3 feet: Musical Instruments

What I would like to do: Learn singing/and or recording with Instrumental background tracks on puter and also perform Live with Microphone and Instrumental background track output combined output on the two connected speakers.

Can I do this on this device or did I buy the wrong thing? as the following guy says audio from Microphone will only come through on One Speaker on this Interface when I want the Instrumental track and Mic to come out on both speakers when Live?" and on a DAW when recording? YUP dimmy Newbie I am :confused:

YouTube

Thanks in advance for any help can't wait to get started...

Can I do this on this device or did I buy the wrong thing? as the following guy says audio from Microphone will only come through on One Speaker on this Interface when I want the Instrumental track and Mic to come out on both speakers when Live?" and on a DAW when recording? YUP dimmy Newbie I am :confused:

Hi there,
It's a limited interface, for sure, but if you only want to record one live voice along with some backing, it'll be fine.

Whoever told you that the microphone input will only be audible from one speaker is misinformed.
The microphone input will be audible through whatever speaker you patch it to.

If you have basic software that only allows one stereo track then yeah, sure, the mic will present on the left,
but any decent software will let you record from input one and pan it wherever you like.

In a conventional setup panning center means it will be heard through left and right equally.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Thanks Steenamaroo. As long as I can have both speakers emitting both MiC output and the Instrumental track together on the computer through this that is all I wanted. If I can use a DAW (Reaper, Audacity) to Record simultaneously both XLR MIC and background instrumental track saved on computer that would be great too. I know I can import track separately as I just learned about that today but not sure how to do it in one step with instrumental track and vocals entering DAW at same time. Alot to learn glad I'm here. Thanks

UPDATE info: "In order for the microphone output to make it's way into the phone through the line out, I have to enable "direct monitoring"(switch on the UMC22). If the headphones are plugged into the interface this means I'll hear the microphone at the same time. If I disable direct monitoring, then I no longer will hear the microphone but it also means the phone won't receive the microphone signal either. LOOKS like I'll need to enable direct monitoring to Sing live through speakers? Guess that makes sense......

Last edited:
Wait, are you recording onto a computer via USB, or onto a phone via line outputs?

You can follow the link in my signature, where I've got a video that'll guide you through the process of setting up and using the umc22 from start to finish.

Wait, are you recording onto a computer via USB, or onto a phone via line outputs?

You can follow the link in my signature, where I've got a video that'll guide you through the process of setting up and using the umc22 from start to finish.

I am not seeing anything in your sig line... :(

I am not seeing anything in your sig line... :(

Well that's interesting, thanks for the heads-up! I used to have a link there and it seems to have disappeared. I guess it's off to my profile to remember how to edit my sig...

*edit* wait, my sig showed up on this post. Must have been a mobile browser issue from my last post.

Anyways, the long and boring (but thorough!) video will be in the "popular uploads" section at that link. Hopefully it can help folks like the OP get up and running when first starting out.

Last edited:
Thanks Steenamaroo. As long as I can have both speakers emitting both MiC output and the Instrumental track together on the computer through this that is all I wanted. If I can use a DAW (Reaper, Audacity) to Record simultaneously both XLR MIC and background instrumental track saved on computer that would be great too. I know I can import track separately as I just learned about that today but not sure how to do it in one step with instrumental track and vocals entering DAW at same time. Alot to learn glad I'm here. Thanks

UPDATE info: "In order for the microphone output to make it's way into the phone through the line out, I have to enable "direct monitoring"(switch on the UMC22). If the headphones are plugged into the interface this means I'll hear the microphone at the same time. If I disable direct monitoring, then I no longer will hear the microphone but it also means the phone won't receive the microphone signal either. LOOKS like I'll need to enable direct monitoring to Sing live through speakers? Guess that makes sense......

I have no experience recording on a phone, but I recommend using a computer instead.
For you DAW, use Reaper. If you like it and continue to use it, find your way to paying for it. Honor system and all that...
To get your mic signal to come out both speakers, simply create a MONO track in Reaper and assign the mic to it.
To get the backing track into Reaper, you might be able to just drag it into the timeline. If not, click on Track, Insert New Track. Then click on Insert and Add media.... or something like that.

I am planning to use a XLR microphone recording via USB umc22 onto computer and/or singing live through speakers which is why I bought 1/4" to RCA male cables to go from UMC22 to my amp. I also have a Rode NT-USB microphone but since it captures too much background noise for singing I'll likely use an SM58 or Beta 87A XLR microphone for this new UMC22. Awesome thanks I will check out your video on UMC22. Just took up singing as a hobby with a bunch of other 50+'ers. Update Wow I was already on your site! I was looking at your info on the correct Drivers for UMC22.... Small world Um internet....LOL

I have no experience recording on a phone, but I recommend using a computer instead.
For you DAW, use Reaper. If you like it and continue to use it, find your way to paying for it. Honor system and all that...
To get your mic signal to come out both speakers, simply create a MONO track in Reaper and assign the mic to it.
To get the backing track into Reaper, you might be able to just drag it into the timeline. If not, click on Track, Insert New Track. Then click on Insert and Add media.... or something like that.

Thanks will look at Reaper ASAP as I've heard good things about it. Have only tried Audacity to this point with my Rode NT-USB. UMC22 arrives tonight so soon I will start hooking things up sometime this week. I chose the UMC22 which will be mated to a laptop making for a lightweight portable system with my miniamp and a couple of speakers. Thanks guys!

I am planning to use a XLR microphone recording via USB umc22 onto computer and/or singing live through speakers which is why I bought 1/4" to RCA male cables to go from UMC22 to my amp. I also have a Rode NT-USB microphone but since it captures too much background noise for singing I'll likely use an SM58 or Beta 87A XLR microphone for this new UMC22. Awesome thanks I will check out your video on UMC22. Just took up singing as a hobby with a bunch of other 50+'ers. Update Wow I was already on your site! I was looking at your info on the correct Drivers for UMC22.... Small world Um internet....LOL

Ha, awesome! I'd recommend trying ASIO4ALL first, and if that doesn't satisfy your needs then move to those legacy drivers from Behringer. It's been several months since I've tried the UMC22 with ASIO4ALL personally, so maybe there have been updates that return it to its former glory with Windows 10. I was getting ~2ms of latency in each direction before a Windows update spoiled that fun.

My UMC22 arrived! can do everything but a nogo on Reaper

Ha, awesome! I'd recommend trying ASIO4ALL first, and if that doesn't satisfy your needs then move to those legacy drivers from Behringer. It's been several months since I've tried the UMC22 with ASIO4ALL personally, so maybe there have been updates that return it to its former glory with Windows 10. I was getting ~2ms of latency in each direction before a Windows update spoiled that fun.

Hi Tadpui I have the problem of: Hi Yup my UMC22 was not working with Reaper as Windows is also holding my Behringer UMC22 USB Audio Codec Microphone in "Windows recording" hostage as the default device in Windows. I have no options to switch to the USB Audio Codec in Reaper Preferences as you mentioned in your video. How do you fix it? as you say in your video "change away from the USB audio Codec as the Default recording device in Windows" so I/you can have it freed up to choose in Reaper preferences? Thanks

Hi Tadpui I have the problem of: Hi Yup my UMC22 was not working with Reaper as Windows is also holding my Behringer UMC22 USB Audio Codec Microphone in "Windows recording" hostage as the default device in Windows. I have no options to switch to the USB Audio Codec in Reaper Preferences as you mentioned in your video. How do you fix it? as you say in your video "change away from the USB audio Codec as the Default recording device in Windows" so I/you can have it freed up to choose in Reaper preferences? Thanks

Now, you DO have my sympathy Hoarybat and what I am about to say is in no way meant as a criticism but..

Let this experience serve as a warning to others wanting a cheap start to recording.

In the last 10 years or so I have had maybe 6 AIs, none of them very expensive and a good half of them second hand. In each case the interface had proper, ASIO drivers downloadable and the interfaces worked more or less, 'out of the box' in both XP and later W7. IMHO (I am a computer numpty) ANY current interface SHOULD work perfectly with any major OS* and only minimal faffing be needed to make it so. Once done there should be no need for further faffings!

Caveat bloody emptor!

*Yes, I know there are a few mac only and Windows only devices but these are all, AFAIK, 'top end'?

Dave.

We got it sorted off-site. It was a configuration issue in the asio4all control panel.

Glad to hear it! I still think a MASSIVE! Company like Behringer should provide well written drivers for all their digital product and not leave customers floundering with a rather out of date 'wrapper'.
By definition almost, those customers are going to be first time AI newbs.

Dave.

Glad to hear it! I still think a MASSIVE! Company like Behringer should provide well written drivers for all their digital product and not leave customers floundering with a rather out of date 'wrapper'.
By definition almost, those customers are going to be first time AI newbs.

Dave.

I agree that it was a poor choice on Behringer's part to rely on 3rd party drivers that aren't under their control. Something between asio4all and Win10 snapped last year, and Behri is powerless to remedy it. At least there are some legacy Behri drivers for the old UCA interfaces that actually work for the orphaned UM2/UMC22, so anybody needing lower latency than what's possible with the minimum functional buffer size (256 samples) in asio4all can use those.

I agree that it was a poor choice on Behringer's part to rely on 3rd party drivers that aren't under their control. Something between asio4all and Win10 snapped last year, and Behri is powerless to remedy it. At least there are some legacy Behri drivers for the old UCA interfaces that actually work for the orphaned UM2/UMC22, so anybody needing lower latency than what's possible with the minimum functional buffer size (256 samples) in asio4all can use those.

Indeed it is nice to have it up and finally going. Audacity was easier in regard to having the drivers configured immediately. Like the simple Gui on Audicity but reaper seems to have more options so I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again fellas. On a non lucky note I just missed out on a Klipsch Reference R-15M speaker set $60 used on craigslist which had been posted only 5 hours before I saw it. Wanted a decent set of cheap bookshelf's to go with an old Sony receiver with LR wire Bass outs and a homeade passive 10" bass I am throwing together for a portable music system. The sony receiver is only temporary as I am seeking a decent mini-amp actually in the likes of Emotiva or equivalent without breaking the bank. I have a Sound Appeal mini-amp which is very good which claims 100 watts out 50 per channel but it is really more like 25 methinks. Should any of you have any suggestions on a decent mini-mid-size amp <10 lbs. with decent real specs that would be welcomed as they seem so hard to find as most seem to be very large or small-mini. Thanks again all!

Agreed Dave....I am glad it is working but yeah certainly not plug and play but I'm learning as I'm new to this and just started singing at age 50+ joining a learning/starting over 50+? guys group and this whole setup will help me practice on my own for our recitals. Need a damn man-cave (or even a shed LOL) cuz my family says the new hobby is too intrusive for them! LOL appreciative....

Audacity doesn't natively support ASIO, so it would have been using the built-in Windows audio system. It doesn't require any setup, but it has pretty horrendous latency. That definitely makes multitracking difficult. While ASIO requires a little bit of housekeeping to make it tip-top, it'll definitely pay off in the long run with its super-low latency and high performance. Glad you got up and running, now go and make some music! :)

And I hear you on the "intrusive" hobby. I've been lucky to have family that support my passion (obsession, maybe?) about making and enjoying music. But I went from a soundproofed basement oasis to an upstairs office without a door. So now I guess the whole household gets to "enjoy" me banging on things and doing my best imitation of a bag full of dying felines while recording vocals. Hey, as long as they're quiet I don't mind if they don't mind ;)

I always advise people to save a little bit more for their first audio interface - one that can handle at least 2 xlr / 1/4th in and a pair or RCA ins - if there's more that's great.

Here's why. Once you start making music (if you get hooked) you're going to want to collaborate with others, and with a 2 in 2 out interface it can't be done. For $100 more you can get a decent 4 in 2 out. Even at $199 I think you can get a 6in 2 out.

This also doesn't have midi in or out, which at some point, when you start to get into midi keys and drum pads, you're definitely going to want.

Basically it's all about future proofing. Spend $200 now and have enough room to expand - if you go beyond that you'll need a much bigger interface.

But for $39? It's fine. Just know that you'll probably be upgrading soon.

Back