Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ordered first Audio Interface for puter. Did I get the wrong one?

Thanks

Ordered first Audio Interface for puter. Did I get the wrong one?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Wow Great Forum can't wait to learn here!

Here's what I ordered and am getting in two days:

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22: Amazon.com: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC22: Musical Instruments

UMC22 Has One XLR input and one 1/4 Instrument input. Has two 1/4" rear outputs

1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable to go from Interface output to mini-amp or Receiver RCA inputs?: Amazon.com: Hosa CPR-201 Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable, 3.3 feet: Musical Instruments

What I would like to do: Learn singing/and or recording with Instrumental background tracks on puter and also perform Live with Microphone and Instrumental background track output combined output on the two connected speakers.

Can I do this on this device or did I buy the wrong thing? as the following guy says audio from Microphone will only come through on One Speaker on this Interface when I want the Instrumental track and Mic to come out on both speakers when Live?" and on a DAW when recording? YUP dimmy Newbie I am

Thanks in advance for any help can't wait to get started...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarybat View Post
    Can I do this on this device or did I buy the wrong thing? as the following guy says audio from Microphone will only come through on One Speaker on this Interface when I want the Instrumental track and Mic to come out on both speakers when Live?" and on a DAW when recording? YUP dimmy Newbie I am
    Hi there,
    It's a limited interface, for sure, but if you only want to record one live voice along with some backing, it'll be fine.

Whoever told you that the microphone input will only be audible from one speaker is misinformed.
    The microphone input will be audible through whatever speaker you patch it to.

If you have basic software that only allows one stereo track then yeah, sure, the mic will present on the left,
    but any decent software will let you record from input one and pan it wherever you like.

In a conventional setup panning center means it will be heard through left and right equally.

Hope that's helpful.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Thanks Steenamaroo. As long as I can have both speakers emitting both MiC output and the Instrumental track together on the computer through this that is all I wanted. If I can use a DAW (Reaper, Audacity) to Record simultaneously both XLR MIC and background instrumental track saved on computer that would be great too. I know I can import track separately as I just learned about that today but not sure how to do it in one step with instrumental track and vocals entering DAW at same time. Alot to learn glad I'm here. Thanks

UPDATE info: "In order for the microphone output to make it's way into the phone through the line out, I have to enable "direct monitoring"(switch on the UMC22). If the headphones are plugged into the interface this means I'll hear the microphone at the same time. If I disable direct monitoring, then I no longer will hear the microphone but it also means the phone won't receive the microphone signal either. LOOKS like I'll need to enable direct monitoring to Sing live through speakers? Guess that makes sense......
    Last edited by hoarybat; 05-13-2018 at 06:46.

Thanks
    Wait, are you recording onto a computer via USB, or onto a phone via line outputs?

You can follow the link in my signature, where I've got a video that'll guide you through the process of setting up and using the umc22 from start to finish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    Wait, are you recording onto a computer via USB, or onto a phone via line outputs?

You can follow the link in my signature, where I've got a video that'll guide you through the process of setting up and using the umc22 from start to finish.
    I am not seeing anything in your sig line...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    I am not seeing anything in your sig line...
    Well that's interesting, thanks for the heads-up! I used to have a link there and it seems to have disappeared. I guess it's off to my profile to remember how to edit my sig...

*edit* wait, my sig showed up on this post. Must have been a mobile browser issue from my last post.

Anyways, the long and boring (but thorough!) video will be in the "popular uploads" section at that link. Hopefully it can help folks like the OP get up and running when first starting out.
    Last edited by Tadpui; 05-13-2018 at 20:17.

Thanks
    Thanks Steenamaroo. As long as I can have both speakers emitting both MiC output and the Instrumental track together on the computer through this that is all I wanted. If I can use a DAW (Reaper, Audacity) to Record simultaneously both XLR MIC and background instrumental track saved on computer that would be great too. I know I can import track separately as I just learned about that today but not sure how to do it in one step with instrumental track and vocals entering DAW at same time. Alot to learn glad I'm here. Thanks

UPDATE info: "In order for the microphone output to make it's way into the phone through the line out, I have to enable "direct monitoring"(switch on the UMC22). If the headphones are plugged into the interface this means I'll hear the microphone at the same time. If I disable direct monitoring, then I no longer will hear the microphone but it also means the phone won't receive the microphone signal either. LOOKS like I'll need to enable direct monitoring to Sing live through speakers? Guess that makes sense......
    I have no experience recording on a phone, but I recommend using a computer instead.
    For you DAW, use Reaper. If you like it and continue to use it, find your way to paying for it. Honor system and all that...
    To get your mic signal to come out both speakers, simply create a MONO track in Reaper and assign the mic to it.
    To get the backing track into Reaper, you might be able to just drag it into the timeline. If not, click on Track, Insert New Track. Then click on Insert and Add media.... or something like that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post

I am planning to use a XLR microphone recording via USB umc22 onto computer and/or singing live through speakers which is why I bought 1/4" to RCA male cables to go from UMC22 to my amp. I also have a Rode NT-USB microphone but since it captures too much background noise for singing I'll likely use an SM58 or Beta 87A XLR microphone for this new UMC22. Awesome thanks I will check out your video on UMC22. Just took up singing as a hobby with a bunch of other 50+'ers. Update Wow I was already on your site! I was looking at your info on the correct Drivers for UMC22.... Small world Um internet....LOL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I have no experience recording on a phone, but I recommend using a computer instead.
    For you DAW, use Reaper. If you like it and continue to use it, find your way to paying for it. Honor system and all that...
    To get your mic signal to come out both speakers, simply create a MONO track in Reaper and assign the mic to it.
    To get the backing track into Reaper, you might be able to just drag it into the timeline. If not, click on Track, Insert New Track. Then click on Insert and Add media.... or something like that.
    Thanks will look at Reaper ASAP as I've heard good things about it. Have only tried Audacity to this point with my Rode NT-USB. UMC22 arrives tonight so soon I will start hooking things up sometime this week. I chose the UMC22 which will be mated to a laptop making for a lightweight portable system with my miniamp and a couple of speakers. Thanks guys!

Thanks
    I am planning to use a XLR microphone recording via USB umc22 onto computer and/or singing live through speakers which is why I bought 1/4" to RCA male cables to go from UMC22 to my amp. I also have a Rode NT-USB microphone but since it captures too much background noise for singing I'll likely use an SM58 or Beta 87A XLR microphone for this new UMC22. Awesome thanks I will check out your video on UMC22. Just took up singing as a hobby with a bunch of other 50+'ers. Update Wow I was already on your site! I was looking at your info on the correct Drivers for UMC22.... Small world Um internet....LOL
    Ha, awesome! I'd recommend trying ASIO4ALL first, and if that doesn't satisfy your needs then move to those legacy drivers from Behringer. It's been several months since I've tried the UMC22 with ASIO4ALL personally, so maybe there have been updates that return it to its former glory with Windows 10. I was getting ~2ms of latency in each direction before a Windows update spoiled that fun.

Thread Information