Optical In for SB

MightyOne

Let me preface this post by saying I'm a rather tech-deficient, lo-fi kind of guy, but I'm working on it.
I have a tascam 424 mkII, a pretty decent Sony Minidisc Deck for mixdown, and a Soundblaster Live Value soundcard.
I found some sort of attachment (obviously not the technical term) made by Hoontech that, among other things, provides optical input and output to SB Live and Live Value.

For the time being, I don't want to make music on the computer, but I want to get it in there. I'm interested in getting any opinions as to whether this would be a worthwhile avenue to take. Would the analog RCA-outs from the MD to the line-in on the soundcard be very inferior?

Thanks.

nah, not really, as long as you carefully monitor the levels

sounblasters rule!
whoa, sorry, got a little bit carried away there.
honestly, if you send a fairly high output from the MD
to the point where you can set the input relatively low (in
volume properties)for the line-in, you should be able to get a really good signal to noise ratio, which is in my mind the only thing way better about optical. try it and see.just like the analog days, just get the signal as hot as you can and go with it! that will allow you to minimize the noise generated by the actual inputs. That will in turn lower the "noise floor" so that the recording sounds downright grrrrrrrrrreat! Have fun -Aaron

Back