Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: online realtime jamming?

Thanks

online realtime jamming?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm posting this here cuz I don't know where else to post it, but I figured if anyone would be into something like this they might hang out here...

So, does anybody know of a reliable, non-latency-ridden means of jamming w/someone else in another city (or country, for that matter) in realtime via the internet? I am talking audio, not just MIDI.

I know of people who've been developing this technology but haven't heard anything from anyone who has actually successfully tried it yet. What would be needed to do this? Although I've heard of this happening at certain public venues, I wonder if this technology is available for the home?

My music partner moved across country & we're trying to find anything that works--maybe even some kind of conference-call speaker phone system?
    closed-circuit TV? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We already tried telepathy but at this distance it needs a mightly powerful pre....

Thanks

try this...

try ejamming...its a program thats just come out do a google search on it

Thanks
    eJamming is only MIDI, no audio. I found out about Ninjam, a new app that does audio but no MIDI. Anybody had any experience w/that? As far as I know it seems to be in beta testing mode so far.

Thanks
    Haven't tried Ninjam yet. But it sounds like it'd be strange. The latency is measured in measures - yes, measures, not seconds. Which would be odd. Here's the link:
    http://www.ninjam.com/
    Kawai GS-40 grand piano & other keys

Thanks
    I vaguely remember reading a Cubase article about this a couple years ago... Hmm...

Edit: Oooooold article
    Joshua Dotson, Peritus Sound

Thanks
    This could probably be done if you both had ISDN connection. Used all the time for video conferencing and commonly in the voice over industry.

This, however, isn't exactly cheap, and I'm not entirely sure if the latency is to the point where you could have a productive jam session or not.

Another option that's just kinda' getting off the ground is this pro tools plugin called Source Connect ( www.source-connect.com ) . Again, I'm not entirely certain about the latency on this one either, but I did attend a demo of the product, and at the time it seemed like it could have been low enough but I never personally got a chance to try it out unfortunately.

Thanks
    You'd have to have one hell of a connection methinks, both up and down to get no latency... Alot of video confrencing audio is run through codecs that compress the crap outta the audio therefore leaving not alot of quality, and they still have latency problems... Got a 10Mbps asyncronous connection?

Thanks
    On another note, I used to direct-in my guitar and play to my family over Teamspeak at one point, and it wasnt too bad quality... But that wasnt against other people playing and trying to keep in time

Thanks
    I know with playing games, that a good low latency connection is considered to be around 50-65 milliseconds. The fastest I have ever personally experienced for a useable length of time (using a T3) was about 37ms. More common and still considered decently fast is around 70-80ms.

Thanks
    Used to work at a place that had Four T-3 lines, direct fiber optic connection... I'm talking MAJOR speed and bandwidth... If you tried to connect 2 computers to a streaming audio connection, you'd have a double slap of sound.. Up to a second or better at times... Once connected and streaming, the delay wouldn't change unless you reset the connection or it had to re-buffer... This was a couple of years back though...

About the same time when Voice over IP (Netmeeting) was just starting to take off, if you had a full duplex sound cards and was talking to someone, you could hear an echo of yourself... That shows a good bit of latency there.. But once again that was several years back..

Interesting concept idea though...

--
    Rob

Thread Information