One last, incredibly stupid question on soundcards

chessrock

Banned
Need one with just the necessary inputs that will allow me to use an external a/d converter and word clock (96/24 recording). Just looking for card that plays well with these devices. No added frills.

I guess that would mean I need a card that will basically do nothing. :)

I promise - no more stupid questions after this one.

Don't quit asking "stupid questions". It's how people like me learn anything! I just posted a couple myself...

Vice

I believe that DAL (Digital Audio Labs) used to make one of these "do-nothing" cards and it did it very well for ~$150. But that was back in the pre 24/96 days....

I would say in my case less would actually be more.

All I will be recording is 1 stereo signal at a time, so I don't need extra inputs.

Ideally, i will be using an external a/d converter (lucid?) and word clock (as my pocketbook starts to cringe). So it doesn't have to have "pristine" a/d conversion, as I will be bypassing that function.

All it has to do is sit there, be compatible with everything, and let other devices do all the work.

Kinda' sounds like a lot of people I've worked with in my career. :)

Does my soundcard need to have an i/o for an external word clock? Or will it sense that an incoming digital signal is already being clocked by an outside device? At what point in the signal chain is the word clock inserted?

Does it go something like: line signal>a/d converter>word clock>digital input of sound card?

or does it go: line signal>a/d converter>digital input of sound card hooked up to external word clock through clock i/o?

I've seen some a/d converters that have an exteral wordclock i/o as a feature. Now this really confuses me, because now I'm thinking it can go something like: line signal > a/d converter connected to external clock > digital in of sound card.

I'm confusing myself as I type.

Gidge Rocks!

I think you were right about the Delta 1010LT, Gidge. It looks like a winner. With soething like that (all those inputs!), I could justify picking up the clock now, and holding off on the fancy A/D converter untill prices start coming down on them - which I can see happening.

Good call.

Hokypokynose - I'm not certain, but I would imagine the preamps are the same (or at least similar) to their DMP2 preamps. These get great remarks from just about everyone who reviews them. Some rate them higher than the pres on the (VLZ) Mackie boards.

DAL

Digital Audio Labs makes a CardDeluxeCDX-01 that does very little, but may do it very well. For what application is this card best-suited?

Back