one big long question

nickta99

I now have a delta 1010 recording on cubase vst 32. I am considering making some changes in the setup of my studio and would like some opinions. I hate mixing down with a mouse, therefore I am considering two options. One is to purchase the vst houston, and two is to set up and external mixdown board. I realize it would be more cost efective to buy the houston but I want to be happy with what I get and I'm not sure if the houston functions as good as it looks. If I go with an external set up I'm not sure of the best way to get 32 ch of audio from my computer to a mixdown board. Can I do this with a digital mixer and have some type of digital output from the computer, or should I buy 3 more delta 1010's and use analog outs? Let me know.

Thank you,
Nicholas Piano

ok.. one of the worst-sounding things you can do to audio is run it back and forth between analog and digital.... so Id say avoid using an analog board to mixdown with..To TRACK with, yes, MIXDOWN with, no.

Digital board: doable.... only practical up to 16 tracks, though... unless you get a pretty big board. Most have automation (good) and multitrack ins.. (good) TDIF is my transport format of choice...

ALSO.. with a digital board and SOME software (like nuendo??) you can use the FADERs on the board to automate your mix..... WITHOUT SENDING ANY AUDIO THROUGH THE BOARD.!!

I have done this with my tascam board and my SOUNDCARD's mixer software... and Ive heard its doable in nuendo. Your faders send MIDI, it tells the sw what to to.. Like a HUI or something. Maybe you wanna try that?

Cubase Houston... I know nothing.

xoxo

I haven't looked too much at the Houston, but I've used the Tascam US-428 the way you describe. It works well.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you only have 8 channels of hardware faders at a time. You switch banks of 8 channels at a time. Its easy, but you have to keep track of where you are and set your hardware fader controls each time you switch banks. My guess is that Houston works the same way. Since it has flying faders it will work even better.

With automation its pretty effective. You can change eq and effect send volumes with hardware knobs, turn effect sends on and off. You can only do it with one track at a time, but its better than a mouse and much less expensive than a digital mixer. If I have it right, many of the digital mixer controls are one channel at a time, anyway, so you might not be gaining too much for the added expense.

I dunno, never played with a digital mixer.

Back