Oldie but Newbie - Need recommendation on new computer for audio recording

Rich Hutzler

Hi all, wish I found this place years ago, great info.

I have been using the same computer for 10 years for recording (Gateway FX6800), unfortunately the motherboard went kaput and have spent 3 months trying to find a replacement to no avail, so time to start new. It's probably time anyway since it was running pretty loud, although I'm going to lose thousands in VSTs I've traded with friends over the years.

I'm looking for a recommendation on specs for what it is I do. Have read through the boards and seems like many are getting by with budget computers, which are way more powerful these days than what I was running. A typical song I write has 4 or 5 audio tracks. I use EZ drummer for drums, and maybe 3 or 4 other VST plugins (Amplitude, keyboard, synth), although I've had some tracks with over a dozen plugins. I am a loyal reaper user, it's perfect for what I do.

Before I started doing research here, I was going to buy the cheapest recording computer from Sweetwater ($1400 - Windows 10/64, Intel I5-8400, 8 GB DDR4, 240 GB SSD,). Then I found a gaming computer at Costco which will never be used for gaming, but had better specs ($1100 - Windows 10/64, Intel I7-8700, 16 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD, 500W Power Supply, plus a 6GB Video card which I don't care about)

After spending time reading and researching here, for what I do, would it be wiser and save some $ to step down a notch? I can get a decent Dell/HP/Lenovo for $700 or $800 (Lenovo IdeaCenter $800-I7-8700, 16 GM DDR4 RAM No SSD, I'm guessing a low wattage power supply). My only concern is I'll just need to spend more money replacing the power supply, or adding a SSD. My goal is to get something that is fast, quiet and will last for a while. It will never be a power recording stations.

My other option is to build, but piecing it out seems that the price wouldn't be much difference.

Any recommendations appreciated.

I would lean toward the fastest processor and just make sure that I got something that could run two or more ssd, and either with 32 gig or expanadable to it. I also would recommend removing your hard drive from your old comp and check to see if you can get everything off of it once you have your new setup with this type of thing: Electop SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 / 3.5 Inch Hard Drive with External AC Power Adapter available at amazon and elsewhere

Hi Rich and welcome. Now I am NO computer gru but I have been hanging around the guys here for a time and over at Sound on Sound so I have picked up a bit of knowledge.

You are right in that many modern computers, mainly laptops now, are easily powerful enough to cope with really quite a lot of tracks. last year I bought my son a Lenovo T430 laptop. i5 (a pretty top end one) 8G ram and a 240G SSD W10 pro. He runs Samplitude Pro X 3 on that and has no trouble. But, you want to stay with a desktop?

Still best bang for buck I think and of course, eminently future proof. What are you doing for an interface or did I miss that?
I would keep to an i5 processor but check the Benchmark sites to make sure it is a fast one! They come in various flavours. Less CPU power means less heat, less cooling noise. Deff an SSD and possibly a second HDD for storage but that can be a 7200 rpm spinner. Or, you can get a USB 3.0 caddy and use an external store/backup drive. 8 G of ram should be easily enough but check the MOBO can handle more.

When you take delivery of a spanking W10 computer you will need to set it up. Do not go for an email "account", opt instead for a "local" account and if you can see if you can blagg a "win 10 for dummies" book as part of the package. Oh yes! I would not sweat the PSU too much. In 15 years I have never had one fail and I have had nothing bigger than 550W.

Dave.

Back