Old Garageband session locked up

travis0017

I am trying to finish up a recording session I've put quite a bit of time in, but it locked up. Other sessions work fine, but for this one it's like the entire session is frozen. I can't select tracks, click on anything, etc.

I am using the latest Garageband (Garagaband08) I can with this computer and I'm really hoping to not have to buy a new computer over this.

Is there a setting somewhere I can reset? I looked for downloads of GB 08 online to reinstall, but I only saw some really sketchy sites.

Appreciate any advice to save the work I have so far.

First thing I have to ask is if you have backups of your projects. If so, then you've saved the media files.

I don't know if I ever used that old version, but if the "project" is actually a folder you can open ("show package contents" in Finder), you should inspect all the media files and see if they are there and not corrupted. If so, then you might try just recreating the project from them, taking a screenshot of the locked up project if it gets to the point you can at least see the track layout. Add the media files one at a time to a new project, soloing them as you do, and maybe that way discover if it's a file problem or maybe some other setting or 3rd party plugin, perhaps?

GarageBand 08 was part of iLife 08 which came preinstalled on '08 macs, and was included on DVD.
I'm not sure if they were ever available for download or not but the easiest way to get a safe copy would probably be to pick up a used iLife '08 DVD on ebay or similar.

This could be a completely harmless one-off but with a mac of that age I'd grab DriveDX free trial for a detailed health report on the hard drive,
and something to test the memory. Your mac may have AHT (Apple hardware test) built in or it may be included with the retail OS install DVDs if you still have those.

Back