Off the subject a little

rushfan33

Well, My computer crashed because of the crappy Windows Me OS. I lost everything that I already put in. Before I fill my computer with all my music again, I want to install Windows XP or Windows 98 and get rid of Windows ME altogether. How do I erase or start from scratch to install the new OS?

Thanks,
RF

If you do an upgrade to XP it will erase ME and convert your existing FAT32 files to NTFS. It has been recommended to me to bypass the upgrade option and do a full install, which I did, and I am having no problems with XP. IF you lost everything it would be advisable to clean the drive off and do a full install and there will be nothing from your prior installations to screw things up.

Is that easy to do? I've never done that sort of thing before. I'm prepared to purchase the XP version but I don't have the Know How. Is there a website that I can read to show the steps?
Thanks,
RF

If you've never installed an OS before, it's not generally recommended to experiment. You'd be better off having somebody else do it for you.

I could attempt an explanation but it's be very very long. In short form, it would be: Format the hard disk, install the OS from the CD, load up al the device drivers, and you're ready to go. But that may confuse you more than help, so PM if you still have the courage.

Oh yeah, between the two I would look at XP. For a DAW I'm still heart and soul for Windows 2000, but XP would do my guess.

Back