Odd recording issue, mic not picking up sound no matter what I do

blazejecar

Hi,

So I'm trying to use the Zoom H5 recorder as an audio interface in FL studio (or any other program for that matter), but the sound does not get picked up at all.

When I plug it in, it gives the option for SD card reading or audio interface. I select the latter. The computer recognizes it and lets me select it as an input/output on the FL ASIO driver. I can then connect it to the edison plugin for recording and....there's just no sound. I have these settings:

blarguh.jpg

So I thought maybe it works somewhere else, but it also doesn't. Then I checked windows settings and sure enough, the microphone is muted.....but I cannot move the slider, it's like the microphone isn't there, yet the system registers it as an input.

brgyn.PNG

The interesting thing is, I can use the recorder on its own perfectly fine and the OUTPUT actually works perfectly fine (the speakers on the recorder). So it also means the cable is not faulty, the recorder itself works, the mic isn't broken, but for the life of me I can't get the mic to work as an actual plug-in mic. I can't find any solutions for this kind of issue online and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if anyone has any idea how to fix this, it'd be extremely helpful, I've been stuck on this for days now :/

thanks!

Maybe you have to select the zoom as an input device.

What options do you get when you click on the down arrow where you see "microphone (HS)" in your fist pic?

'Mic' in the windows settings would be the mic input of the computer. It's muted because you are not using that input.

Not familiar with FL Studio but generally with DAWs you have to set the input device in Widows sound settings AND in the DAW.

You also make the desired device the 'default' device as well. AFAIK when using proper ASIO drivers the gain level in Windows has no effect but of course there is a near infinite set of DAWs and interfaces!

Dave.

gecko zzed the zoom is selected as an input device, as seen in the first picture. The options i have there are the H5 that is selected and the microphone array (the built in mic in the computer)

mjbphotos the mic im showing is the zoom mic. Windows registers it as an input device and in that picture im browsing properties of the zoom device. It is enabled.

ecc83 in windows i disabled the system mic so zoom was the only option and then defaulted to the zoom but it did not work. Could tzere be a setting on the zoom? As far as the computer goes, i think ive tried basically everything

Attached is how my Behringer 204 HD appears in Samplitude for recording inputs 1 and 2. Do you have a similar setting in FL Studio?

Dave.

Attachments

• Sam rec setup.png
    Sam rec setup.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 15
There are a number of settings inside the Zoom for audio interface connection. The manual can walk you through it. Windows also requires drivers for the Zoom. Mac does not AFAIK. I would expect a "Zoom H5 ASIO" or similar option to select as a device.

I had a weird issue with my interface recently when I bought a USB turntable. It stopped showing up as a 4 channel interface and basically didn't work. I had tested the turntable. I left the unit switched off but still plugged in to the computer's USB. After unplugging the turntable and restarting my DAW, everything went back to normal.

ecc83 I have those same settings yes, but it doesn't work in any DAW.

snow lizard the specific drivers were a good point, I did not have those and I downloaded them but it didn't help, sadly :/ I didn't leave anything off as the only things in this scenario are the recorder and pc...

Back