Nt

twist

Does anyone know how to install a soundcard in NT? I have a dual boot setup with 98 and NT. 98 detected the card properly and I installed the drivers without a hitch, but after installing the software in NT I get a "Hardware not found" message.

Under audio devices in the Multimedia tab of Control Panel, it says "There are no devices of this type installed."

Twist

NT does not support plug-and-play, for one thing, so it won't detect the hardware like 98 does. Many soundcard manufacturers do not have drivers for NT. You'll need to determine if the maker of yours has any such drivers or can tell you how to install them.

Thanks Al,

Yeah I knew NT wasn't plug 'n' play, and I did install the NT drivers that came with the card. It seems like somewhere I have to tell the OS there's a sound card in the system in order to access it. But I can't figure out how.

Twist

There is a patch for NT from Microsoft, if you have SP6 or later, that supports plug and play. You will have to dig around on the Microsoft support site. I found it one time, we put it in out standard NT build for all new PC's at my last tech job. This is a very little known patch that actually exists and actually works. I dont have time to find it, or id give you a link, just search the MS support site, its in there.

H2H

Thanks H2H

I'll check that out when I have a chance. I got it working anyway last night. You have to install the drivers under "multimedia-devices-audio devices-add. All is well. Thanks again though.

Twist

Back