Notation Software (Best in Articulation Programming) -> DAW

davescott

I've had quite a frustration over the past 6 months-ish and I'm very hopeful that this community can point me in the correct direction. Or better yet I'm hoping there is "somebody out there" who already does what I want to do and can just instruct / direct me on what I'm missing.

As a little background for foundation - I'm a career computer scientist (30 year career thus far - video game technology) but a lifelong musician - I say this so you guys know you can get "in the weeds" as much as you'd like regarding technical stuff. I just completed the Certificate in Music Theory and Composition at Berklee College of Music.

Here is what I want to do more than anything.

I want to be able to write music in (a) Notation software, have it play back via the libraries I own, and as such would be wired (virtually of course) to Ableton (to be able to record and tweak), WITH Articulations.

I have read a ton and watched several videos on this but there is always "something" missing along the process but here is what I've figured out thus far and my initial plan.

I'm using Ableton and I'm going to buy a license to Vienna Ensemble Pro to stream via ethernet the libraries - I'm going to build my own slave computer as I do have that ability and understand the process / parts etc.

I am not a "piano roll" midi composer - I like to write actual music - I have tried Notion (love it) but had some problems, I have tried Sibelius (not so much love - the articulations are harder to deal with) - I have not tried Finale yet - BUT does anyone out there write via notation software, use Vienna Ensemble Pro for VST streaming and rewire to a DAW? IF SO : What Notation software and What DAW? I'm willing to switch from anything to anything at this point - I REALLY want 90% of the articulations to work... And I know all library articulations are different it is more to the point of "which Notation software purely works best" for this type of configuration (Notation->DAW).

I see conversations (not here) going back to 2011 on this somebody out there "has the power!"

I'm so close! Thanks in advance for the help!

Back