Not sure what's wrong, terrible noise coming through on my interface

Xcaliber

Last night I was attempting to record some guitar through my US-1800 when all of a sudden I started getting this very loud static noise on the input. It maxed out the meter and was kind of like white noise with a constant clipping sound. It happened on both of the instrument (line-in) inputs (I tried unplugging from the one I was using and plugging into the other and switching the input of the track). I tried turning the interface off and back on and also rebooting the computer (see my sig for the specs). I checked the settings in the Mac's preferences for sound and nothing changed. I tried a different guitar. After rebooting the computer I wasn't getting any sound from the interface and I couldn't playback the recorded sound either.

Any idea what might have happened? I'm hoping my interface isn't messed up. If it's the computer I've been thinking about getting a new one for a while, but can't decide what to get on my very limited budget. If it's the interface I'm not sure what I would do (not sure I want another one exactly like it or something totally different).

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

It's certainly possible the interface died (and until you power cycled everything it was making that death rattle/noise). The US-1800 comes with a 1 year warranty, plus a year if you bought it through Sweetwater.

Back