Noob DAW choice for Zoom H6

??? :confused:

I don't need anything, thank you very much. And I don't refuse to call it a DAW. Go back and read what I said. You're the one using terms like "real DAW" and "high end DAW". I just said it is more of an audio editor, which it is. Call it a DAW if you want.

In context with the OP's questions; He has a free license to use Cubase, I recommend that he give it a try.

The 10 Best Free DAWs Available - RouteNote Blog

audacity is on the list of ten best free DAWs

it certainly looks like a DAW to me too

---------- Update ----------

Have to agree - Audacity is a fine free audio editor, but a ‘DAW’ only if you are bizarrely insistent on using it that way.

There are, after all, free as in beer actual DAW alternatives...

audacity is on the list of ten best free DAWs

it certainly looks like a DAW to me too

Also from that article:
that article said:
However Audacity has some drawbacks such as its destructive editing,

That's a show-stopper right there.

The article mentioned Mu-Lab. I used it briefly when I needed to record some tracks in a pinch on a laptop. It is a great little app and worthy of consideration.

I have used it for its ease to do simple jobs very quickly and easily with minimal fuss.

When I need more power I use sonar.

Yes . . . pick the tools for the job. For simple audio editing jobs I'm happy to use Soundforge.

But for recording and mixing, I use Reaper, which does everything.

I don't get why someone would use a field recorder as an interface or an editor as a DAW.

I have an H5. It's a great field recorder. I also have an Alesis HD24. It's also a great field recorder. I would hate to use either as a studio recorder or interface. And that's despite the fact that the HD24 was designed with that capability. There are much better ways to get that job done.

I don't get why someone would use a field recorder as an interface or an editor as a DAW.

I have an H5. It's a great field recorder. I also have an Alesis HD24. It's also a great field recorder. I would hate to use either as a studio recorder or interface. And that's despite the fact that the HD24 was designed with that capability. There are much better ways to get that job done.

maybe they dont have the money to buy both

maybe they have it but prefer not to spend it if they dont have to

Could be, or maybe they bought without being informed. Without knowing what happened we can't know why they chose that hardware.

Audacity is not a DAW by the usual usage of the term. It's an editor. You could stretch the term DAW to include Audacity, but you lose the useful distinction between something designed as a recording and mixing system vs. something designed as a tool for doing deeper editing of files. That's why Vegas Pro and Sound Forge can be sold by one company (Sonic Foundry/Sony/Magix) and it's not redundant for one studio to own both.

i got the impression it was a matter of where OP was recording the band and then would take the recording back to their desktop in a different place.

Could be, or maybe they bought without being informed. Without knowing what happened we can't know why they chose that hardware.

Audacity is not a DAW by the usual usage of the term. It's an editor. You could stretch the term DAW to include Audacity, but you lose the useful distinction between something designed as a recording and mixing system vs. something designed as a tool for doing deeper editing of files. That's why Vegas Pro and Sound Forge can be sold by one company (Sonic Foundry/Sony/Magix) and it's not redundant for one studio to own both.

lots of people call audacity a DAW

it is not pro tools but it is free and it is very easy to use

Is this debate even worth it?

apparently it is to those who have a need to put down somebody elses choice of a DAW

audacity is quite successful and has many users even if you choose not to be a user of audacity yourself

as i said i use sonar but when there is a small easy task audacity is often the better choice to tweak something with less hassle
and there are people who may not need all the pro tools or even reaper features so audacity is a great choice for them

being free and supported with many add ons is not that bad a thing that somebody should try to disparage audacity

Audacity's own home page calls it an "audio editor". Nowhere does it call it a Digital Audio Workstation as far as I can see. As for opinions either way.........well it would seem that anyone calling Audacity a DAW made that up on his own......if even the makers don't call it a DAW.

Now.....this could lead to a debate about the term DAW being a generic for a broad range of software names that can manipulate audio. I'll have to check other DAW brand pages to see if they use the phrase DAW in their descriptions.

Back