Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob DAW choice for Zoom H6

Thanks

Noob DAW choice for Zoom H6

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have very limited digital recording and DAW experience (messed around with ableton in the past but found it dumbfounding). I just picked up a zoom H6 to record my rock band (I'll be multi-tracking), my plan is to record in my basement and then import the tracks later into the DAW on my desktop. I'm looking for suggestions for which DAW to use?

I'm trying to keep costs minimal to start... a product code for cubase LE came with the H6, I've heard reaper is inexpensive, and I believe audacity is free... those are the three I'm considering at the moment, but open to further suggestions.

For practical reasons I'd like to make an educated decision on what program to start on so I don't have to relearn too many things. And trying all of them might be burdensome on my desktop. Anyway, I'm sure all of you were in my shoes at one point so just looking for some opinions. thanks
    Last edited by JohnnyCrisis; 03-29-2019 at 16:52.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCrisis View Post
    I have very limited digital recording and DAW experience (messed around with ableton in the past but found it dumbfounding). I just picked up a zoom H6 to record my rock band (I'll be multi-tracking). I'm looking for suggestions for which DAW to use?

I'm trying to keep costs minimal to start... a product code for cubase LE came with the H6, I've heard reaper is inexpensive, and I believe audacity is free... those are the three I'm considering at the moment, but open to further suggestions.

For practical reasons I'd like to make an educated decision on what program to start on so I don't have to relearn too many things. And trying all of them might be burdensome on my desktop. Anyway, I'm sure all of you were in my shoes at one point so just looking for some opinions. thanks
    sonar is free too and would be better for multitracks. audacity is plenty good enough for just two but more takes extra work.
    reaper has some bad comments on the web. so do check reviews of all before you choose. cubase should be okay since zoom included it, but i am not that familiar with it .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    sonar is free too and would be better for multitracks. audacity is plenty good enough for just two but more takes extra work.
    reaper has some bad comments on the web. so do check reviews of all before you choose. cubase should be okay since zoom included it, but i am not that familiar with it .
    Thanks. As an update I think I'm going to go with either Reaper or Cubase LE if any one could compare the two or offer any insights for a noob.
    Last edited by JohnnyCrisis; 03-29-2019 at 20:36.

Thanks
    I assume you’re using Windows? Because GarageBand is a capable DAW and good enough for what you’re doing.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

Thanks
    I chose Reaper over Cubase LE ultimately. Reaper is free to try. You can download it and work with it to see which one you like better. I actually have both Cubase LE and Reaper on my laptop but for my main desktop machine, I went with Reaper.

Sonar is now Cakewalk by Bandlab and its now free.

Thanks
    I've got GarageBand on this Mac, and always treated it as a rather clever, but rather basic system - it doesn't seem to have hardly any of the features of Cubase, my preference?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I've got GarageBand on this Mac, and always treated it as a rather clever, but rather basic system - it doesn't seem to have hardly any of the features of Cubase, my preference?
    You’re right, it doesn’t. But OP said he doesn’t want something with a high learning curve and I suspect GarageBand will do what he wants.

It has all the effects he needs (compression, EQ, reverb, etc.) and I’m pretty sure it can use plugins now. That DAW will be the easiest as far as learning goes. If he wants to upgrade after learning the basics, he can certainly do so.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

Thanks
    Cubase LE is free. You've got the license, download it and try it. Reaper is about $60usd. I have been using cubase for years. There is a learning curve. They all have learning curves. I tried Reaper and it is just as good. I didn't like it only because I had to struggle to learn a different user interface. Not that reaper isn't good, it is and great for the price.

That's why companies like Steinberg (maker of Cubase) throw lite versions of their DAWs in with interfaces for free. Once you get started with one type of DAW, you are reluctant to learn a new one. Had I first started out with something else, like Reaper, I would have been using it all the time. My first interface came with Cubase and I stuck with it.

Don't use Audacity as a DAW. It's more of an audio editor.

Thanks
    Yep - 1996, cubase on an atari 530, in black and white

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Cubase LE is free. You've got the license, download it and try it. Reaper is about $60usd. I have been using cubase for years. There is a learning curve. They all have learning curves. I tried Reaper and it is just as good. I didn't like it only because I had to struggle to learn a different user interface. Not that reaper isn't good, it is and great for the price.

That's why companies like Steinberg (maker of Cubase) throw lite versions of their DAWs in with interfaces for free. Once you get started with one type of DAW, you are reluctant to learn a new one. Had I first started out with something else, like Reaper, I would have been using it all the time. My first interface came with Cubase and I stuck with it.

Don't use Audacity as a DAW. It's more of an audio editor.
    you can record and edit and export and more
    it has filters , measurement tools, and f/x and you can write your own with it

what do you think a real DAW has to be able to do to be called a DAW?

Thread Information