Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Noob DAW choice for Zoom H6

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Noob DAW choice for Zoom H6

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have very limited digital recording and DAW experience (messed around with ableton in the past but found it dumbfounding). I just picked up a zoom H6 to record my rock band (I'll be multi-tracking), my plan is to record in my basement and then import the tracks later into the DAW on my desktop. I'm looking for suggestions for which DAW to use?

    I'm trying to keep costs minimal to start... a product code for cubase LE came with the H6, I've heard reaper is inexpensive, and I believe audacity is free... those are the three I'm considering at the moment, but open to further suggestions.

    For practical reasons I'd like to make an educated decision on what program to start on so I don't have to relearn too many things. And trying all of them might be burdensome on my desktop. Anyway, I'm sure all of you were in my shoes at one point so just looking for some opinions. thanks
    Last edited by JohnnyCrisis; 03-29-2019 at 16:52.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCrisis View Post
    I have very limited digital recording and DAW experience (messed around with ableton in the past but found it dumbfounding). I just picked up a zoom H6 to record my rock band (I'll be multi-tracking). I'm looking for suggestions for which DAW to use?

    I'm trying to keep costs minimal to start... a product code for cubase LE came with the H6, I've heard reaper is inexpensive, and I believe audacity is free... those are the three I'm considering at the moment, but open to further suggestions.

    For practical reasons I'd like to make an educated decision on what program to start on so I don't have to relearn too many things. And trying all of them might be burdensome on my desktop. Anyway, I'm sure all of you were in my shoes at one point so just looking for some opinions. thanks
    sonar is free too and would be better for multitracks. audacity is plenty good enough for just two but more takes extra work.
    reaper has some bad comments on the web. so do check reviews of all before you choose. cubase should be okay since zoom included it, but i am not that familiar with it .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    sonar is free too and would be better for multitracks. audacity is plenty good enough for just two but more takes extra work.
    reaper has some bad comments on the web. so do check reviews of all before you choose. cubase should be okay since zoom included it, but i am not that familiar with it .
    Thanks. As an update I think I'm going to go with either Reaper or Cubase LE if any one could compare the two or offer any insights for a noob.
    Last edited by JohnnyCrisis; 03-29-2019 at 20:36.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Abingdon, VA
    Posts
    3,034
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    18179791
    I assume you’re using Windows? Because GarageBand is a capable DAW and good enough for what you’re doing.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Derby City
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    24147
    I chose Reaper over Cubase LE ultimately. Reaper is free to try. You can download it and work with it to see which one you like better. I actually have both Cubase LE and Reaper on my laptop but for my main desktop machine, I went with Reaper.

    Sonar is now Cakewalk by Bandlab and its now free.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    2,597
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 357 Times in 325 Posts
    Rep Power
    3902800
    I've got GarageBand on this Mac, and always treated it as a rather clever, but rather basic system - it doesn't seem to have hardly any of the features of Cubase, my preference?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Abingdon, VA
    Posts
    3,034
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    18179791
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I've got GarageBand on this Mac, and always treated it as a rather clever, but rather basic system - it doesn't seem to have hardly any of the features of Cubase, my preference?
    You’re right, it doesn’t. But OP said he doesn’t want something with a high learning curve and I suspect GarageBand will do what he wants.

    It has all the effects he needs (compression, EQ, reverb, etc.) and I’m pretty sure it can use plugins now. That DAW will be the easiest as far as learning goes. If he wants to upgrade after learning the basics, he can certainly do so.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    14,360
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 598 Times in 545 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Cubase LE is free. You've got the license, download it and try it. Reaper is about $60usd. I have been using cubase for years. There is a learning curve. They all have learning curves. I tried Reaper and it is just as good. I didn't like it only because I had to struggle to learn a different user interface. Not that reaper isn't good, it is and great for the price.

    That's why companies like Steinberg (maker of Cubase) throw lite versions of their DAWs in with interfaces for free. Once you get started with one type of DAW, you are reluctant to learn a new one. Had I first started out with something else, like Reaper, I would have been using it all the time. My first interface came with Cubase and I stuck with it.

    Don't use Audacity as a DAW. It's more of an audio editor.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    2,597
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 357 Times in 325 Posts
    Rep Power
    3902800
    Yep - 1996, cubase on an atari 530, in black and white

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Cubase LE is free. You've got the license, download it and try it. Reaper is about $60usd. I have been using cubase for years. There is a learning curve. They all have learning curves. I tried Reaper and it is just as good. I didn't like it only because I had to struggle to learn a different user interface. Not that reaper isn't good, it is and great for the price.

    That's why companies like Steinberg (maker of Cubase) throw lite versions of their DAWs in with interfaces for free. Once you get started with one type of DAW, you are reluctant to learn a new one. Had I first started out with something else, like Reaper, I would have been using it all the time. My first interface came with Cubase and I stuck with it.

    Don't use Audacity as a DAW. It's more of an audio editor.
    you can record and edit and export and more
    it has filters , measurement tools, and f/x and you can write your own with it

    what do you think a real DAW has to be able to do to be called a DAW?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. drum machines: zoom rt-223 vs. zoom mrt3b
    By kensington in forum Gear Reviews & Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2016, 11:02
  2. TASCAM DP-008EX, Zoom R8 or Zoom R16???
    By pete12string in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 20:08
  3. Edirol R-09hr vs Zoom H4n vs Zoom H2
    By litljonny in forum Microphones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 05:34
  4. alesis SR16 vs. Zoom MRT3 vs. Zoom RT223
    By diogo in forum Drums and Percussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 20:19
  5. Noob mic choice Q (w/ specific instrmnts)
    By desiwrx02 in forum Microphones
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 08:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •