non audio problem, reinstalled win2k

kristian

i had a problem today with win2k, well actually my hard disk got damaged, so it required me to reinstall win2k over my old one, which was great, i thought it would save all my settings that werent in the /WINNT directory. it did, but it did it in a weird way. I have 4 user groups now. Administrator, Administrator.THEBEAST, All Users, and ALL Users.WINNT. My problem? all of the programs are still installed, my Outlook email messages are still in outlook, but i can't access my old administrator account since this new administrator.THEBEAST account took over. I don't want to reinstall office for disk space reasons, most other programs i have work, i would just like to know if i could just replace this current administrator account with my old one? or some solution to get to my email client without reinstalling.

oh well too late... things to look forward to in the near future

1)IBM hard disk...

2)video of me hitting a seagate 20Gb across the street with a baseball bat.

it lasted for a year, then it was a quick AND painful death. i have about 1/10th of stuff backed up. :mad:

Well, Kristian I hope you don't splatter yourself all over the evening news. Honestly I have not heard of the specific problem you are describing. Did you actually name this "The Beast" account yourself? If not, it sounds almost like something a virus would do. Just for the hell of it I tried doing a search for "The Beast" at the Symantec Antivirus page (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html) and found several links that might interest you.

no no, thebeast has been my nickname for years. i will post the address of the video when i make it. flyyying hard disk. maybe some burning.

This is something Win2K did to me... apparently if you reinstall it will make new accounts with a .username extension after the main part... administrator... all users... etc...

unfortunately there was no easy fix I could find...

since I ran a dual boot, I booted into my second win2k and delted all the .username account folders, so now all that was left for the computer to use were the original accounts...

unfortunately there was no way I could find to do this from within the OS that had the .usernam accounts... I would always get "access denied" on certain important account files...

I also tried copying the old account files and folders over top of the new ones, but again from within the same OS you will most likely get "access denied" error messages on certain files because they are being used by the OS and can't be copied over from within that OS...

My solution was pretty simple with a dual boot... but there is no way I know of to do it within the OS with the accounts in question...

Back