Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noise goes away when I unplug my laptop during recording

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thank you Rob, my next laptop definitely WON'T be a Dell!

I have an HP and have run two Lenovos, none of those machines gave me any noise problems so I shall stick with those. I have read good reports of the Asus laptops but not in regard to audio use.

Now that you have explained the problem in more detail I am going to ask about Dells over at soundonsound.com. Will keep you all posted.

Dave.

Thanks
    I don't know about which Dells have these issues, and/or is just limited to laptops...but I've been using Dell towers for my DAW systems for the last 20 years...and never had any noise issues due to it being a Dell.
    TBH...I don't much recommend laptops for DAW use, regardless of brand...but I know these days that seems to be the norm for most people.

That said...I do use Dell laptops exclusively for my other computer needs, though they don't involve audio interfaces, so I can't speak about audio noise...but otherwise, I've not had any of the issues that many Dell haters speak of.

Oh...and we had some Lenovo tablets at my day gig...they were an odd item one year, because otherwise Dell was/is the major computer supplier at the day gig...I mean, like 10k computers/year...but anyway, those Lenovo tables were absolute dogs, everyone hated them, and wanted to get rid of them.
    So go figure...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I don't know about which Dells have these issues, and/or is just limited to laptops...but I've been using Dell towers for my DAW systems for the last 20 years...and never had any noise issues due to it being a Dell.
    TBH...I don't much recommend laptops for DAW use, regardless of brand...but I know these days that seems to be the norm for most people.

That said...I do use Dell laptops exclusively for my other computer needs, though they don't involve audio interfaces, so I can't speak about audio noise...but otherwise, I've not had any of the issues that many Dell haters speak of.

Oh...and we had some Lenovo tablets at my day gig...they were an odd item one year, because otherwise Dell was/is the major computer supplier at the day gig...I mean, like 10k computers/year...but anyway, those Lenovo tables were absolute dogs, everyone hated them, and wanted to get rid of them.
    So go figure...
    'Twas ever so. Not that many years ago the forums were alive with people asking for laptop reccy's but the cognoscenti were at pains to point out that "whilst LAST year's HP or Dell was fine with Fwire and gave low latency there is no reason to suggest that THIS year's model will be so accommodating!"

AFAIK the very last thing laptop makers consider when developing a MOBO is the way it handles audio and if the embedded FW chip was NOT suited to YOUR AI tough tittes.

So I am not surprised at all to learn that "not all Dells are noisy". I also agree that the laptop per se is not THE best vehicle for "serious" music making and subsequent processing...But peeps LIKE handy!

Whatever the situation, I have learned from a well respected poster (even if he is "Essex man"!) that a Dell MIGHT cause me a problem. I have a choice so I shall not take the chance.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 897 Posts
    Might be good to get confirmation of a cause and solution, from the OP, before we all gather outside Dell HQ with our pitchforks.
    Just a thought.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Theatre sound folk in the UK have had the Dell issue as the most annoying make. I have three dell systems that work fine, but have had a number of dell laptops all with the noise issue. I'm convinced it's the clever power supply, because the old one I still have is noise free on a general PSU, but it won't charge the batteries!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    So you are saying Rob that OP has a hum loop and the Dell takes the mains earth through to the negative, chassis, connection on the laptop?

If so, my cheap'ass traff unit will fix that. I am obliged Rob BTW! I am presently looking for a refurbed W10 laptop, just for internet and "office" duties for whan I turn my W7 machines off line. I don't really need audio capability on the W10 PC but good to know to avoid Dell!

Dave.
    I have 3 dells that work fine with audio.

A bad workman blames his tools.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Thank you Rob, my next laptop definitely WON'T be a Dell!

I have an HP and have run two Lenovos, none of those machines gave me any noise problems so I shall stick with those. I have read good reports of the Asus laptops but not in regard to audio use.

Now that you have explained the problem in more detail I am going to ask about Dells over at soundonsound.com. Will keep you all posted.

Dave.
    I have 3 dells that work great.

No brand name is perfect these days with truly mass manufacturing being one in a third world country

Thanks
    "A bad workman blames his tools."

That ^ is just a saying put about by cheap ass bosses that won't stump up for proper kit!

Dave.

Thanks
    What can I say - my own experience of laptops that hum when connected to PA and recording systems is that Dell has the worst record. Hear a hum, ask the make and 9 times out of 10 it's a Dell. if you have a quiet one, do not sell it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    What can I say - my own experience of laptops that hum when connected to PA and recording systems is that Dell has the worst record. Hear a hum, ask the make and 9 times out of 10 it's a Dell. if you have a quiet one, do not sell it!
    Thank you Rob. I did not wish to bandy your name about and get you dragged into the tiny cow! I have had similar comment from people at SoS. Nor everyone by anymeans has had hum problems with Dells but a couple have.

The Internet is of course a wonderful resource but if you search for data on ANY piece of gear, no mattter how superb or costly, somebody, somewhere will have a beef!

I base my judgements of equipment on personal evidence where I can and have bought cheap bits of kit to test. Where that is not possible (I am NOT going to drop 300-400 on anything "just to see"!!) I trust the long serving members of HR and SoS and anything that comes up on'web is checked through those.

I hope this clears the matter up once and for all.

Dave.

Thanks
    It's fine - when you have a bit of kit that works for you, obviously your opinion is shaped by that one. The daft thing is that that nobody complains because desktops hum less than portables with nasty PSUs. My own reduce it trick is to wire the laptops up to an XLR connected pins 2 and 3, with no ground connection and take advantage of the differential amp in the preamp. This can often reduce the noise to something that can be coped with.

Thread Information