Newbie question: Firebox vs Audient iD4, SSL 2+, other...

John Dikeman

Hello,

(long backstory, feel free to jump to the main question below)

Sorry, real newbie question. I'm a professional saxophonist, not a recording engineer... But thanks to ol Covoid, a few of my projects are finding new ways of working together. We're now trying to work on compositions and recordings separately, recording at home and splicing it together later. So I need to get my home recording situation sussed.

I have a Presonus Firebox and a Dell XPS 9550. Now, the Dell doesn't have Firewire but it does have a thunderbolt USB C so it's possible to get adapters Firewire to Thunderbolt + Thundebolt to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. But then, I hear Windows 10 isn't supported with Firebox... Though some folks online mentioned they got it working installing the Windows 7 drivers.
My girlfriend does have a Mac that supports the Firebox, but it's kind of a drag borrowing her computer all the time to record. Sometimes she needs it. Also, we wanted to record the project with Bandlab to store all files in the cloud. Her Mac is too old for that. So I'd have to record with the old Mac, then send everything to myself to work on... you get the picture.

Those cables cost around 90 euros... Am I better off just buying a new one? I don't have a lot of cash (and I don't have any gigs coming anytime soon).

QUESTION
How does the Firebox compare to modern inexpensive audio interfaces?

IE Audient iD4 or SSL 2+? Or anything around 200 or less?

I would strongly suggest you buy a modern USB interface. I take the point that cash is tight but think carefully about the facilities you really need and don't go cheap in haste.

The new compact SSLs are very nice but I cannot but think you are paying for a name and getting short changed on facilities? My money would be on the MOTU and the M4 for preff'.

But,where are you John? If in UK you can have a loan of my Mk1 NI KA6 for the Duration?

Dave.

Hey Dave. Thanks for the response, and very kind offer from you! However, I'm in Belgium. I'd also be uncomfortable borrowing your equipment.

To make it as clear as possible, I'm looking for the most natural recording sound possible (in the super cheap bracket).

That being said, I could probably stretch for the Motu M4. It's a much better unit than the Firebox?

Also, the only other thing I might want to do in the future, is get an interface I could do live recordings of acoustic instruments. So, I'd basically need a few more inputs. Is this expandable like that? Getting a mixer or something? Or should I look at something else?

Normal setting would be a quartet, sax, trumpet, bass, drums. Maybe max 8 inputs...

If not, considering I'm just recording a saxophone overdubbing, is there a need to get the M4 over the M2?

I got my Presonus FIrepod going on W10 using W7 drivers.

There is a post on this site somewhere about how to do it.

If you are not happy about doing that, you can always invest in a USB Presonus Audiobox . . . same functionality but USB instead of firewire,

Also, the only other thing I might want to do in the future, is get an interface I could do live recordings of acoustic instruments. So, I'd basically need a few more inputs. Is this expandable like that? Getting a mixer or something? Or should I look at something else?

Normal setting would be a quartet, sax, trumpet, bass, drums. Maybe max 8 inputs...

If not, considering I'm just recording a saxophone overdubbing, is there a need to get the M4 over the M2?

The M4 gives you two mic inputs plus two more line inputs so in the future you could buy or hire in a mixer that would give you more inputs as a stereo mix into those line ins. There are now several mixers and other systems that can give you multiple tracks, easily up to 16 and record to an SD card a computer or both.

Only you can decide if the extra expense of an 8 way AI is justified for possible future sessions. The Tascam series have always had a good rep.

Dave.

Hey Dave,

Since these are sold out everywhere... I've had some time to wonder again.
What do you think is best for me, the Motu M2 or M4? I will primarily be using it to record a saxophone. However, in the future I may want to buy a mixer or something so I could use it to record a small band. ie 8 channels or so. I know the M2 only has 2 inputs but if I get a mixer I could plug it in to those. Or is it better to get the M4 so I can have two mic inputs with phantom and send the mixer in to the line inputs? Maybe the Motu mic inputs are better than on a cheap mixer so it's worth having those...?

Hey Dave,

Since these are sold out everywhere... I've had some time to wonder again.
What do you think is best for me, the Motu M2 or M4? I will primarily be using it to record a saxophone. However, in the future I may want to buy a mixer or something so I could use it to record a small band. ie 8 channels or so. I know the M2 only has 2 inputs but if I get a mixer I could plug it in to those. Or is it better to get the M4 so I can have two mic inputs with phantom and send the mixer in to the line inputs? Maybe the Motu mic inputs are better than on a cheap mixer so it's worth having those...?

M4 all the way mate. If you buy say a 6 mic in mixer and the M2 you only have 6 mic inputs. The M4 makes that 8. Note however that the mixer only gives you a stereo mix of the 6 (say) mics not full blown multi-track. Even so, the M4 would give you 4 recorded tracks so you could say use the AI ins as a stereo pair (Google 'XY' crossed pair') and use the other mics as 'spots'.

Then even if all the above does not come to pass, the extra line in will be handy I am sure? Hookup to a hi fi system and you can dub vinyl or cassettes without disturbing the front inputs..Shoot! you could bub stuf and put a 'slate' track inbetween takes!

Dave.

M4 all the way mate. If you buy say a 6 mic in mixer and the M2 you only have 6 mic inputs. The M4 makes that 8. Note however that the mixer only gives you a stereo mix of the 6 (say) mics not full blown multi-track. Even so, the M4 would give you 4 recorded tracks so you could say use the AI ins as a stereo pair (Google 'XY' crossed pair') and use the other mics as 'spots'.

Then even if all the above does not come to pass, the extra line in will be handy I am sure? Hookup to a hi fi system and you can dub vinyl or cassettes without disturbing the front inputs..Shoot! you could bub stuf and put a 'slate' track inbetween takes!

Dave.

Great, that's super helpful.
Thanks!

It might be worth taking a look at the Audient iD14 - they're currently available as someone I know bought one last week. They have great mic preamps and can be expanded using the ADAT input to give you an extra 8 inputs.

The Audient combined with something like a Behringer ADA8200 gives you 10 discrete channels for around £300.

Back