Newbie: Basic of Basic

mfa

Before I get into compressors, mics, etc, I'd like to start at the computer.

What will I need in order to get all of the eventual crap into my laptop???
I have a newer Macbook Pro that hardly has any inputs. I assume I need some sort of expander/port/multiplier.
I'd like to buy ONE now that will give me room for the future. And No, I am not going to expand into a pro studio. Just guitars and vox.
What are these called?
What do you recommend?

Welcome

To begin, you'll need an interface you can plug your guitar and mic into which will convert to digital for your Mac via USB. These come with inputs for 1 or more instruments/mics, so if you're recording 1 thing at a time yourself and adding others later, also 1 at a time, a 1 or 2 input interface will do it - I'd recommend at least 2. Recording 2 or more simultaneously, you may want 4 to 8 inputs for possible future expansion.

The interface will probably come bundled with a software package which should include all your recording software (DAW).

A popular interface in these parts is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen3.

Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite

This link also lets you check hardware/OS compatibility.

If you've got the MacBook Pro, you've got Thunderbolt which is a more efficient system. You could go to something like a Presonus 2626, a Universal Audio Apollo Twin or Arrow, or a MOTU interface. I would spend a bit extra now to go that route.

You should get better performance in terms of audio latency vs USB. Thunderbolt 3 should be compatible for a long time. USB4 will eventually arrive which is based on the Thunderbolt protocol.

With an interface, a couple of mics and some recording software (Garageband comes with the Mac), you can start recording.

Welcome mfa. "just guitar and vox" but then you go on to say you want something to take you well into the future. That has two components to it.

1) Will your requirements change? By that I mean you might hook up with a bass player or keyboard player or several musos and want many more tracks. One way to future proof that is to get an interface that has 'ADAT' expansion ports. All allow 8 more tracks and some 16. You then buy an ADAT pre amp.

2)Will the OS change and shut you out? Apple seem good at this? One almost sure solution is to buy RME gear. Almost alone amongst manfctrs they keep gear going for decades. Pricey mind.

One thing is certain, if you pay around £150-200 for a basic 2 in 2 out interface it will deliver superb results. I do advise however going a little higher up the AI food chain. 2 Mics plus two line ins plus MIDI or better.

Reccies? (in no particular order)

MOTU M4

Native Instruments KA6

Various Zoom products.

Jusfort! There is an alternative scenario. Buy a cheap AI. I can recommend the Behringer UMC204HD (but don't go cheaper) at around $100. That will still deliver better than CD quality and you can learn the ropes with it. Once an expert, flog it and buy RME!

Dave.

OP, first we'd need to know what ports your Macbook has.
The most recent models do not have 'old' USB so you'd want to be looking at thunderbolt audio interfaces or a hub to break out a thunderbolt port to USB.
If you need to plug in additional devices like iloks, flash drives, etc you'll need some sort of hub either way which opens up the AI market for you.

For interfaces look for manufacturers with a strong history in supporting MacOS.
It's up to manufacturers to write drivers for new OSs (Dave) and with the major changes in 10.15 Catalina this is a great time to know who.
It would be the ideal time to drop support, if you were going to, so manufacturers currently supporting that OS are likely to be fairly safe bets for continued support.

If it has just two, like mine - they're USB-C and you use one for power, making an external box vital. Mine cheap one has a couple if USB3 sockets, SD big and small, HDMI, network and another USB-C.

"It's up to manufacturers to write drivers for new OSs (Dave)" Well yes S, and my knowledge of macs is zilch but YKWIM! The forums are full of people with orphaned AIs and DAWs due to the machinations of messrs Apple and Microsoft.

For instance. I found out a week ago that my (yes, old) NAS drive did not work on this W10 laptop because Ms did not keep a certain 'function' going in 10. I got onto the drive folks, Freecom and they gave me chapter and verse on how to fix it. Sometimes stuff cannot be fixed.

Caveat bloody Emptor!

Dave.

Before I get into compressors, mics, etc, I'd like to start at the computer.

What will I need in order to get all of the eventual crap into my laptop???
I have a newer Macbook Pro that hardly has any inputs. I assume I need some sort of expander/port/multiplier.
I'd like to buy ONE now that will give me room for the future. And No, I am not going to expand into a pro studio. Just guitars and vox.
What are these called?
What do you recommend?
It’s called a DOCK. Like most things related to Apple they aren’t cheap but I’d get the best one you can because you don’t want to have to buy 2.

This one showed up at the top in a couple of quick searches.

Amazon.com: CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 87W Charging, 7X USB 3.1 Ports, USB-C Gen 2, DisplayPort, UHS-II SD Card Slot, LAN, Optical Out, for 2016+ MacBook Pro & PC (Space Gray - 0.7m/2.3ft Cable): Industrial & Scientific

"It's up to manufacturers to write drivers for new OSs (Dave)" Well yes S, and my knowledge of macs is zilch but YKWIM! The forums are full of people with orphaned AIs and DAWs due to the machinations of messrs Apple and Microsoft.

For instance. I found out a week ago that my (yes, old) NAS drive did not work on this W10 laptop because Ms did not keep a certain 'function' going in 10. I got onto the drive folks, Freecom and they gave me chapter and verse on how to fix it. Sometimes stuff cannot be fixed.

Caveat bloody Emptor!

Dave.

Sure. Just pointing out that it's not likely to be the OS that locks you out - It's up to manufacturers to release drivers and if they choose not to then really your beef is with them.
Circumstances where it's simply not possible to write a new driver for a newer OS are pretty rare, as far as I know.
Not a bias or defensive thing - Had you said Apple might change the hardware and lock you out you'd have been bang on! :laughings:

Sure. Just pointing out that it's not likely to be the OS that locks you out - It's up to manufacturers to release drivers and if they choose not to then really your beef is with them.
Circumstances where it's simply not possible to write a new driver for a newer OS are pretty rare, as far as I know.
Not a bias or defensive thing - Had you said Apple might change the hardware and lock you out you'd have been bang on! :laughings:

Ok, don't want a cow mate but to the numpty (me!) ANYTHING that does not work on a new OS is down to the OS company whoever that may be. My NAS did not need new drivers it was Ms that dropped a bit of software in 10 that stopped it working. I dare say Apple have done similar?

Us computer dingleberries do not know or care WHO is to blame we just know it don't fekkin work no more!

I am just a dabbling old fool at home with no serious consequences if I cannot access my drive but had I an office with Pbytes of stuff on old Freecom NASes I would be distinctly dischuffed!

Dave.

Last edited:
Ok, don't want a cow mate but to the numpty (me!) ANYTHING that does not work on a new OS is down to the OS company whoever that may be. My NAS did not need new drivers it was Ms that dropped a bit of software in 10 that stopped it working. I dare say Apple have done similar?

Us computer dingleberries do know know or care WHO is to blame we just know it don't fekkin work no more!

I am just a dabbling old fool at home with no serious consequences if I cannot access my drive but had I an office with Pbytes of stuff on old Freecom NASes I would be distinctly dischuffed!

Dave.

Yeah, I suppose it can happen where some hardware relies on OS core features which are deprecated or removed - OpenGL on Apple springs to mind.
Deprecated is a key word there, though - Friendly warning, devs - We won't be using X in the near-ish future.

Generally deprecated features are left in for a few versions to allow time to develop workarounds. If some new OS has core features removed without warning then that's pretty dirty.
Arguably devs can rewrite for Metal (in the OpenGL example) but in many cases that's a huge undertaking and simply not worth doing.

Can't think of an interface example, if I'm honest - I think the vast majority of no-longer-support interfaces, whether apple or microsoft, are going to come down to the manufacturers choice to discontinue support.

Back