new PC-based home recording setup required.

OK, its time for me to get a new PC and all new recording hardware. i used to have an event1 LAYLA multitrack input, used cakewalk pro audio 9 software, and used fruity loops to arrange drum samples into a workable drum machine.

what is the best solution out there for home recording these days? what kind of input devices are available that will not limit me in the future? what software is the current rage in multitrack recording and editing? what is the best software-based drum machine/program?

basically im a single guitar player who is looking to write and record full songs from scratch with minimal hardware. id like to stay away from large mixers or big pieces of rack equipment aside from the input patchbay of course. and, if it helps, i plan to write modern hard rock music mostly. 2 guitars, bass, drums and vocal type of arrangements.

i also live in an apartment now and need to find a good solution for recording guitar work and mixing music without being overly noisy. i've got a mesa/boogie tripple rectifier 4x12 setup that needs to be up too loud to sound any good. are there any "speaker and mic in-a-box" cabinets worth looking into? i think mesa made one some years ago. though i dont know if it is any good or if it is quiet at all.

so i need to know the best solution to everything from the ground up (aside from my guitars and effects and amp). PC, hard drive setup, ammount/type of ram, software, drum software, drum samples, cabinet mics/techniques, input hardware... i need good opinions on everything. :)

help would be appreciated.

Back