New Mobo with PCI slots

Now that I've found E mu sound cards will work on Win 7 I must base my new PC purchases around that card, which is PCI not PCIe.
What's A good Mobo (if any) that carries a couple PCI slots?
Thanks....I appreciate your help

Hi,
Modern motherboards with PCI are becoming a rare beast.
I see the ASROCK Z370 Pro4 getting mentioned on other forums but it only has one legacy PCI slot.

Honestly, I think I'd be looking for a modern interface rather than building a new-ish PC with legacy support.
If you had some very desirable premium gear that depended on PCI that'd be one thing but for an EMU1212 or similar, I'm not sure I'd bother.
Just my opinion there. ;)

There are quite a few 8th and 9th gen Intel PCI motherboards still being made. Just check on NewEgg. Its been years since I built any systems, so I don't know who is making the better MBs these days. It used to be ASUS and Gigabyte were pretty reliable. MSI was decent. Of course Intel boards were generally reliable.

Normally PCI is not supported by the CoffeeLake chipsets, but MB manufacturers can add external chips to support PCI.

I just went to NewEgg and shopped for motherboards. My only 2 search criteria on their filter was for Intel and PCI (not express) slots. I'm actually surprised at how many current-gen and previous-gen boards still have a PCI slot. I thought that they'd be exceptionally rare since PCI is such a dead technology. So, I guess there's hope for your build.

I'd still agree with [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] that it'd be worth looking at a more modern audio interface. Spending money to support a PCI card in 2019/2020 seems like a bad idea to me.

Fair play, fellas; Turns out there are more current boards than I realised!

Personally I'd rather have any and all slots as pcie on a new build, for storage etc, but if that's not a big concern I guess why not build around the interface you have?

Sorry...Nothing to see here. :P

The nice thing is you can have all the latest stuff, I7-9xxx processor, PCIe, M.2, SATA3, USB 3.1 etc, AND have the PCI slot. It beats having to buy an old refurb computer to have a PCI slot.

Personally, I'm going to make do with my I5 and USB interface until Win10 Thunderbolt gets a generation older, just to make sure the bugs are worked out. I gave up on the bleeding edge years ago. Its fraught with to many incompatibilities, buggy implementations, and poorly written drivers. Give it a year or two, and implementations will be more solid, and the choices better.

Personally, I'm going to make do with my I5 and USB interface until Win10 Thunderbolt gets a generation older, just to make sure the bugs are worked out. I gave up on the bleeding edge years ago. Its fraught with to many incompatibilities, buggy implementations, and poorly written drivers. Give it a year or two, and implementations will be more solid, and the choices better.

Wise man!
One or two, (or five...), year old seconds are good enough for me these days.

If you're going to stay with Win7 and E-Mu, look at a refurb unit. I bought a Dell workstation with dual processors a few years ago and it's humming along just fine. I got mine from TekBoost (local to me). I see they have Dell T3500s for $135 with decent Xeon processor and 12GB of memory.

If you thinking of moving to Win10, it's doable with the older workstations. I switched a while back and am not having any problems. The E-MU driver should work with Win10. I still have my 0404 PCI, maybe I'll pull it out and test the driver.

It's incredible the power you can get for very little money, Chili.
I run a pair of X5680 (12 core @ 3.33). Little bit pricier but it's still 10 year old gear that powers through like it's brand new for audio work!

Yup. I've got a pair of x5570s @ 2.93. Maybe a new Core i9 would outperform them side by side, but I get everything done I need to do for cheap. That includes video work. I don't know if you saw the videos I recently put up on my FB page, but they were shot in 4k. My PC had no problem with them.

In my experience, it isn't just the CPUs that matter, it's the chipsets moving the data around that counts just as much. Can't beat a workstation no matter how old. Well, okay there might be a little bit of embellishment in that statement. :D

Yup. I've got a pair of x5570s @ 2.93. Maybe a new Core i9 would outperform them side by side, but I get everything done I need to do for cheap. That includes video work. I don't know if you saw the videos I recently put up on my FB page, but they were shot in 4k. My PC had no problem with them.

In my experience, it isn't just the CPUs that matter, it's the chipsets moving the data around that counts just as much. Can't beat a workstation no matter how old. Well, okay there might be a little bit of embellishment in that statement. :D

I didn't but I'll take a look.
For single-core performance we'd get wrecked by modern machines but for multicore task we still get some respect. ;)

Back