New Mac Mini

Back to user-upgradable ram, too; Thankfully!
If you do get one, max out the cpu and get your ram elsewhere afterwards. You'll save a bundle.
Not sure if the storage is soldered down. Hope not.

Honestly, I'm half tempted for one. I run a 2009 Mac Pro, top spec, and it's still fantastic but hardware is hardware. Some day it will die.
If I make the jump now, I could probably come out of it with a good chunk of change.

The only concern is minis don't seem to hold their value just as well as some of the other models.

Then on top of that, the upheaval of migrating everything across. There's 10 seconds of you life you won't get back. :p

This is a secure line, right?

Back to user-upgradable ram, too; Thankfully!
If you do get one, max out the cpu and get your ram elsewhere afterwards. You'll save a bundle.
Not sure if the storage is soldered down. Hope not.

Honestly, I'm half tempted for one. I run a 2009 Mac Pro, top spec, and it's still fantastic but hardware is hardware. Some day it will die.
If I make the jump now, I could probably come out of it with a good chunk of change.

The only concern is minis don't seem to hold their value just as well as some of the other models.

Then on top of that, the upheaval of migrating everything across. There's 10 seconds of you life you won't get back. :p

This is a secure line, right?
I'm actually kind of hoping not - you know, maybe someone who knows if you've been naughty or nice is listening... I've been really nice this year ;)

P.S. I don't know about holding value, as it doesn't matter that much given my newer Mac is from 2012, but I suspect some of the depressed used prices on later Minis, at least, is because they were not upgradeable!

I'm actually kind of hoping not - you know, maybe someone who knows if you've been naughty or nice is listening... I've been really nice this year ;)

To be honest, I don't even think they're all that over priced. Sometimes adding on upgrades gets silly but £800 for base model and what you're getting isn't shabby.
I talked my Dad into one in 2008. It's been on 24/7 ever since and you'd swear, to use it, that it was new.

He could probably still get £150-200 for it on a good day. That's not bad going.

P.S. I don't know about holding value, as it doesn't matter that much given my newer Mac is from 2012, but I suspect some of the depressed used prices on later Minis, at least, is because they were not upgradeable!

I think you might be right.
I've mentioned a few times how I sold my (upgradable) 2011 MBP for over £600 after using it for 5-6 years. It cost me £850 through the refurb store.
£50/yr for a great spec MBP? I was happy enough with that.

What sort of Mac Pro? I have a 12core 5,1 here. (xeon X56**)
Nothing 4,1 or earlier would come close to it, in spec or price, I don't think.

A 5,1 typically goes from 150-350 €,depending on content. A recent Mini fetches more, especially the server one. Haven't found one of those under 500 € yet.

You should start exporting to the UK then. I'm pretty sure I could get well over £1000 for mine any day of the week.
You'd maybe snag a quad core for £400 or so, but I'm not sure they're really worth having unless you need pcie + macos but your cpu requirement isn't that hefty.

An article about the memory upgrade process. While I did both the memory and SSD upgrade to my 2012 Mini, I am going to stare at this for a while before I pick my initial memory configuration, for sure...

Yes, it's possible to upgrade a 2018 Mac mini's RAM. No, it's not easy | ZDNet

ZDNet review: Apple Mac mini (2018) review: The little Mac that could Review | ZDNet

I'm going to wait a few months and see how the income tax situation works out (fingers crossed). Plus, by then I'll be trolling for a "refurb" with the configuration I'm looking for and try to save a couple $.

Back