New Laptop

cpt

Hello from Sweden,

Looking to buy a new laptop for general use and recording music using Ableton and Reason.
I'm not a tech person and so am somewhat overwhelmed by all the options.
Wanting to spend about 10 000 SEK/$1000/950euoro.

Any advice.

Processor
RAM
SSD

Have my eye on a

ASUS Zenbook 14 UX431FA-PURE1 - 14"
Intel Core i5-8265U-processor,
8 GB RAM,
256 GB SSD

I really liked the look and fell and the sound was amazing

HP Pavilion 15-cs3801no 15.6"
Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1-processor
8 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia MX130 2GB GPU
512 GB SSD + Intel Optane 32 GB

Great specs but a little large and not the most elegant looking.

Last edited:
The sound of the laptop is irrelevant because if you record music, you will use an external audio interface, and that should be how you listen to music, as well as record.

Which brings me to the first requirement - external ports. How many, and what type? I assume everything has at least USB 3.0 and you should have 2 or more - 1 for the interface and 1 for an external drive for audio projects, preferably 3, since you should also have an external drive for backups.

You should get 16GB RAM.

I believe 256GB SSD may be limiting if you have a lot of other applications or virtual instruments to load, though you can put those on an external drive. You should consider getting a large (capacity) external SSD for your projects and virtual instruments that connects via USB 3.0.

I stopped recommending consumer grade HP notebooks a long time ago. Maybe they have improved since then, but I'm not "plugged in" to the current Windows landscape, particularly in Sweden. (I can check though.)

How old are you cpt? Not being impertinent because I find a 15.6" laptop only just big enough. I used mt son's W10 14" Lenovo a years ago and struggled mightily. Eyes do not get better with age.

As Keith said, what are your plans? Two track recording, 8? Even for the latter you do not need a super fast machine. This i3 HP g6 gives excellent results with a variety of interfaces and plays back over 20 trcks of Cubase at about 50 CPU hit. 8G of ram and I have never seen the need for more but that will depend on application. More ram will increase heat and eat battery time. Of course, if you want to run sheds of pluggins and softsynths you need the horsepower.

I too am looking for a new (well, refurbed) laptop to run W10 next year. I 'want' i5, SSD, 8G ram and definitely 15.6" screen and my budget is £400. I am not so bothered by its music performance but I dare say my KA6 will run perfectly well on it.

Dave.

I too am looking for a new (well, refurbed) laptop to run W10 next year. I 'want' i5, SSD, 8G ram and definitely 15.6" screen and my budget is £400. I am not so bothered by its music performance but I dare say my KA6 will run perfectly well on it.

I think you might be able to increase your expectations a little for that kind of money Dave

Dell Precision M6800 17.3" i7-4610M 3GHz 16GB 2TB 250GB SSD FirePro M6100 | eBay

(I have a slightly earlier version of that one which handles 32 track recording via USB with no problems)

I think you might be able to increase your expectations a little for that kind of money Dave

Dell Precision M6800 17.3" i7-4610M 3GHz 16GB 2TB 250GB SSD FirePro M6100 | eBay

(I have a slightly earlier version of that one which handles 32 track recording via USB with no problems)

Thank you James. I have never bought anything off Ebay and certainly would not gamble 300 sovs there on a laptop.

I am not a big fan of Amazon for a few reasons but they are a very safe bet. I have had a couple of issues with products and they have always sorted matters swiftly. Small stuff, cables, adapters say, I try to phone the suppliers directly but I cannot afford to get stiffed for a hundred quid or more.

BTW. This i3 g6 HP laptop came with 4G ram and I upped it to 8G. I don't think it has made much difference to the performance? Even when running the quite large demo tracks in Samplitude ProX 3. I do notice the lappy gets hotter tho'but! Cannot see me ever needing 16G.

Dave.

Thank you James. I have never bought anything off Ebay and certainly would not gamble 300 sovs there on a laptop.

I am not a big fan of Amazon for a few reasons but they are a very safe bet. I have had a couple of issues with products and they have always sorted matters swiftly. Small stuff, cables, adapters say, I try to phone the suppliers directly but I cannot afford to get stiffed for a hundred quid or more.

There's no gamble. You buy something based on a description + images, and there's a full history of feedback to reference.
If there's a problem you return it, like with any other retailer.
Personally I wouldn't buy B-Grade gear as per that seller's terms, but that's getting specific. There's nothing wrong with buying on eBay (new or used) in general.

BTW. This i3 g6 HP laptop came with 4G ram and I upped it to 8G. I don't think it has made much difference to the performance? Even when running the quite large demo tracks in Samplitude ProX 3. I do notice the lappy gets hotter tho'but! Cannot see me ever needing 16G.

It wont go faster unless lack of ram was causing it to go slow in the first place.
That's easy to prove, before spending money.

Might be worth brining up your CPU usage graph whilst running a heavy session.
A lot of these i3 chips are performing on a similar level to >10 year old quad cores.

Even if you don't want to buy on Ebay it is always worth looking on there as many professional refurbishers use it. If you see something you like from a professional refurbishing company you can then go direct to their website. I bought my refurbed Dell Precision on Ebay and the case looked scratched in a similar way to the one that I linked to but once opened up the screen and keyboard were perfect. These are tough business class machines and in my old job we took them all over the world and used them in all kinds of conditions. However, I made sure that the place I bought mine from was a genuine refurbisher and they also happened to be close enough that, if I had problems, I could take it back personally.

Well I ordered this yesterday: Lenovo ThinkPad T510 15.6" Core i5 2.40GHz 8GB 256GB SSD DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64bit With Antivirus (Certified Refurbished)

Christmas prezzie from wife (well, she is letting me spend OUR money on it!) I don't particularly want it for music purposes (talent has flown the nest) but because I shall need a W10 laptop next year for internet and 'office' duties.

I shall of course set the KA6 and the 204HD up on it and give them a blow!

Dave.

Make sure you wrap it up and put it under the tree.... and look REAL surprised when you open it. Just what you wanted! Who would have guessed? :D

Well I ordered this yesterday: Lenovo ThinkPad T510 15.6" Core i5 2.40GHz 8GB 256GB SSD DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64bit With Antivirus (Certified Refurbished)

Lenovo Thinkpads have a pretty good reputation - hope you enjoy it!

A bit off topic, but funny.

This is not a musician thing, but you may laugh.

I host/produce a syndicated radio show that runs on a couple of networks and for which I am happily paid actual decent money.

The standard in the radio biz had been Adobe Audition, with the old versions 1.5, 3.0 being rock solid for the kind of mixing needed.

Sadly, these old versions (as opposed to the newer monthly lease versions) do not play well with Windows 10. They run, but there can be crashes and lost work.

So the solution is to hang on to a couple of decent older Windows XP laptops for the specific purpose of editing WAV or MP3 talk show audio.

While thrift stores now do not want PCs, shopgoodwill.com has them, often donated from areas such as Austin, TX and "silicon valley."

One needs to shop carefully, as shipping charges can exceed the price of the laptop.

Found a nice Sony Vaio, made for my kind of work. Made in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive and was $7.99. Shipping was about $15. It rips through my audio files just fine and is rock-solid because the older software matches the hardware.

You may laugh, but I laugh all the way to the bank.

This is not a musician thing, but you may laugh.

I host/produce a syndicated radio show that runs on a couple of networks and for which I am happily paid actual decent money.

The standard in the radio biz had been Adobe Audition, with the old versions 1.5, 3.0 being rock solid for the kind of mixing needed.

Sadly, these old versions (as opposed to the newer monthly lease versions) do not play well with Windows 10. They run, but there can be crashes and lost work.

So the solution is to hang on to a couple of decent older Windows XP laptops for the specific purpose of editing WAV or MP3 talk show audio.

While thrift stores now do not want PCs, shopgoodwill.com has them, often donated from areas such as Austin, TX and "silicon valley."

One needs to shop carefully, as shipping charges can exceed the price of the laptop.

Found a nice Sony Vaio, made for my kind of work. Made in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive and was $7.99. Shipping was about $15. It rips through my audio files just fine and is rock-solid because the older software matches the hardware.

You may laugh, but I laugh all the way to the bank.

Not laughing John. I have AA 1.5* and as you say, it has been a useful program. I have found that it is not that happy though even on W7? If I open a .wav it will not play in the default mode (play button greyed out) and I have to 'Insert into Multitrack' to get it to work. Might however have something to do with what follows? I sahll resume my search for a modest XP machine as I have been given an old but very decent SLR digital camera with all the discs but it only runs on XP.

*My one piece of 'cracked' software..BUT! before you start the stoning! My best mate, now saddly gone to the Great DOS shop in the Sky, had his own PC/electrical repair shop and he colluded with my wife to build me a pretty good, for 14yrs ago, desktop for my 60th birthday. He knew of mine and my son's interest in music and so 'found' me a copy of 1.5 which was as the proverbial rock on the XP Pro on the b'day machine. For many years I tried to salve my consience by recommending AA on forums at every oportunity. Saddly I could never afford the software and was always waiting a 'lite' version at about $100 so I could go 'legal'.

Dave.

Is there a particular reason you want a laptop? If you must have a laptop, I highly recommend buying refurbished from Amazon or a manufacturer. Laptops are pretty much obsolete within a few months of purchase.

If you don't absolutely need a laptop, I highly recommend buying a tower/desktop for a few different reasons:

1. You can upgrade a desktop fairly easily. A laptop can only really be upgraded by adding memory, and that's really limited. With a desktop, you can upgrade components as you see fit; add more storage space and memory than you can with a laptop (within limits); customize said storage space; and you can even upgrade the cooling systems, extending the life of your investment. (I use a liquid-cooling system; they're a low-cost upgrade and are easy to install and really extend the life of yer CPU, especially if your overclock it.)
  2. You get a lot more bang for your buck: with a laptop, a lot of your hard-earned dollar goes towards miniaturization as opposed to power, storage, speed, etc.
  3. You can DIY repair a desktop much more easily and cheaply because not only are they meant to be repaired (so parts are much more widely available and interchangeable), they aren't entirely self-contained. So when your bass player spills his beer on your keyboard, your whole system isn't kaput. When your video output on your motherboard stops working, your entire system isn't useless because you can easily just add a new video card to one of the slots in the tower.
  4. You can isolate the tower from your recording/mixing area, eliminating fan noise and such. However, with the right PC build, many will run nearly silently.

There are tons of options for plug n' go desktops out there, even really small ones you could still easily take with you, although you'd hafta lug your keyboard and mouse and monitor around with you. I mean, you could take a tower to a session, but NUC models like the ThinkCentre pretty much fit in the palm of your hand. The only real drawback is they are basically a laptop without a monitor or keyboard, and their connections are pretty limited.

If you are comfortable assembling basic electronics and can follow YouTube tutorials, I highly recommend sourcing the components yourself and assembling it all yourself. You'll save even more money and get exactly what you want. There's a ton of info available on YouTube and online in general to help guide you in your build. I've been building PCs since the mid/late '80's but I still utilize the tutorials; the tech changes so fast nowadays it's hard to keep up, especially when I'm only building a new PC every six or seven years now.

Check out this video for a really straight-forward, seven-minute look into building a recording/audio PC. The only thing I disagree with is his statement that you should always go with a barebones video card; this is inaccurate because it all depends on what DAW you use. Some DAWs are extremely graphic intensive; he uses Reaper, which doesn't tax a video card much at all, so in that case, a separate video card wouldn't even be necessary: the motherboard video processor could handle it. But notice during the time-lapse build how he never solders anything and barely uses a screwdriver, if at all, and he only puts in six or seven fairly good-sized components before he's done. [DISCLAIMER: video is by this crazy Canadian metalhead who runs a studio just across the river in Windsor; if you're not into metal, it might get a little annoying as all the background and intro music is metal, but all the info is rock-solid. His recording technique videos are excellent, in my book, and if yer in the mood to laugh, watch any of his "Annoying Texts from Musicians" videos or any of the other videos in which he gets pissed and rants. It's fantastic.]

Lenovo Thinkpads have a pretty good reputation - hope you enjoy it!

Bit of a hiccup! Phone call on Monday to say that the Lenovo had failed test, HDD wonky and Amazon have refunded me. Nice chap did have some good news however! Said he was sure he could find me a T510 with an i7 processor for same or LESS money. Would phone Tuesday. Didn't.

I won't bore you with the next 3 day's shennegins suffice it to say I have an i7 T510 coming Monday (they say) Hard drive is a bit small at 160G but then I shan't be putting sheds of audio files or films on it and I have loads of other storage, in fact I will probably shunt the 'free' virus protection off it PDQ and just run Defender and Malwarebytes.

Any suggestions as to other 'apps' I can ditch greatfully recieved!

Dave.

How about swapping the hard drive for a larger SSD? They're not that expensive now. I've just changed over on my similar vintage laptop and it has made a big difference.

How about swapping the hard drive for a larger SSD? They're not that expensive now. I've just changed over on my similar vintage laptop and it has made a big difference.

Quite a task for an old PC numpty James! Also being a laptop I doubt there is room for two drives? I have done the swap in desktops but there I could install the new drive alongside the old and do the cloning.I would have to copy off the existing drive to an external, change the drives then copy back. Bit fraught? Not to mention my 12 month warranty is defenistrated!

You say "...it has made a big difference" can I ask to what and in what way? Perhaps you are not aware but I just want this machine for internet and office duties. I shall keep my W7 machines going for music purposes (not that I do much!) but keep them off the net in 2020.

Dave.

Yeah, the warranty would probably be problematic if you replaced the drive at this point. Down the road, I would do it though.

Clonezilla is the freeware I used to use on Windows systems - probably still exists. Create a bootable USB stick with it, and toggle boot options to load that at power on, with new drive connected (cable available from Amazon for < $10), then it will make a complete copy. Some software, including Windows, might want to re-authenticate with the boot drive change once you complete the clone and physical swap.

SuperDuper is the software I use on the Mac - don't know if there's a Windows version. (It actually clones the system drive while running on it, so simpler - done it 2x with SSD upgrades.)

Yeah, the warranty would probably be problematic if you replaced the drive at this point. Down the road, I would do it though.

Clonezilla is the freeware I used to use on Windows systems - probably still exists. Create a bootable USB stick with it, and toggle boot options to load that at power on, with new drive connected (cable available from Amazon for < $10), then it will make a complete copy. Some software, including Windows, might want to re-authenticate with the boot drive change once you complete the clone and physical swap.

SuperDuper is the software I use on the Mac - don't know if there's a Windows version. (It actually clones the system drive while running on it, so simpler - done it 2x with SSD upgrades.)

Interesting Keith (I am an inveterate tinkerer!) but I have questions?

What is this cable? As I recall the SSD in my desktop there is a multiway connector, does the cable adapt from that to USB?

If I am 'cloning' the existing hard drive, how does that clean up the ***t?

I had a DTop for years with a 160G spinner and son used it with Cubase for quite a time for music work, never a problem. This drive will have virtually no music files on it permanently. Downloads will be swiftly bounced off to a USB 3.0 1Tb drive.

Still don't understand the "improvement" in going to a bigger drive? SSDs are not like spinners I undersatnd where the slow down as they get stuffed?

But thanks for all your efforts chaps, 'preciated.

Dave.

Interesting Keith (I am an inveterate tinkerer!) but I have questions?

What is this cable? As I recall the SSD in my desktop there is a multiway connector, does the cable adapt from that to USB?

If I am 'cloning' the existing hard drive, how does that clean up the ***t?

I had a DTop for years with a 160G spinner and son used it with Cubase for quite a time for music work, never a problem. This drive will have virtually no music files on it permanently. Downloads will be swiftly bounced off to a USB 3.0 1Tb drive.

Still don't understand the "improvement" in going to a bigger drive? SSDs are not like spinners I undersatnd where the slow down as they get stuffed?

But thanks for all your efforts chaps, 'preciated.

Dave.
This is the cable I got to allow me to work through the stack of old notebook drives I have accumulated, and am consolidating/cleaning before I thoroughly wipe them and donate somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, no, a true clone will not clean up the drive, but it simply will allow you to defer the cleanup, if it's simply a drive space issue. Once your system drive is at 90%, things are going to slow down a lot because it's just hard to manage swap files, defragging, etc.. (And fragmentation is really a non-issue with SSDs, so I assume the OS has the smarts to turn that [de-frag] off, saving one background process.)

Rotating media used to be faster than SSDs, and it's certainly fast enough for audio, so long as it's not filled and fragmented. But, you're not using it for audio, so it's possible it's just too full to operate efficiently. And, I doubt there's a lot of R&D money going into HDD development these days and they're probably installing 5400RPM drives with minimal cache - could be wrong there.

Anyway, SSDs are the present. Molecular, bubble, plasma something is the future. Spinners are like buggy-whips Dave :).

Back