Thread: New Laptop

Thanks

New Laptop

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello from Sweden,

Looking to buy a new laptop for general use and recording music using Ableton and Reason.
    I'm not a tech person and so am somewhat overwhelmed by all the options.
    Wanting to spend about 10 000 SEK/$1000/950euoro.

Any advice.

Processor
    RAM
    SSD

Have my eye on a

ASUS Zenbook 14 UX431FA-PURE1 - 14"
    Intel Core i5-8265U-processor,
    8 GB RAM,
    256 GB SSD

I really liked the look and fell and the sound was amazing

HP Pavilion 15-cs3801no 15.6"
    Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1-processor
    8 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia MX130 2GB GPU
    512 GB SSD + Intel Optane 32 GB

Great specs but a little large and not the most elegant looking.
    Last edited by cpt; 6 Days Ago at 14:20.

Thanks
    Lenovo Y540 maybe.

Thanks
    The sound of the laptop is irrelevant because if you record music, you will use an external audio interface, and that should be how you listen to music, as well as record.

Which brings me to the first requirement - external ports. How many, and what type? I assume everything has at least USB 3.0 and you should have 2 or more - 1 for the interface and 1 for an external drive for audio projects, preferably 3, since you should also have an external drive for backups.

You should get 16GB RAM.

I believe 256GB SSD may be limiting if you have a lot of other applications or virtual instruments to load, though you can put those on an external drive. You should consider getting a large (capacity) external SSD for your projects and virtual instruments that connects via USB 3.0.

I stopped recommending consumer grade HP notebooks a long time ago. Maybe they have improved since then, but I'm not "plugged in" to the current Windows landscape, particularly in Sweden. (I can check though.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    How old are you cpt? Not being impertinent because I find a 15.6" laptop only just big enough. I used mt son's W10 14" Lenovo a years ago and struggled mightily. Eyes do not get better with age.

As Keith said, what are your plans? Two track recording, 8? Even for the latter you do not need a super fast machine. This i3 HP g6 gives excellent results with a variety of interfaces and plays back over 20 trcks of Cubase at about 50 CPU hit. 8G of ram and I have never seen the need for more but that will depend on application. More ram will increase heat and eat battery time. Of course, if you want to run sheds of pluggins and softsynths you need the horsepower.

I too am looking for a new (well, refurbed) laptop to run W10 next year. I 'want' i5, SSD, 8G ram and definitely 15.6" screen and my budget is £400. I am not so bothered by its music performance but I dare say my KA6 will run perfectly well on it.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I too am looking for a new (well, refurbed) laptop to run W10 next year. I 'want' i5, SSD, 8G ram and definitely 15.6" screen and my budget is £400. I am not so bothered by its music performance but I dare say my KA6 will run perfectly well on it.
    I think you might be able to increase your expectations a little for that kind of money Dave

Dell Precision M6800 17.3" i7-4610M 3GHz 16GB 2TB 250GB SSD FirePro M6100 | eBay

(I have a slightly earlier version of that one which handles 32 track recording via USB with no problems)
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    I think you might be able to increase your expectations a little for that kind of money Dave

Dell Precision M6800 17.3" i7-4610M 3GHz 16GB 2TB 250GB SSD FirePro M6100 | eBay

(I have a slightly earlier version of that one which handles 32 track recording via USB with no problems)
    Thank you James. I have never bought anything off Ebay and certainly would not gamble 300 sovs there on a laptop.

I am not a big fan of Amazon for a few reasons but they are a very safe bet. I have had a couple of issues with products and they have always sorted matters swiftly. Small stuff, cables, adapters say, I try to phone the suppliers directly but I cannot afford to get stiffed for a hundred quid or more.

BTW. This i3 g6 HP laptop came with 4G ram and I upped it to 8G. I don't think it has made much difference to the performance? Even when running the quite large demo tracks in Samplitude ProX 3. I do notice the lappy gets hotter tho'but! Cannot see me ever needing 16G.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 916 Posts
    Thank you James. I have never bought anything off Ebay and certainly would not gamble 300 sovs there on a laptop.

I am not a big fan of Amazon for a few reasons but they are a very safe bet. I have had a couple of issues with products and they have always sorted matters swiftly. Small stuff, cables, adapters say, I try to phone the suppliers directly but I cannot afford to get stiffed for a hundred quid or more.
    There's no gamble. You buy something based on a description + images, and there's a full history of feedback to reference.
    If there's a problem you return it, like with any other retailer.
    Personally I wouldn't buy B-Grade gear as per that seller's terms, but that's getting specific. There's nothing wrong with buying on eBay (new or used) in general.

BTW. This i3 g6 HP laptop came with 4G ram and I upped it to 8G. I don't think it has made much difference to the performance? Even when running the quite large demo tracks in Samplitude ProX 3. I do notice the lappy gets hotter tho'but! Cannot see me ever needing 16G.
    It wont go faster unless lack of ram was causing it to go slow in the first place.
    That's easy to prove, before spending money.

Might be worth brining up your CPU usage graph whilst running a heavy session.
    A lot of these i3 chips are performing on a similar level to >10 year old quad cores.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Even if you don't want to buy on Ebay it is always worth looking on there as many professional refurbishers use it. If you see something you like from a professional refurbishing company you can then go direct to their website. I bought my refurbed Dell Precision on Ebay and the case looked scratched in a similar way to the one that I linked to but once opened up the screen and keyboard were perfect. These are tough business class machines and in my old job we took them all over the world and used them in all kinds of conditions. However, I made sure that the place I bought mine from was a genuine refurbisher and they also happened to be close enough that, if I had problems, I could take it back personally.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Well I ordered this yesterday: Lenovo ThinkPad T510 15.6" Core i5 2.40GHz 8GB 256GB SSD DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64bit With Antivirus (Certified Refurbished)

Christmas prezzie from wife (well, she is letting me spend OUR money on it!) I don't particularly want it for music purposes (talent has flown the nest) but because I shall need a W10 laptop next year for internet and 'office' duties.

I shall of course set the KA6 and the 204HD up on it and give them a blow!

Dave.

Thanks
    Make sure you wrap it up and put it under the tree.... and look REAL surprised when you open it. Just what you wanted! Who would have guessed?

Thread Information