New Laptop

I just placed an order for a Lenovo S340 ideapad with an I7-1065G7 processor, 8 gigs and 256G SSD. I don't have a clue as to whether it will do any good with audio, but that's not its purpose. I'll either relegate my 7 yr old I3 with WIn7 to offline duties playing movies or I've got a 500G HD that I can put in, and toss a copy of Ubuntu or Mint on it.

The Lenovo was only $50 more than I paid for this ASUS I3 7 years ago!

This is the cable I got to allow me to work through the stack of old notebook drives I have accumulated, and am consolidating/cleaning before I thoroughly wipe them and donate somewhere.

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA I/II/IIIHard Drive Adapter (EC-SSHD): Computers & Accessories

So, no, a true clone will not clean up the drive, but it simply will allow you to defer the cleanup, if it's simply a drive space issue. Once your system drive is at 90%, things are going to slow down a lot because it's just hard to manage swap files, defragging, etc.. (And fragmentation is really a non-issue with SSDs, so I assume the OS has the smarts to turn that [de-frag] off, saving one background process.)

Rotating media used to be faster than SSDs, and it's certainly fast enough for audio, so long as it's not filled and fragmented. But, you're not using it for audio, so it's possible it's just too full to operate efficiently. And, I doubt there's a lot of R&D money going into HDD development these days and they're probably installing 5400RPM drives with minimal cache - could be wrong there.

Anyway, SSDs are the present. Molecular, bubble, plasma something is the future. Spinners are like buggy-whips Dave :).

Got you on the cable Keith, will get one for 'ron.

Maybe a bit astray with the spec I am getting? The machine has a 160G SSD so I assume it will be setup with 'Trim'? The memory is 8G so, I may be wrong but I would not have thought there would be much swap file activity with just internet work and a bit of Word?

I wonder how many GBs W10 pro takes up? (will Googe) can't be more than ten surely? I shall download music and rip DVD sound but these files will just be for immediate 'work' once done they will be bounced to an external drive.

Just had a look at Task Mang on this HP i3 g6. 'paged' sits at 489 meg, 'non paged' 113 meg and there is 3.19G of memory in use of 8G. Does that mean swap file activity is minimal to non-existant? CPU is pulling 1%.

Dave.

Got you on the cable Keith, will get one for 'ron.

Maybe a bit astray with the spec I am getting? The machine has a 160G SSD so I assume it will be setup with 'Trim'? The memory is 8G so, I may be wrong but I would not have thought there would be much swap file activity with just internet work and a bit of Word?

I wonder how many GBs W10 pro takes up? (will Googe) can't be more than ten surely? I shall download music and rip DVD sound but these files will just be for immediate 'work' once done they will be bounced to an external drive.

Just had a look at Task Mang on this HP i3 g6. 'paged' sits at 489 meg, 'non paged' 113 meg and there is 3.19G of memory in use of 8G. Does that mean swap file activity is minimal to non-existant? CPU is pulling 1%.

Dave.
Ok, I went back and read some and I had assumed you were starting with a pretty full disk from copying everything over from a previous system. "My bad" as they say. If you have lots of disk space available, then you should be fine. It's not using a lot of VM, as it shouldn't with 8GB and only a couple apps running, but if you get a crapload of tabs open (as I do) and pop open a photo editor with some recent camera, even smartphone, photos, it can get squeezed pretty quick, since your system memory is also used for video. (Also, make sure to "show processes for all users" in TM for a better picture.)

Of course, entropy sets in pretty fast. Check back with us in a year :).

I've always felt Defender, with regular updates, is sufficient, unless you're a fool and click on every little thing that wiggled in front of you, or routinely visit suspicious websites.

Carry on!

P.S.
Yes, CPU capabilities have far outstripped the needs of day-to-day computing for some time.

The machine has a 160G SSD

When I saw 160 I immediately assumed it was a spinner as that's an unusual size for an SSD. The improvement I noticed was in startup time and start times for programs. Things that used to take a minute or two are now taking a few seconds. I also had an added impetus to buy an SSD right now as Samsung have discontinued the Evo860 range and are no longer making mSata SSD's so I grabbed the last one that CPC had in stock. The laptop I have will take both an mSata SSD and a 2.5" disk at the same time. I see that yours has an E-Sata connection so you can hang another external drive on it without having to go through a slow USB link.

When I saw 160 I immediately assumed it was a spinner as that's an unusual size for an SSD. The improvement I noticed was in startup time and start times for programs. Things that used to take a minute or two are now taking a few seconds. I also had an added impetus to buy an SSD right now as Samsung have discontinued the Evo860 range and are no longer making mSata SSD's so I grabbed the last one that CPC had in stock. The laptop I have will take both an mSata SSD and a 2.5" disk at the same time. I see that yours has an E-Sata connection so you can hang another external drive on it without having to go through a slow USB link.

Aha! WHERE did you see the T510 had an E-Sata connection James? I have been trying to dld a user manual .pdf but fool Lenovo only supplied them as a help file with the machines. No good to me as I always want to study manuals long before I get hands on.

Yes, 160G does seem small for an SSD and I shall be BLOODY annoyed if the lappy turns up with an old Mekanikal! That would prompt me to swap it out PDQ for a new SSD and to buggery with the warranty.

I have read that W10 expects an SSD and performs poorly on the spinners?

Now I better read up on E-Sata ports and cables!

Dave.

Looks like Lenovo offer 80/128/160 + 256 GB SSDs in MicroSata,
or 160/250/320/500 in regular spinning drives.

Google suggests you're getting an old Intel X, and the 510s are sporting 10 year old CPUs?
idk, maybe I'm missing something but that looks like a pretty old laptop.

If that's correct, I think you'll have fun finding a micro-sata SSD upgrade.
I'd get what you need from the seller or, better yet, wait and get something that uses modern standards.

Looks like Lenovo offer 80/128/160 + 256 GB SSDs in MicroSata,
or 160/250/320/500 in regular spinning drives.

Google suggests you're getting an old Intel ssd, and the 510s are sporting 10 year old CPUs?
idk, maybe I'm missing something but that looks like a pretty old laptop.

If that's correct, I think you'll have fun finding a micro-sata SSD upgrade.
I'd get what you need from the seller or, better yet, wait and get something that uses modern standards.

Is the i7 CPU really ten years old?

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always hard to be sure with recycled naming conventions but best I can tell the Lenovos have i5 520m / i7 620m.
Those are now discontinued 2010 chips.

The most up to date user manuals I can find on Lenovo site are dated 2012 so...seems right?

It's always hard to be sure with recycled naming conventions but best I can tell the Lenovos have i5 520m / i7 620m.
Those are now discontinued 2010 chips.

The most up to date user manuals I can find on Lenovo site are dated 2012 so...seems right?

Ok well not that fussed if it works. Really just need it for internet so I can retire my W7 machines, if it is fast enough for a bit of recording? Bonus!

Will post the Speccy speccs when it arrives.

Dave.

Ok well not that fussed if it works. Really just need it for internet so I can retire my W7 machines, if it is fast enough for a bit of recording? Bonus!

Will post the Speccy speccs when it arrives.

Dave.

Fair enough. I have an old Core2Quad box that I never got rid of and it's still more than adequate for day to day and modest home recording.
Wouldn't want to hit it hard with mountains of VSTs but I could happily record and mix a fair few tracks.

Last edited:
Aha! WHERE did you see the T510 had an E-Sata connection James?

I think it was the Tech Radar review that I looked at before writing my previous reply - it is a combined E-Sata and USB port (this Dell has the same thing). If the T510 really has an mSata connection for an SSD then it would be worth buying one pronto before they all disappear (but the review didn't mention this so it may not have one). I also noticed that the hard disk has its own cover so you can replace it without opening up the whole case.

I have read that W10 expects an SSD and performs poorly on the spinners?

I didn't really find it any worse than Windows 7. Most of the time I just put the thing to sleep when I've finished with it - there's enough battery left in this laptop to keep it going for at least a day or two in sleep mode.

I think it was the Tech Radar review that I looked at before writing my previous reply - it is a combined E-Sata and USB port (this Dell has the same thing). If the T510 really has an mSata connection for an SSD then it would be worth buying one pronto before they all disappear (but the review didn't mention this so it may not have one). I also noticed that the hard disk has its own cover so you can replace it without opening up the whole case.

I didn't really find it any worse than Windows 7. Most of the time I just put the thing to sleep when I've finished with it - there's enough battery left in this laptop to keep it going for at least a day or two in sleep mode.

Micro Sata...Not mSata.
Yeah ^^ I didn't know that was a thing either. Still, I agree. If there's upgrading to be done do it quickly.

Micro Sata...Not mSata.
Yeah ^^ I didn't know that was a thing either. Still, I agree. If there's upgrading to be done do it quickly.

Just looked it up - looks like they're talking about 1.8" disk drives which is something I've not seen for around 20 years. However according to

2 Hard drives in a T510? - Lenovo Community

you can only fit 2 drives if you are prepared to forego the optical drive. You can also physically fit an mSata drive in there but it won't be recognised (unless there has been a later revision to the BIOS or hardware that will now work).

Just looked it up - looks like they're talking about 1.8" disk drives which is something I've not seen for around 20 years. However according to

They seem more or less impossible to get.
If it's not too late, Dave, I'd be really inclined to back out assuming we're correct here and it is a micro-sata disc.
Even if you're looking for something modest and not too expensive, there's no need to box yourself in with dead format.

TBH, performance isn't exactly leaps ahead of your current laptop.
It's likely regular 2.5" hard drive format. Ever consider just popping an SSD in there and installing Win 10 on it?

2 Hard drives in a T510? - Lenovo Community

you can only fit 2 drives if you are prepared to forego the optical drive. You can also physically fit an mSata drive in there but it won't be recognised (unless there has been a later revision to the BIOS or hardware that will now work).

Ah yeah. I did that to my 2011 MBP to add 1TB storage and just put the optical drive in a USB caddy for when selling time came.
Can't remember if it was Sata II or III in there. Something to consider, for anyone doing that. ^

They seem more or less impossible to get.
If it's not too late, Dave, I'd be really inclined to back out assuming we're correct here and it is a micro-sata disc.
Even if you're looking for something modest and not too expensive, there's no need to box yourself in with dead format.

TBH, performance isn't exactly leaps ahead of your current laptop.
It's likely regular 2.5" hard drive format. Ever consider just popping an SSD in there and installing Win 10 on it?

Ah yeah. I did that to my 2011 MBP to add 1TB storage and just put the optical drive in a USB caddy for when selling time came.
Can't remember if it was Sata II or III in there. Something to consider, for anyone doing that. ^

Well thank for your concern mate, can't say I understand a lot of that but WHEN the machine arrives I shall check it very carefully and run software to dig out the exact specification. Would Belarc be the best one?

If when I have the full SP and report back here if you think I have been sold a bit of a pup I shall contact the supplier. I don't see me ever needing to swap out the hard drive? As I say I just want a W10 machine for safe internet use for the forseeable...Are you saying IF the hard drive went T's U I would struggle to find a replacement?

I do not want to 'upgrade' this HP to W10. I have too much odd software on it that I tinker with (3 versions of Samplitude, AA1.5 and more) In any case the laptop has its problems. The screen has a nick in it, the keyboard I keep going with Dymo overlays and the lid bracket is strained. The CD drive has also been very erratic for some time, often won't play stuff I had copied on Freeview recorders. Be nice to get one that works!

Keep you posted.

Dave.

I don't see me ever needing to swap out the hard drive? As I say I just want a W10 machine for safe internet use for the forseeable...Are you saying IF the hard drive went T's U I would struggle to find a replacement?

That's the main concern, yeah. I'm a big fan of SSDs as you know but anything can break!
Just thinking if it is micro sata and they're that hard to get now, how hard is it going to be after a few years if something goes wrong or you simply want more room.
If it was regular Sata or m.2 or some common type there'd be no problem there.

I do not want to 'upgrade' this HP to W10. I have too much odd software on it that I tinker with (3 versions of Samplitude, AA1.5 and more) In any case the laptop has its problems. The screen has a nick in it, the keyboard I keep going with Dymo overlays and the lid bracket is strained. The CD drive has also been very erratic for some time, often won't play stuff I had copied on Freeview recorders. Be nice to get one that works!

I can understand that. Fair enough.

I have formulated a plan!

I have looked for '1/8" micro SATA SSD drives' and quite few 'possibles' popped up, a lot from Ebay but I would not go there. Amazon list a few but you cannot trust their search engine. "1/8" mico...throws up drives but then they are described by makers model numbers that may or may not mean EXACTLY what I have asked about but I can check into that if needs be.

So, I shall see what the laptop has in it and if a 1/8" obsolescent drive I shall see what the vendors have to say about it. (e.g. can they supply a spare? If not I shall take that as a very bad sign and take advantage of the DSRegs)

Plan B: Find a drive and a USB adaptor to check it and then store that away for a rainy!

'King computers!!

Dave.

It's 1 point 8 inch. So your traditional desktop drive is 3.5, traditional laptop 2.5, and these are 1.8.

I thought there'd be lots of google results with people asking about this but I'm not finding that many.
One I saw, though, was advice and a warning that they might be hard to find...in 2013. :(

If it is, indeed, 1.8", it's going to look something like these.
A lot like regular Sata, but with fewer pins on the power connector.
1.jpg2.jpg

I have attached a smudge. Looked it up and I see nothing about '1/8 inch micro SATA'?

I have anorher problem. W10 has not been activated. "No problem" you say, "just enter the product key on the back"
Yes, got that but Msft are not letting me do that, something about hardware change?

I have emailed the firm but after 5pm so no reply yet but they have been very helpful so far. Now. I KNOW you are going to say "Crock off, bounce it back and go elsewhere" Tempted but not a lot. The machine is everything I wanted and works very well* very chunky and well made. Then, I really cannot face that bloody long winded bind of getting W10 setup again!

* I cannot as yet get it to network with my desktop and thus printer. After an hour's hacking I eventually got it to find 'Living Room PC' and my W7 laptop but clicking the icon does not open them. But, I dare say I shall get there.

Dave.

Attachments

• DSCF2549.JPG
    DSCF2549.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Back