New kit too quiet - Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK + AT 2035

LupoLoopy

Hi!

First time poster so I absolutely apologise in advance if I make any errors when it comes to forum social protocol. I'll try my best to share as many facts as I'm able, so you can concentrate on asking questions worthy of your expertise rather than extracting the basics I should have put the effort in to work out myself :)

I'm struggling to get a decent microphone volume though to my DAW (specifically, Audacity).

I'm using channel one of a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK with an XLR connected AT 2035 microphone.

The -10db PAD is not enabled on the microphone. I have enabled the phantom power so everything is being fed the appropriate level of juice.

The volume going to Windows Direct Driver mediated channel 01 is very quiet. To the point where I'm having to turn the gain on the microphone up to about 12 o'clock in order to get a visible waveform and 3 o'clock to get a quiet one.

Further to this, the sound seems somewhat 'hollow', even when I amplify the what little register there is in my post process. I appreciate that this question is as long as it is broad, but do you have any advice? Where should I start? Is anyone else here using this combination of kit?

Thank you so much in advance

More factoids:

1) Yes I am talking into the front of the microphone
2) I've tried multiple different USB ports - no difference in volume
3) I'm using the Soundcraft provided drivers
4) I'm YET to check out the headphones monitor out - that's happening as we speak

Back