New Home Studio

juneb1022

I hope I am in the right category. I have a Windows PC, Scarlett 6i6, Yamaha MX49, Novation Ultra Nova, and 2 monitors. The computer is running Albeton. I have the 6i6 connected to the USB of my computer and the monitors connected to 6i6. I am able to get sound from Albeton fine. Next I have the MX49 as the master, and the Novation as the slave going to the MIdi of the 6i6. The problem is I can't seem to get sound from the Synths. I have the drivers for both Synths installed. Does anyone have some knowledge about this type of setup?

I suspect the driver is for when you have the MIDI devices plugged in directly the computer. Once you go into the interface with the DIN plugs (?) then it's just more digital data coming from the interface. You'd have to have a project set up and assign that input to a track with a software instrument.

I'm sure someone will straighten this out that has this configuration. I have my little MIDI keyboard attached directly via USB and keep the interface for mics and the occasional electric guitar or bass.

Been a while since I dabbled so this will perhaps just get you "on the road" until a top MIDI man speaks..

Link the two kbds via DINs, MIDI out to in then MIDI out to DIN on the 6i6 (maybe go MIDI out of the 6i6 back to the first kbd but that might cause a +ve feedback loop)

Now, I also don't know Ableton (yeah! shit really ain't I?) but you need some form of software synth in Abe. If nothing else look for Windows Wave Table Synth. Shit sounds and probably a lot of latency but, baby steps eh?

The sounds IN the keyboards can only be accessed from the audio outputs on them but the 6i6 has two line ins (3/4) so one kbd can run through that. The Novation is a USB interface of itself so you don't really need the F'rite but personally I would use it. However the audio from the other synth could drive the Novation and the latter the 6i6?

So, get yourself a rake of 5 pin DIN cables and some 1/4" TS jack to jacks and have hook up and a play. You can do no harm. Might make some very loud farty noises but no smoke.

I guess Ableton came with the 6i6? You could try Reaper, fairly good for MIDI work I think? Cubase is the dogs for MIDI and you can download a 30 day trial.

And.. you could probably/might have to hook the kbds up with USB but still use DIN. Windows cannot run two USB AUDIO devices (well, not QUITE true!) but you can probably run audio from one kbd and MIDI via USB if it works out better. You have a LOT of possibilities with that setup!

Dave.

Yes, Dave is right. In Ableton, you will need to find your keyboard/controller and set it up. Next, on some MIDI track in Ableton turn on record and check to see if you are getting a MIDI signal (hit one of the keys and it will register a visual signal). That is just t check for a MIDI signal, if you want the sounds from the Novation only, then MIDI has no roll here. Simply plug in the outputs to the Scarlet, select those channels in Ableton as analog and record.

Now, if you want to record the MIDI signals to what you played on the Novation, then you will record the MIDI signals, then output that back to the Synth, and then record the analog signal back to the DAW. That way if you need to edit any of the notes you can on the MIDI, the send that signal back to the synth so that the sounds can come back to the analog track.

It sounds confusing, but really it is simple, you have MIDI, which is just a digital data stream, and a sound module on the keyboard. The MIDI is sent to the sound module and is converted to an analog sound. In your DAW, you can record both the data signal and the analog, but since they are two different data types, you will need two tracks. One for MIDI and one for analog.

I am not sure how to make it clearer without going into much deeper detail.

I am obliged DM60. Yes Juneb, you have two devices that can output and input MIDI data and provide audio synth tones. Both can interface with a computer, and the Novation at least can act as a complete audio/MIDI interface much in the same way as the 6i6 does. The 6i6 can accept microphone and line audio signal and MIDI data and communicate those with a PC.

ALL this equipment can be connected in a variety of ways and then THE WHOLE lot be put under the control of the DAW software!
Get a good book. I am sure there will be a "MIDI for Dummies"? But most of all, play, experiment and do not be afraid to try things. All you need to be wary of is to keep the volume feed to the monitors at zero after hookup (always do those cold, unplugged) and bring it up slowly at boot time. Any weird noises, back off and check things out. Get an A4 lined note book and make copious notes and drawings.

But most of all..have fun!

Dave.

Back