New "Helicopter-Sounding" Noise With Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen)?

I just noticed a new noise in my recordings. It's quite low-level but definitely audible in headphones It's a low frequency noise that sounds like a steady helicopter or propellor sound. Any idea if this is a "standard" type of noise?

This is a brand new computer (as of Sep) - A Dell Inspiron 3670 with Intel i7. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have not noticed this noise until just yesterday. I tried switching USB ports (front and back of computer), tried removing other things that were plugged into USB ports. Tried restarting the computer. Noise is still there.

Any thoughts on what can cause this type of noise? Thanks!

Ryan

Hi Ryan......start by having only the Dell on and plug in your headphones to see if the noise is there. If it is then your issue is with the Dell or with something in the room or on the same line as your Dell. Try the Dell WITHOUT the power supply....battery only. If the noise is not there then add one thing at a time until you find the culprit. If you still have your old PC try that to see if the noise is there......with and without the AI and or other add-ons. Did you add anything lately to your room or home other than the Dell? New monitor screen maybe? These things can be annoying for sure......but most of the time you'll get to that eureka moment. Good luck.

I just noticed a new noise in my recordings. It's quite low-level but definitely audible in headphones It's a low frequency noise that sounds like a steady helicopter or propellor sound. Any idea if this is a "standard" type of noise?

This is a brand new computer (as of Sep) - A Dell Inspiron 3670 with Intel i7. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have not noticed this noise until just yesterday. I tried switching USB ports (front and back of computer), tried removing other things that were plugged into USB ports. Tried restarting the computer. Noise is still there.

Any thoughts on what can cause this type of noise? Thanks!

Ryan

Thanks. I have not made any changes to the computer in any way. Also, I hooked up a MicPort interface to the Dell (a desktop) and did NOT get that noise, which would lead one to believe it is the Focusrite. But then I hooked the Focusrite to my MacBook Air and did NOT get the noise. So that would lead me to believe it is NOT the Focusrite. Sigh. It seems to be some combination of the Focusrite and the Dell. I'll keep trying things to troubleshoot. Thanks again.

maybe it's some weird interference from something near your computer? When I have my external USB-C hard-drive plugged in and turned on, I immediately hear noise out of my speakers (connected via Steinberg UR 22). Same thing happens if have my Yeti USB mic plugged in and turned on.

I noticed this by accident because I had those things turned on while recording a few days ago and I usually have them turned off most of the time.

Something in the AC/mains probably. Make sure you don't have any CFL bulbs or dimmers in that circuit. (Flip the breaker to find out what rooms are all on the same circuit.) If that fails, a line conditioner might help.

P.S. Keep your mobile phone away from everything...

Back