new computer MAC or PC????

kiblonurek

hey guys...

in about 3 months i want to get a new computer and now here comes a question...

I've been using PC computers for last 8 years and never even touched MAC...

Now i am into music production and want to make a little studio for myself and need a new computer... I looked all over the internet and what it looks like is that most of the music production is done on MAC...

I am into Techno/Dance production can somebody help me decide which computer to get? MAC or PC?

I know PC computers very well and i feel a little uncomfortable getting MAC what should i do?

Do programs like LOGIC and PRO TOOLS work the same way on PC as MAC? Is there a difference in quality when using MAC or PC? thank you....

Man, what a loaded qeustion!:D

I'm one of the 5%'rs myself. I don't dig Windows. I like my OS 9.1. Haven't messed with OSX ( my puter don't have the horsepower for it:( ) My advice if you've never even used a Mac would be to go somewhere where you can play with one for a while to see if it's something you'll like. Most of your "professional" audio apps are developed on the Mac but there are those who say it runs fine on their WinTel boxes. I think it's a matter of what works for YOU.

If you've used PC's for the past 8 years, then you must be fairly comfortable on the platform. Couple that with the fact that you are going to get way more power for your money with a PC, and the choice seems fairly obvious. You should go use a Mac though, to see if it has all the things you've always wish you had, and then figure out if the extra cost and lower performance is worth it to you.

elevate said:
If you've used PC's for the past 8 years, then you must be fairly comfortable on the platform. Couple that with the fact that you are going to get way more power for your money with a PC, and the choice seems fairly obvious. You should go use a Mac though, to see if it has all the things you've always wish you had, and then figure out if the extra cost and lower performance is worth it to you.

Translation: you should buy a PeeCee because most people use them, including me.

:rolleyes:

Translation: you should buy a PeeCee because most people use them, including me.

What part of ....
I've been using PC computers for last 8 years and never even touched MAC
I know PC computers very well and i feel a little uncomfortable getting MAC
and
You should go use a Mac though, to see if it has all the things you've always wish you had

do you have a problem understanding?

I have no problem whatsoever with the Macintosh operating system, since OSX. I do have a problem with spending exorbitant amounts of money to get subpar performance, but I acknowledge the fact that some people are willing to pay extra money to get the OS that they feel most comfortable with.

To think that someone can't have a reasoned opinion for why a Windows-based computer works best for them is kinda ridiculous.

mac has subpar performance???

since when...

I think why many pro-end users use macs... (protools, graphics, 3d stuff, etc...) is because of the stability...

MacOS is built on unix and Windows is built on... well... built on itself and doesn't exactly have the biggest reputation for stability...

Mac on the other hand has been around since before windows and is built on unix which itself has 30 years of programming into...

I think stability has more to do with it...

and with the release of MacOC 10, if you've got the extra dough for mac, thats what I'd get

Macs cost more 'cause their better. Better OS. Better digital connections. More reliable. And better looking, dahlink!
Realize that a G4 chip is perhaps twice as powerful as the lesser Pentium.
And where do you think Microsoft got all their operating system ideas?...from Apple.

There is a reason the pro's use them.

Go check them both out, though.

Re: ...

jdechant said:

MacOS is built on unix and Windows is built on... well... built on itself and doesn't exactly have the biggest reputation for stability...

Mac on the other hand has been around since before windows and is built on unix which itself has 30 years of programming into...

Do you know your computer history? It sure doesn't seem like it...

NT os timeline in reverse order:

XP <- 2000 <-NT <- Digital VMS <- Unix

Win 9x timeline in reverse order:

ME <-SE <- 98 <- 95 <- Win 3.1 <- Windows 3.0 <- Windows/386 <- DOS <- CP/M <- Unix

Your flawed commnets rebutted:

#1 Windows has been around since roughly 1984 - MacOS 1984
#2 The NT Kernel is just as stable as any Unix kernel
#3 Every single OS out currently out there (OSX, Windows. OS/2, Linux) has Unix roots and is based on it.

major240 said:
Macs cost more 'cause their better. Better OS. Better digital connections. More reliable. And better looking, dahlink!
And where do you think Microsoft got all their operating system ideas?...from Apple.

Really? Did you know Apple's rejection rates are lower for the Motorola PowerPC processors than IBM's?

What that means is that Apple is willing to use hardware which another company like IBM would reject due to quality issues.

Sound like better quality/reliability to you?? :confused:

I guess you didn't hear about the overheating issues with the iCube and Titanium PowerBook either...

That's quite a load of BS. Care to share with us how the Pentium is a "lesser" processor (did you fail to mention the Athlon for a reason?)? How bout some benchmarks showing us how the G4 is twice as powerful? What in your opinion, makes the Mac OS better than anything else? Where do you think Apple got their ideas for their operating system from?

You need to spend less time at Apple.com.

[edit]

It does seem that Apple quality has faltered as of late. Horror stories about Apple tech support are pretty common now, whereas they used to be few and far between. It looks like Apple's attempts to become more price competitive have bit them in the ass. I still think Apple makes quality components, but they are probably now at a Dell level of quality...perhaps a bit lower when you factor in the tech support.

Easy answer - if you know and are comfortable with PCs, buy one. If you are uncomfortable with Macs, don't buy one. End of story.

major240 said:

I love you guys...but come on get it together man.

First the G4 chip has the same performance advantage over Pentiums as Athlons do which is about 30% or so faster clock for clock. This meant a competitive advantage two years ago when the fastest chips everybody had were 800 Mhz, but no advantage today when the fastest G4 only does a gig. This is further compounded by a slower 100 Mhz system bus and slow 100Mhz Memory. (Athlons and P4 are 2x or 4x faster in these areas at this point). In total these are the reasons Macs are currently "slower" than PC's.

Second there are plenty of Pro's who use both platforms. In my experience I've seen more people use Mac's who don't have a computer background or who don't like to tinker much with they system. This tends to mean more less technical people use macs (such as musicians and artists), however plenty of pro's use PC's as well.

This is a question that can be debated for on and on and on. Just go with what you feel most comfortable using. If one has more software and equipment to your liking, choose that one.

Windows vs PC

My god im getting sick of this discussion. Go do a sear either hear or on the harmony central forum, theres already plenty on the subject and i doubt that there will be much more insights on matter.

Man, I thought I should have just avoided this thread, but hey, glutton for punishment.

There's been alot of talk about Mac vs PC and which is the superior machine and so forth, but what it comes down to nowadays is how well you use what you do get. You can get a great Mac w/ OSX and dual processors or a spankin new PC w/ win XP and a P4, outfit either one with a great audio card (most of the good ones support both), and get to work. It sounds like you are comfortable with a PC. Go with that. You will do just fine. I'm pretty sure that God Himself actually still runs an apple 2 while listening to his HiFi so I suppose we're all doin OK.:cool:

I have both, so I always feel like an ass arguing this one, but there is no way the Mac touches the PC for performance. AMD and Intel are coming out with slamming chips it seems like every month, and you can still get a top of the line PC for far less than a low-end Mac. Mac OSX also creates a huge performance hit on the system with all of its graphic crap and transparency and all the stupid pretty stuff that sucks up CPU cycles.

If you wanna see a comparison of P4/G4/Athlon speeds from a Mac user, check out http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html .

Also, if you want to run your audio apps on OSX, you'd better be willing to wait. I don't think there's a major sequencer or DAW that runs on OSX natively right now. I might be wrong, but I've been watching for press releases. I've also checked quite a few times on the apple web site on their "made for mac OSX" search engine, and I haven't found anything I use there yet. I haven't used OSX on my G4 yet except for the first boot, and that was not by choice.

3.4 gig Amd hammer :D the first 64bit CPU
nothing is gonna touch it

right now nothing can touch a athlonXp, and there are so many stable motherboards out there for athlonXP too... and price...athlonXP 1900+ can be had for 136-150...and it out performs 2.2gig P4's that cost $500+. my new athlonXP 1900 will be here today.i have a nice new motherboard with a Sis740 chipset, it seems real stable...
i'd go with a athlonXP or a dual AthlonXP and windowsXP...

We could benchmark all day long and what would still count recording-wise is not how fast the processesors rate, but how well they perform tasks in audio programs.

Back