The New Apple iMac G5 as a DAW???

pisces7378

I know that I want to buy an Apple soon (as in, within the next 6-9 months). Now, I am nowhere near loaded with money. Nor will I be in 6-9 months. Basically, right now I have a Dell PC (Pent IV 2.4gHz, 512MB DDR-RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HDD), and I use Logic Audio Platinum v.5.5.1. I am pretty dis-satisfied with this set up. There is so much Dell propriatory shit on here, and, I have it hooked up to my DSL internet, so I get bugs all the time... and I just basically want to use the PC for the internet, and dedicate a Mac to recording. .

The only problem is... which Mac? Now, I KNOW that the G5 PowerMac is the Ferarri of all Macs. I know a LOT about it and how I would love to have one. But I also know that the one that I want, after adding more RAM and all is $4,000 easy. I must admit... after I buy that caliber of a machine, I can pretty much sit back for the next three years or so, and smirk; knowing that I am driving one of those little sports cars that all men with little wanggers love.

And given their Student Discounts and payment plan... I am so tempted to just go for it. But the sinsible person in me is begging you guys to save me from financial disaster, by talking me down off the building.

What about these new iMacs? They seem cute. They save me the cost of a monitor. They are probably pretty quiet (???). They will allow me to at least update to Logic 6 so that I can take advantage of all that neat shit. They are only sporting a 1.8gHz G5 cpu. But for all I know, that is better than a Pent IV 2.4gHz which is what I have.

I just don't know. I am not asking you guys which you think is the best machine. That is way obvious. The Power Mac G5 would stomp the iMac in DAW stuff. I am simply asking what you guys think packs the most bang for the buck??? My most tricked out iMac (1.8gHz G5, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD) weighing in at $1,800, verses my most tricked out PowerMac (dual 2.5gHz G5, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD + Formac Flat monitor) tipping the scale at $4,000.

Seeing as I could buy two iMacs for the end price of one PowerMac... I am just wondering...???

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Mike

So your leaning towards what I had suggested in a previous thread you had.
To have a dedicated PC for a DAW. excellent way to go ;)
As far as the G5....its new...so its expensive. You can get by quite well the a G4 and OS10 with Logic 6.0
(a 1.8gig machine is ok but still a bit slow for the Logic Engine.)
If you really want first hand user info for G5 and Logic 6 go the the Logic Forum at Sonnikmatter.....http://community.sonikmatter.com/cgi-bin/emagic/ultimatebb.cgi

do a search for G5

I have used Pentium machines with Logic for years...no complications provided your using the right hardware and components.

sorry to disagree pisces.with respect i'm a very experienced computer engr. for eons.
the performance leaders are amd64 and opteron solutions.
go on gearslutz and read the threads by brianT, a guy with a ton
of experience.
he is running dual amd opterons and getting insane performance
for a daw.
this is a known fact. talk to some computer engineers.
there is an interesting debate going on on many sites.
eg audioforums.com in the pc section. real hilarious my dads bigger than your dad type of thing going on.
and i dont want to get into one.
while i like mac for the ergonomics. the pricing i have issues with ,....

Polaris20 said:
The 1.8Ghz G5 iMac would be plenty for most people. People were recording audio and midi on 400Mhz G3's.

Exactly.

Or...

A cheap, used g4 with 800-plus mgz is easy to find and still plenty for lil' ol' me...

actually i recorded an album on an imac g3 400! right now, i record on a g4 867 and it's fast enough to handle everything but the largest of VST instruments and plugins. i think a g5 1.8mhz would be more than enough power for most things. just know that you'll need to use a firewire or usb interface (and there are plenty of quality boxes to chose from) and you wont have access to DSP PCI cards like the UAD-1...though the TC powercore now has two firewire DSP interfaces. all in all, i think you'd be very happy with an iMac unless you NEED a pci interface.

Steve Vai's Alive in an Ultra World was recorded on a 450Mhz G4. If it's good enough for Steve, it's good enough.

I'm glad that you're looking at Apple because a lot of people don't realize how good they are for audio stuff. Anyway, I use one of the first models of the G4 to be made and it has done good for me. The thing I don't like about iMacs is that you really can't upgrade them much so you have to kindof stick with what you get. The G5s are SOOOOOO good and fast but for what you're probably doing it might be overkill. I would recommend just sticking to the G4 and G5 desktops and finding the one that has the features you need. If you want a G5 though, you don't need to go crazy and get the 2.5Ghz dual processor. You could just pay $1,695 for a single 1.8Ghz with 1G RAM, and an 80GB Hard Disk. I think that would be plenty for home recording and while you're at it, take a look at Logic.

I can't believe people would pay $1695 for an Apple to use as a "compromise system" DAW. That's what I would pay if I was seriously tricking out a PC... a compromise system would be maybe $500.

Some people just don't like Windows, myself included. I really like my Athlon set up, but I am just tired of dealing with Windows crap. I do it day in, day out at work, and I get tired of looking at it.

Linux is a neat alternative, in theory. But I still have gotten proper drivers for my audio stuff, and until then Linux isn't an alternative.

I also don't like MS as a company, and while going to Apple isn't exactly getting away from "Then Man", it's certainly an improvement, IMO.

Of course, when Linux matures (and it will) it will be the best of both worlds; no MS, and total hardware freedom.

Hey

Hey everyone, I was just coming in here, and tried to post a thread, but it didn't appear, is this because I'm new?Sorry but I had to post in an existing thread, because I can't make a new one to address the problem.

Back