Need some help on setting up some new gear . M-Audio and Presonus

Myr

I currently own an M-Audio 1814 firewire interface, which has eight analog inputs as well as a digital input. I'm getting a Presonus Digimax D8 tomorrow, which has both digital and analog outputs.

The 1814 has like I said eight analog inputs, two of which have preamps. However, if I connect the D8 with analog cables, I will use up all the eight analog inputs, and thus sort of 'waste' the two M-Audio inputs.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I connect the D8 to my 1814 with a digital cable and get eight digital inputs in addition to the eight analogue inputs I already have? Meaning, I can use the eight preamps/inputs on my D8 in addition to the two preamped inputs on the 1814?

2. If so, how do I connect the two? Optical data cable?

3. Both have word clock functionality, do I have to worry about that? What device should be the sync reference?

4. In Nuendo, what should I use as sync reference under global settings? Currently I have:

Sample Position - Output, the output is probably the 1814 multichannel output.

I'm sorry if I sound completely stupid here, but this stuff is confusing to me.

I currently own an M-Audio 1814 firewire interface, which has eight analog inputs as well as a digital input. I'm getting a Presonus Digimax D8 tomorrow, which has both digital and analog outputs.

The 1814 has like I said eight analog inputs, two of which have preamps. However, if I connect the D8 with analog cables, I will use up all the eight analog inputs, and thus sort of 'waste' the two M-Audio inputs.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I connect the D8 to my 1814 with a digital cable and get eight digital inputs in addition to the eight analogue inputs I already have? Meaning, I can use the eight preamps/inputs on my D8 in addition to the two preamped inputs on the 1814?

2. If so, how do I connect the two? Optical data cable?

3. Both have word clock functionality, do I have to worry about that? What device should be the sync reference?

4. In Nuendo, what should I use as sync reference under global settings? Currently I have:

Sample Position - Output, the output is probably the 1814 multichannel output.

I'm sorry if I sound completely stupid here, but this stuff is confusing to me.

You should as long as you set one as master and the other as slave I use a Octane and Presonus to Alesis HD24XR via light pipe and set the HD as the master been going strong for a couple of year now. Just wished I could lightpipe out of the HD24XR into my PC without spending a ton a cash for another converter now that would be sweet. :cool:

Alright. Do I need a lightpipe for that or can I just connect the preamp and 1814 together via ADAT? What sort of cable will I need? How do I set the preamp as slave?

Back