Need an overview

SoundCard

Greetings,
I have a good amount of HQ audio on thumbdrives. Right now I am plugging them into my Galaxy 7 phone, then the headphone OUT into a normal receiver. On the good side, the phone provides an interface to select files to play,...on the bad side, the DAC in the phone isn't great.

Is there any piece of equipment out there that I could use that would bypass the phone's DAC and still use the phone's screen as an visual screen to select music? I think I read somewhere, that any DAC plugged into the phone's headphone jack would bypass the phone's DAC. But isn't what I need, a DAC that goes between the thumbdrive and the phone? I just can't seem to get a handle on how this progression works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I seem to need just the 'Digital-to-Analogue' and not the reverse. Might there be some simple unit out there that would work?

The Galaxy 7 plays audio up to 24bit/192kHz. I don't need anymore than that. No DSD etc.

Thumbdrive = digital music
Phone (DAC) = converts digital to analog audio (headphone out)
External audio interface = converts digital to audio (to stereo receiver). There are some stand-alone models, but most require a computer for control.

Do you have a computer to use? That is the simple solution, computer > audio interface> stereo receiver.

Thumbdrive = digital music
Phone (DAC) = converts digital to analog audio (headphone out)
External audio interface = converts digital to audio (to stereo receiver). There are some stand-alone models, but most require a computer for control.

Do you have a computer to use? That is the simple solution, computer > audio interface> stereo receiver.

Yup and Zoom UAC-2 – Thomann UK

The above is said to have pretty much the best D/A converters for its price.

Dave.

Here is an article about phone USB.

Clever adapter connects USB accessories to your Android device - CNET

It outlines a good deal of information on how to make a USB hub work on Android. A bit dated but hopefully still relevant. I've used the OTG (On The Go) cables to use USB Borescope camera's. Samsung phones are pretty USB friendly. FiiO makes some small DAC's that claim Android compatibility. One is the E18. I've used a couple of their headphone amps and they fall somewhere in the mid-range or being good for the money. Go to the Head Fi web site as they will have reviews and possibly leads on other options. I'd try a USB hub with the thumb drive and perhaps a keyboard to test compatibility that your phone can support multiple USB devices before pulling the trigger on the DAC.

Dave, I do have a Steinberg UR12 just sitting around, but, like the Zoom, there isn't any way of connecting a thumbdrive without incorporating a whole computer set-up. Even my Antelope Discrete 4 can't do it.
I was just looking for a better DAC to use that is better than the DAC in the phone. I didn't want to have to use a computer just to get a visual interface. I thought there might be something with a small screen to select the files,and a good DAC.

It looks like I am looking for a piece of equipment that is too specific and, therefore, doesn't exist.
Thanks for the effort, people.

Dave, I do have a Steinberg UR12 just sitting around, but, like the Zoom, there isn't any way of connecting a thumbdrive without incorporating a whole computer set-up. Even my Antelope Discrete 4 can't do it.
I was just looking for a better DAC to use that is better than the DAC in the phone. I didn't want to have to use a computer just to get a visual interface. I thought there might be something with a small screen to select the files,and a good DAC.

It looks like I am looking for a piece of equipment that is too specific and, therefore, doesn't exist.
Thanks for the effort, people.

Have you tried to see if a USB hub would work? Do a search on Amazon for OTG USB Hub. Simplest way to plug more than one device into one USB port. Something like this.
Screen Shot 10-27-19 at 12.01 PM 001.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, Folkcafe. I don't see how this could help.

You have a phone with one USB connection and two USB devices, a thumb drive and an external DAC. Hub pictured gives you two USB ports plus a charging port as well. If this and the post I linked to previously doesn't help, then I'm sorry, I can't help you.

You asked the same question a few weeks ago and got several replies. I think you're trying put a round peg into a square hole here. There were some suggestions but you didn't reply to most of them.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ac-402749/post4520378/?highlight=#post4520378

If you're serious about this you might look into something like the Sony Hi Res player

It will play 24bit 192kHz files, has a USB port on the back and you can control it from your phone. Just plug in speakers and you're ready to go.

Firstly, I thought my question a few weeks ago, was not being responded to. I had set up for an email notification if there was any response, but I didn't receive any emails about it. I thought maybe, I had worded it confusingly, so I started another inquiry. I will go back and read what was offered. And, yes, a round peg in a square hole is what I seem to be looking for, but there are so many devices, some very specific, that I thought I'd, at least, throw it out there.
Thanks all, for the suggestions.

Back