Need options for recording audio for youtube video production.

FlesHBoX

I have a youtube channel where I record video game "let's play" videos and I have been wanting to get a bit more control over the audio on my recordings. Right now I record my microphone using Audacity and everything else using Fraps built in audio recording. This leaves me with my vocals on one track and any game audio and voice chat (mumble/ventriolo/skype/etc...) in the video file's audio stream.

What I would like is to record game audio and any voice chat/voip separately so that I can have a bit more control over their levels when I am editing the video.

From what I have been able to find through searching Audacity seems to only be able to handle two tracks simultaneously, but I have not been able to find a way to record the Voice chat to the second channel. I also have not been able to discover any way to prevent this audio from getting recorded along side the game audio by Fraps. I'm thinking that I am going to have to find a way to record everything separately from Fraps into it's own track, but thus far I am having no luck finding any information on doing this or if it is even possible.

I downloaded the Reaper demo because I heard that it is a fair bit more powerful than audacity, and so far I am in agreement, but it is not capable of doing what I want on it's own. I've been away from recording for quite some time and the last time I was into it DAW wasn't an actual term yet as the first audio interface cards that weren't many many thousands of dollars were just hitting the market.

For my microphone I am using a Behringer C-3 through a Focusrite Saffire6 and I've been pretty happy with it so far. It certainly improved my vocal audio tremendously, but it's lead to me really wanting to have a lot more control over the audio.

Any suggestions?

Back