Need help with studio setup & dist.

mako

My band has done 2 albums in the past and had been ripped off from the managers and record co. So we after a 8 year layoff we are interested again.. We have built a floating room, and the mixer and all live sound is in place. We have just purchaced a LAYLA and have access to all software and
hardware to record PC based. My major question is Is a Layla good enough if done
in a home without 400$ mics and once the final product is finished where to go for strait distrabution since i want nothing to
do with record companys or management companys anymore...

Thanks
Mako

I have used the Gina and Layla systems. I have gotten great results with them. With any recording system, your tracks will only sound as good as your mic. If you are have a low budget project, stick with Sure SM58's and SM57's. For many years I went direct with everything but vocals, including using a S4 or DM5 w/triggers for my drums (Pre Layla).

thx. we have just bought a premier recording quality drum kit which set up back almost 4g's so what would you suggest that we do for that. I was thinking about the mic's that mount on the drums instead of just laying sm58's all over the place have any suggestions... And i have no idea where someone is getting celtic from heheh

one way of getting around the micing problem with drums, that is high quality mics and the right mix, is triggers and a drum sound module. you can build your own triggers from stuff you get at radio shack..my friend did it, though i don't know off the top of my head how to do it...however, his playing sounded pretty good when he ran the triggers thru an alesis drum module and played the recording for me....however, we didn't have a very nice drum set, so this might not be something you'd want to try...just noticed Fishmed has used triggered drums...how'd you like them?

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 09-11-1999).]

I don't think you want to use triggers on a $4,000 kit.. seems like a waste to me. :)

Premiere are great kits, I got one here I bought 4 years ago, can't remember the model or line or whatever.

Anyway. To get a good sound out of it, you will need a few things. Namely, good mic's. Depending on your budget, AKG C1000's are good for overheads, SM57's for tom's and snare, Sennheiser 421 can be useful, something for the kick, AKG D112 are popular and work well. This will set you back another couple g's. And tuned drums and good and new heads help a lot. The Evans EQ4 is a pretty cool kick head.

Emeric

Back