need help to choose the right RAM

abolit66

I’m going to upgrade my DAW for P4 or Athlon 64
Actually I have to directions to go

Asus P4C800-E deluxe
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0.

GIgabyte K8NPro
Athlon 64 3.2

I know there were a lot of posts on this subject, but my question is what you guys would put into the memory slots?

Corsair, Crusial, Kingstone, Mushkin , etc ????

I guess some kind of RAM do the job better with Athlon than with Pentium or vice versa….

Any suggestions based on your experience?

Thank you.

one of those four is what i was told to get....before discovering the joys of second opinions i always took what the computer store here in town gave me....the memory never came in a box. it was only wrapped in some anti static plastic or something like that.

Well, my humble opinion is that all this memory stuff is a bit overestimated. Sure there are better and worse RAMs but I don't think the differences are THAT big. Although a couple of friends of mine would kill me for saying this. But that's my opinion anyway. Differences exist but they're not so big....

I have to agree with Feanor. I've always used generic, on thirty or forty odd boxes so far, and never had a problem. Hard drives, yes, keyboards, yes, CD-RW, hell yes, but never RAM.

ive never had problems with normal ram.in fact NOT ONE PROBLEM.. but if your worried..get what makes you feel comfortable.
my choice being a dumb computer engr is amd 64.
people are very happy with the amd 64 for recording.

actually i fell in love with a laptop this week, but its expensive,,
and i'm still checking it out at the technical level.
an acer ferrari laptop with the ferrari logo on it and the amd 64 processor inside. but its 2500 bucks versus 800 bucks for a amd 64 desktop.

manning1 said:
ive never had problems with normal ram.in fact NOT ONE PROBLEM.. .

Some ram can have problems & you wouldn't know.

I remember buying a new 486 pc with 16MB ram & Windows 3.1 loaded. I went out & bought OS/2 Warp and I couldn't even install it. Problem turned out to be a dodgy ram stick. For some reason windows was happy enough but OS/2 wouldn't wear it

Back