Need help.....4-track analog to ?? track digital, comp systems, sound cards, etc.

Godsguitarist

Hey guys!!! Need some advice.... Ok, I got a Tascam 424 MkIII for CHRISTmas last year. I'm now sick of it and ready to move on to bigger and better things....heh. If I could afford external compressors, etc., it may be different, but anyways, I was wondering if you all thought it would be to my advantage to sell the 4 track and add my CHRISTmas money that I get this year to it and build a nice DAW. I won't be able to put a whole lot into it, maybe $200 plus what I get out of the 4-track (got's to get a new amp if I decide to sell my POD...tough decision). I can get 1.13 Ghz Athlons w/266 FSB, 128 RAM (although all of that would probably be replaced with Kingston or Crucial or some kind of name brand memory), LAN (I do play to build a home LAN later...8 port dual speed Ethernet...nothing real major, but fun for playing games such as Age of Empires, Quake, and the like :)), etc. What do you think? I hear from one site that the newer Athlon chips (as compared to what, I"m not sure...I don't THINK this guy was talking about the MP Palimino's) are more compatible with audio hardware and the like. Also, any suggestions on a good card for around $200? Well, I guess that's about it. I'll post more questions as they come to me. :) Thanks a lot in advance, guys. This site is so helpful. I'm thinking it would be worth it to switch, heh. Oh yeah, are there any recording software compatibility problems with Athlons? Any warnings for Athlon DAW's?? Thanks a lot again. Later!!

In CHRIST JESUS,

Brandon Buell

Oh yeah, one more biggie....is it worth it to try to get a board with DDR memory? I've heard from one source that it is not, but I don't know how reliable that source is and would like to get some opinions on this from you all. Has anyone seen any significant differences in PC133 and PC2100 RAM?? Thanks again!!!

In HIM again,

Brandon

Back