need a firewire card for my Motu..does it matter what kind or brand ?

earworm

so i finally bought a Motu 828
but i don't have a firewire card yet in my desctop,

does it matter what kind of firewirecard i get ?
is there absolute junk out there that i should not buy ?
or doesn't it matter at all, and won't it change anything about the sound or performance of my card ? (well,..i doubt that it can do anything with the sound....but performance ?)

cheers,
eary

So long as the FW controller is a Texas Instruments based chipset, you will do just fine. Hard part is finding out what chipset is on the card. If you can look at the card itself ... you should be able to see the chipset and it should have the TI logo on it (little shape of Texas with "ti" in it). Shown here at the top left of the page.
I can't remember the maker of the one I got for my desktop, but I got it at Wal-Mart for like $30 and it has the TI chipset.

ok, but can you tell me why it should be a TEXAS instruments chip ?
otherwize it won't work ?

i'm gonna check my card in a minute, cause i have no idea,

thanx !

828 or 828MkII?

I may be mistaken, but I think only the original 828 is limited to only the TI chipset.

As far as brands go, the two I have are Belkin and SIIG. Both have worked as advertised for years. I do really like my SIIG firewire/USB/ethernet card though.

earworm said:
ok, but can you tell me why it should be a TEXAS instruments chip ?
otherwize it won't work ?

i'm gonna check my card in a minute, cause i have no idea,

thanx !
He's not saying that it won't work if you don't use a Texas Instruments chip. It's just that the track record so far is that if you use a chipset other than TI's, you might have problems. Then again you might not. But I've heard of people with other chipsets having problems, and I have NEVER heard of anyone with a TI chipset having problems.

Back