Need advice advancing to the next step

Just found out that I've been recording at 16 bit not 24.So that means it's time to
dump audacity and move on to something else. I have the E MU 1212 sound card using windows
XP.In order to record at 24 bit with audacity you must select WASAPI,which XP does not support.
So I'm stuck trying to decide on a new operating system or a new DAW.I feel it's best to stick
with XP because the sound card may not work with other windows OS.
I'm recording a live streem from capradio.org. That's it !! The music this site plays is
from cd s.
The problem with Audacity, beside the 24 bit, is after recording a 4 hour show you can
delete parts that want,but you will not save any hard drive space because the data folder
cannot be touched.
A 4 hour show would be about 4 to 5 gigs.
Please let me know what you would suggest.
Oh, also this music library that I'm building I plan on DJing with in the near future.

thank you for reading, looking forward to your ideas

Just found out that I've been recording at 16 bit not 24.So that means it's time to
dump audacity and move on to something else. I have the E MU 1212 sound card using windows
XP.In order to record at 24 bit with audacity you must select WASAPI,which XP does not support.
So I'm stuck trying to decide on a new operating system or a new DAW.I feel it's best to stick
with XP because the sound card may not work with other windows OS.
I'm recording a live streem from capradio.org. That's it !! The music this site plays is
from cd s.
The problem with Audacity, beside the 24 bit, is after recording a 4 hour show you can
delete parts that want,but you will not save any hard drive space because the data folder
cannot be touched.
A 4 hour show would be about 4 to 5 gigs.
Please let me know what you would suggest.
Oh, also this music library that I'm building I plan on DJing with in the near future.

thank you for reading, looking forward to your ideas

I am not sure how much of that is realistic.

I will say tho, if you are recording with Audacity you are not using a good recording DAW. Digital Audio Workstation.

Start looking into software that is meant for recording. Audacity is a free audio editor. It does not give you much to work with.

I will not give my personal opinion as I do not know what you are looking to do and I am personally locked into the software I started with.

Try Reaper and see how you fair with it. It much more in depth than Audacity. Gotta start somewhere...

Cheers!

Dave (great name!) If all you are recording is an online radio station it is almost certainly "16" bits and probably some compressed form that is way worse than 16bits at 44.1kHz linear .wav!

Reaper is excellent but you might as well shop around! Studio One is free and gets a good rep. I run Samplitude Pro X 3 (and other Sam versions I have "collected"). Try the 30 day trial of that. If you get on you can download a free Samplitude Pro X Silver. Limited to 8 tracks but, suit you sir?

I am pretty sure that EMU will run on W7 and that is much better than XP,will check the site for drivers. In any case you could install W7 from any disc and run it for long enough to see if it works before they insist on registration (which you can't do unless it is a fresh copy)

BTW. Did you know that Audacity can EXPORT .wav? Then you can play with those files in any DAW.

Creative Worldwide Support < and you are almost certainly 32 bit with XP?

Dave.

My Midi suite is from the 90s.
It worked really well back then. It works really well today.

My audio is from more recent times.
Still in all, did they make really great recordings in 2001? Yes, they did. So an XP based system is not inherently bad.

How was it used then? Why can't you use it like that? If your interface is working great and your system is stable, what's left?

I have an XP platform -- don't use it much, but do employ it from time to time. I use W7 and have refused to 'upgrade' to W10.
W7 opened up addressable memory, true. I'd go back to the slim and svelte XP for almost everything if it had the directly addressable memory of W7. But this feature is hardly required for audio recording.

It takes a pretty good setup and pretty good ears to reliably, repeatably, and blindly discriminate between 16bit and 24bit. Are yours that good? Yes there's a difference (and wow... what a debate!) but a CD ain't bad. And 'CD quality' was adequate for the entire 80s and 90s catalog with nearly no complaints. (Although it's always fashionable to complain about 'the old' whenever new tech peeks its head out.)

FOMO has sold far more gear than any other factor. You may possibly be surprised at how "little" you truly need to make some great stuff happen.

Ponder5

Back