multitrack .cda tracks into wav tracks need good soundcard?

Vitor Peixoto

Please, help me in this simple issue, guys.

I recorded my band in the Roland VS-1680, in 8 tracks. Now, I have a CD with all the tracks in multitrack(.cda), for mixing and editing in my computer (Vegas Pro).
I just need to convert the .cda tracks(like a normal CD) to wav (16bit) for editing, BUT I don't have a wonderful sound card (AWE64). My question is: When you convert the cda tracks into wavs, the quality of the sound card is important ? I grab tracks in Audio Catalyst all the time, I tought that the sound card is used only when you record in the analogue inputs (line in).
What is the best thing to do? I need to tranfer a lot of multitrack tracks into wavs for editing, but I don't want to loose quality in the recording of the Roland VS1680.

Thanks for any info

Vitor Peixoto

hey vitor , isnt there someway your multitracker can hook up to your pc ... if not i dont see why u cant just use something like audio grabber ... http://www.audiograbber.com , but its probly the same as audiocatalyst, dont know , is it??
Also , how come your tracks are in cda format , cant you burn them as wav. files ?? or is it the multitracker , i havent used a roland before , so i dont know ... Anyway good luck with it...
spider

First of all, sorry for my english. I think I didn't make myself clear. I live in Brazil, and my english is poor...

The situation is this: I have all the tracks in a CD. So, the tracks are in .cda, like a normal CD. I need to mix the tracks in computer(Vegas Pro), in Wav files. If I grab the tracks to wav (Audiograbber, audiocatalyst,etc), the sound is going to the CD-ROM to the internal input of the sound card? This file conversion (cda-wav) is using my bad sound card (soundblaster awe64)and my files is going to sound worse because of this? Or this file conversion is pure digital, I don't have to worry? I just want to make sure that the tracks in Wav will be the same quality as the tracks recorded in the Roland (.cda).

By the way, I don't have the Roland, I just recorded in that and burned a multitrack CD with all the 8 tracks.
Do I need a sound card with digital input for the conversion (cda-wav) be the same quality???

Please, if anyone has any information.....

Thanks
VitorPeixoto

No, when you do a transfer by ripping from the CD using Audicatalyst it doesn't use the soundcard, but does a digital bit transfer from the CD to the hard drive. Like copying a file from a CD to the hard drive. The soundcard won't matter doing it this way, but it's probably not the best way to do it. If you want to know why it's not the best choice, check out this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=9261

Of course to do it the way that thread mentions you really need a good recording soundcard with digital I/O. Since you only have the AWE64, which doesn't have nice digital inputs that I know of, then doing the bit transfer with ripper software the way you have mentioned is probably your best option.

Back