MP3 to WAV conversion with Cubase

whymark

Thanks to this forum I learned about WAV 16bit being the standard for CDs. Up until then I had exported all of my *cpr files as MP3. I understand that MP3 is more compressed than WAV which has a negative impact on audio
quality. OK so I reopen my *cpr files and start exporting as WAV files when, suddenly, my ext HD goes corrupt....(ever seen a grown man cry??!!!)....I have some songs saved on CDs as MP3. If I import these MP3 files into Cubase and then export them as WAV files, do I get the boost in audio quality that one would expect?...how does Cubase un-compress MP3?....thanks....Mark

No, you don't get a boost in quality. Once the quality is gone, there is no getting it back.

The reason wav files have more quality is because the format stores all the information there is. 24 bit wav files is what you should be recording, then mixing down to 16 bit to make CD's.

Mp3's only store a fraction of the information and the algorithm assumes the rest. Once you store it as an mp3, you have discarded the rest of the information and there is no way to get it back.

OK...thanks...this just isn't going to be my day...I just heard from the folks trying to recover files from the corrupted HD and their news is bleak also....but, thank you for the info....this is a great site!

It happens to the best of us. I just lost the tracks and video files for the one and only show that a band of mine did. I had it backed up on two different drives, one died just before I moved across the country and the other one died as I was trying to back it up to a newer drive. Gone forever, I'm afraid.

My son dropped an external USB drive and forked a lot of his work files.
A second drive failed some time later (dunno why) but freezing it overnight allowed us to get some 50% of his music off it.
This put me off "desktop" drives and I bought a NAS. This sits behind my chair in our living room and is on copper to the music computers in another bedroom.

Since I have recently built a new PC with USB 3.0 I have bought a 1TB USB drive that sits alongside it...Bloody quick! But when son visits I shall still dump his stuff onto 3 drives!

Dave.

Nothing is bomb proof, and the only answer is to backup and backup. I use a rather simple utility called alwaysync it s free and I've used it for ages. It looks at your backup on another drive or over a network, compares them and backs up new file, and or ones that have been updated. Once you lose something valuable, you don't take chances, at least, until the next time!

Back