MP3 vs Wave, etc.: For CD's, and for Internet, what is the best format for quality?

northsinger

Hi--

Is there a general standard most people are using for songs you will put on CD, and for songs you will send via Internet?

I want to take a lot of guitar/vocal recordings I made with analog tape, and convert them to a good CD/digital format. I see that the kind of format, MP3, Wave, etc., results in big differences in file size, especially as you increase the Khz. That makes sense, but I wonder if there is some general agreement as to (1) which format gives you the best recording, and (2) since size of file matters a lot with Internet downloads of music, what format retains the quality of the music best, while comnpressing or compacting it to where it is downloadable?

For example, I just transferred a stereo recording into a big Wave format (100+MB) and into two MP3's (approximately 5MB and 13MB). And I notice there are a lot of different formats and high/low variations in each one.

So there's my question: Is there a general standard most people are using for songs you will put on CD, and for songs you will send via Internet?

Thanks for any and all comments.

JoeLoesch@aol.com

A wave file is an uncompressed collection of audio samples...you can't get any "better" than a wave file...it is what digital audio is. If your audio is at 16bit, 44.1khz...then your wave file consists of 16bit samples (2 bytes) - and 44,100 of them per channel per second...hence the large file size!

An MP3 file is in a compressed form that brings the size of your original wave file down considerably. The only problem is that MP3 compression is "lossy", which means that it's not going to sound exactly like the wave file you created it from (this is also true of WMA and other high audio compression schemes). In other words, if you take a wave file and convert it to MP3, then convert the MP3 back to wave, you don't end up with a file that's identical to the original wave.

Whenever an MP3 file is played back or converted to some other format, it is first converted to wave, for all intents and purposes, even though this is typically done on the fly (e.g. it does't create an actual file, but the file must be uncompressed into 44,100 samples per second at 16 bits per sample to play back through your little mp3 player...a wave file is just these samples saved together on a disk)

The bitrate an MP3 file is encoded at is the biggest factor determining how good the file will sound, and how large it is. Typically, 128kbps is considered "CD quality" by the industry, although it does leave a lot to be desired. It's great for the internet though, and is the standard - reducing your stereo audio to about 1MB per minute. 192kbps is better, but right at about the top of what anybody downloading or streaming off the net is going to want to see. 256kbps sounds really nice, but is too big to stream reliably over most high speed internet connections (it's definately possible, but with traffic between you and the source, it's not as friendly as lower bitrates). Finally, 320kbps results in the largest file, but is just plain excellent sounding.

Now when it comes to audio recording an mixing, you always want to work with raw wave files. A track converted to high-quality MP3 might sound great on its own, but when mixed and processed with other files it'll start to demonstrate the weaknesses of MP3. Also, the amount of CPU power to uncompress MP3 is quite considerable.

An audio CD consists of tracks of 16bit/44.1khz audio. This is the equivalent of a 16bit/44.1khz wave file. In fact, even if you're burning a CD from MP3 files, your burning software is just uncompressing the MP3's for you when you start the burn process. Burning an audio CD from MP3's makes no sense unless you don't have the original audio. Now there are CD players that will play MP3 files, but that's a totally different story.

To summarize:

Internet Standards: 128kbps MP3 (hifi - broadband) and 24kbps MP3 (lofi - modem)

CD Audio - 16bit/44.1khz Wave

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster

I've done some recording of my electric guitar, with the software that came with the computer, and used the mic that came with the computer. And these wav files get very large, and when you want to play them back it takes a while for the computer to crunch through the recording. Is there a way to get faster playback?

When you say "crunch through it" what do you mean? It won't play back without stuttering or it takes it a long time to load? What?

More Wave / CD / MP3 Questions

Slackmaster, thanks for the clear explanation and detail. I teach computer skills and hire teachers, and we emphasize simple and clear communicating. It’s great to get answers about recording from someone who teaches well.

Let me make sure I understand these things, if you have time:

1) Recording onto CD-s, and regarding Waves: I see that saving a file in 24 bit or 32 bit is possible. I would think that is far clearer and more desirable than 16 bit. Yet when I saved a song in 16 bit, 24 bit, and 32 bit, only the 16 bit made it onto the CD. Is there a way to get the higher bitrates onto CD’s, or are they there as a form of fools gold?

2) MP3's onto CD’s: When I tried to put an MP3 onto CD, it didn’t work. Can you not transfer MP3's onto CD’s? Or, if I understand your notes, do I need to first convert them to Waves? If that is the case, I assume I shouldn’t be saving them as MP3's at all, unless I’m going to be sending them via Internet.

3) Bitrates: I did notice a great difference when I encoded the MP3 with the highest bitrate.

4) Other CD/Hard drive formats: When I recorded CD’s onto my hard drive, the saved files had“RMJ” extensions (rea.l system media). They sound pretty clear–can these be saved onto CD, or do they need to be converted back to regular Wave’s first? And are they the best format to save CD songs onto HD anyway?

5) Other Internet formats: Aside from MP3's, I notice other formats being used on the Internet, by people with record label money to pay for good quality. Beck has a short piece that is about 500KB in size, with an “ASX” extension. A country artist on AOL this morning has a song that is about 2MB, with an “WMA” extension. And I see MP3's and a few other formats out there. Do you have any comments or preferences regarding those formats?

Thanks again for any information you have.

JoeLoesch@aol.com

Slackmaster2K said:
Finally, 320kbps results in the largest file, but is just plain excellent sounding.

That makes me wish EVERYBODY had a high speed connection so they would be posting 320kbps files. But of course the reality is some may never be able to get it, and some will never want to pay for it.

Im not Slackmaster but he or anyone else can correct me if Im wrong!:rolleyes:

1) The standard CD (You must have a World standard) Is 16 bit 44.1khz.
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~lion4/articles/notes/redbook.html
2)Mp3's are just another form of data. Yes you can save them. You just need an Mp3 player to play them.
3)The higher the Bit rate the better the sound.
4)You can save Real Media files. You just need the player to play them. No they are not the best. Its just another compression scheme like Mp3. The best way to store music on your computer is a Wave file. Then convert when Necessary.
5)Asx is just another Compression Scheme for streaming along with Wma. Microsoft claims that Wma files are 1/2 the size of Mp3's and are CD quality. I have never checked that claim out.

A Bastardized Standard
The WAVE format is sort of a bastardized standard that was concocted by too many "cooks" who didn't properly coordinate the addition of "ingredients" to the "soup". unlike with the AIFF standard which was mostly designed by a small, coordinated group, the WAVE format has had all manner of much-too-independent, uncoordinated aberrations inflicted upon it. The net result is that there are far too many chunks that may be found in a WAVE file -- many of them duplicating the same information found in other chunks (but in an unnecessarily different way) simply because there have been too many programmers who took too many liberties with unilaterally adding their own additions to the WAVE format without properly coming to a concensus of what everyone else needed (and therefore it encouraged an"every man for himself" attitude toward adding things to this "standard"). One example is the Instrument chunk versus the Sampler chunk. Another example is the Note versus Label chunks in an Associated Data List. I don't even want to get into the totally irresponsible proliferation of compressed formats. (ie, It seems like everyone and his pet Dachshound has come up with some compressed version of storing wave data -- like we need 100 different ways to do that). Furthermore, there are lots of inconsistencies, for example how 8-bit data is unsigned, but 16-bit data is signed.
I've attempted to document only those aspects that you're very likely to encounter in a WAVE file. I suggest that you concentrate upon these and refuse to support the
work of programmers who feel the need to deviate from a standard with inconsistent, proprietary, self-serving, unnecessary extensions. Please do your part to rein in
half-assed programming.
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/wave.htm
http://www.lightlink.com/tjweber/StripWav/StripWav.html
:cool:

Last edited:
Re: More Wave / CD / MP3 Questions

1) Recording onto CD-s, and regarding Waves: I see that saving a file in 24 bit or 32 bit is possible. I would think that is far clearer and more desirable than 16 bit. Yet when I saved a song in 16 bit, 24 bit, and 32 bit, only the 16 bit made it onto the CD. Is there a way to get the higher bitrates onto CD’s, or are they there as a form of fools gold?

Track on audio CD's are not "files" as you are thinking of them. Think more in terms of old LP records, but with pits of 1's and 0's representing your audio. Now you can't just take a 33rpm album and play it at 45 and expect it to sound normal, right? Likewise, even if you could record an audio CD at 32bit, no player would play them! The Audio CD standard is 16bit/44.1khz ... that's what the players want to see and that's what your cd hardware/software wants to burn. Now these numbers weren't just picked out of the blue. According to nyquist, the maximum frequency that can be encoded is going to be equal to half the samplerate. Thus, at 44khz we can encode a frequency up to 22khz, which is just above what humans are able to hear (well, according to biology and mathematics, reality may be different). Working with 16bit samples, the maximum dynamic range is 96db, which leaves plenty of room for noise...plus you get an adequate number of discrete values to represent your waveforms, as long as the mix is hot. PLUS, 16bits is just plain computer friendly...and remember that CD players started coming out in the late 80's when 2 bytes was still something to respect :)

Of course all the math mumbo jumbo is sorta bullshit when we start taking into account the true depth of how human's relate to sound. Thus we have a new standard of DVD Audio that is 24bit and up to 192khz. But here's the catch, you can't just take your 16/44 file and convert it to 24bit and expect to gain anything. How would the conversion algorithm know what was supposed to be going on down in those lower bits? It doesn't. You have to start at the higher bitrate to see any benefit. That's why we record audio at high bit depths and sample rates, even though we'll eventually just mixdown to CD format, or even make an MP3 for internet distribution.

2) MP3's onto CD’s: When I tried to put an MP3 onto CD, it didn’t work. Can you not transfer MP3's onto CD’s? Or, if I understand your notes, do I need to first convert them to Waves? If that is the case, I assume I shouldn’t be saving them as MP3's at all, unless I’m going to be sending them via Internet.

You can put an MP3 on a data CD as a data file, just like you could any other file. Of course that's not going to play in your CD player (unless it's an MP3 player).

As I said, CD audio has to be in CD audio format. Lots of CD burning software will accept MP3 files, but to actually create the CD, that MP3 is first uncompressed into raw audio data (that for all intents and purposes looks just like a wave file!). You know, even when you're playing an MP3 file it has to be converted into something that your soundcard can understand...and all your soundcard understands is raw sample data...it doesn't care where the data comes from. Most of this work is done on the fly and you never have to see or think about it.

3) Bitrates: I did notice a great difference when I encoded the MP3 with the highest bitrate.

As you should. The MP3 compression scheme keeps only what it thinks is most important to represent the original audio, and throws the rest away. Thus the higher the bitrate, the closer the MP3 will sound to the source.

4) Other CD/Hard drive formats: When I recorded CD’s onto my hard drive, the saved files had“RMJ” extensions (rea.l system media). They sound pretty clear–can these be saved onto CD, or do they need to be converted back to regular Wave’s first? And are they the best format to save CD songs onto HD anyway?

You'll have to be more specific about what you're recording with, as it will determine what formats you're allowed to end up with. You can burn any audio that your CD authoring software will allow - but it must be capable of recognizing the input and converting it to audio cd format. Otherwise, you'll first have to do the conversion to a suitable format (probably wave).

Oh, and if you're talking about data CD's, then it's really no different than saving to a hard drive. Any file on your hard drive can be written to a data CD as long it's under 650MB...and it'll show up on that CD just like it did on the hard drive. It doesn't matter that the data in the file is "audio"...the computer doesn't give a rip about the intent of the file, it's just saving bits. Now there are some minor details about CD file systems that make them not the equivalent of a hard disk, but my point is that data is data. Do not confuse data CD's and audio CD's, they are different beasts sharing the same medium.

The best format to store audio depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to turn your computer into a giant jukebox so you'll have a lot of tunes to listen to while you work around the house, then MP3 format is probably the best, since the quality is ok enough for casual listening, and the file size is trivial by today's standards. If you want to burn audio CD's for critical listening, or if you want to use the audio for recording work, then you want to save it in a raw uncompressed format, like wave. (note, you can use lossless compression schemes like ZIP or monkey audio to reduce the file size by maybe 25-33% for long term storage)

5) Other Internet formats: Aside from MP3's, I notice other formats being used on the Internet, by people with record label money to pay for good quality. Beck has a short piece that is about 500KB in size, with an “ASX” extension. A country artist on AOL this morning has a song that is about 2MB, with an “WMA” extension. And I see MP3's and a few other formats out there. Do you have any comments or preferences regarding those formats?

There are tons of formats anymore. WMA is microsoft's windows media audio, which is a similar standard to MP3 (although not technically "standard"). ASX is some kind of nullsoft streaming MP3 thing. RA and various "R" files are realaudio. Blah blah blah.

The very best of them, hands down, is MP3. Why? Because MP3 has just plain become the standard. Regardless of what platform you're on, or what software you're going to use, chances are that MP3 is going to be acceptable. In terms of sound, a good MP3 encoder can create great sounding files that hold up to or exceed any of the other formats out there. While there will be differences here and there, you just can't go wrong with MP3, so there you have it.

Second best is probably WMA. It sounds ok, and almost every windows PC will have windows media player installed...so the files will at the very least play on all microsoft machines, which is quite the majority. Obviously I give preference to formats that can hit the widest audience with the least amount of rejection or headache.

The very worst of them all is Real Audio. Reason being that a) it sounds like crap for the most part and b) it will only play with realaudio player, and a whole lot of people out there HATE real networks. Real Audio software is intrusive, difficult to download, etc etc. I won't even install it on my systems anymore, I've just had it with that junk. While just about anyone with a computer can play an MP3 file, you're going to run into a lot of people who won't be able to listen to your material if it's in realaudio format. I can not stress enough how much I despise that company and its products.

Slackmaster 2000

Back