Move DAW contents and OS to new computer - confused

That's an interesting distinction.
Using a 3rd party cracker to stop communication with MS is definitely a violation of the EULA, which might have some legal ramifications (tho I'd agree no ethical ones)
There is no violation.
Not legally; not morally (though, yes, you do yours, i do mine).

The overarching principle is that I paid full retail. Actually, several times. It's mine. So if a panel comes up with a bunch of outlandish claims, then I, and I alone, decide what that panel means. I decided it meant nothing and was nullified. I decided I agree to nothing because MY words (having purchased them) mean nothing on that panel because I said so.

While I haven't had this discussion with MS, I have with Autodesk (parent of AutoCad). They're not as big, but their lawyers talk just as tough. But it's all talk.

However, if you didn't also buy a license to the OS, then it's piracy.
I agree, mostly. Buy it. If you don't buy it, you're a despicable pirate. That much is simple and we are totally in agreement, there.

But I didn't buy a license - that's their talk - I bought a COPY. They offered a copy through their Authorized Reseller and I gave them the price they asked. Nothing shady. But I bought a copy, not a license, no matter what the program boots up with.

That's been my (successful) stance: I signed no license nor any agreement beforehand. If they simply decide I did, their case has no merit. If "everyone knows it", then that is a poor legal stance.

Yes, I realize this is swimming upstream. I understand that a huge campus with a thousand seats couldn't get away with this (as easily). I understand this has been "through the courts".

But I equally understand that one user in a million understand what's ACTUALLY been "through the courts" and what's actually been set as legal precedent. Even the (very angry) lawyers on the other end of several registered letters couldn't answer specifics.
So for purposes of not angering mods, it's probably useful to clarify "my friend Larry gave me this software that blocks callbacks to MS. If they're uncooperative about recognizing your already valid and bought license key, you can use that." :D

I have no desire to anger anyone, but I do know that this subject is often the source of emotional and passionate discussion, generally by bystanders.

Further, I'm not getting away with anything, nor am i getting something for nothing (a principle I abhor). I simply customize my software how and when I wish to the level I'm able. With AutoCad, it was a bunch of icons, commands, and shortcuts (that a field engineer noticed). With MS, it's their involvement with my continued usage.

I don't sell it, copy it, or post it. I just do it.

Didn't wanna become the focus of this thread. I have several stories on this subject that are probably left for another place and time.

I mean, it's almost certainly a violation of their EULA as written. You may be right about the enforceability of that "contract". I have no idea. I think EULAs are bulls*** and am happy to see it whenever courts strike them down as unenforceable.

ponder5 said:
But I didn't buy a license - that's their talk - I bought a COPY. They offered a copy through their Authorized Reseller
Huh. That's also an interesting distinction. To clarify: you bought a copy of the disk and then used the cracker to get it through the install process without clicking the "I agree" prompt?
I'm sure their lawyers would hate that! But again, I have no idea about the legality of that. I'm signed up to the EFF newsletter, and right to modify is something that they frequently talk about without there being clear legal precedent in the modern age.

whome said:
No bigger a distinction than arresting all men because they have the tools to rape with and they *might* do that.
I'd say a better metaphor would be arresting men who (consensually) violated sodomy laws as "probable rapists". It's something that may be illegal on paper but definitely shouldn't be; and certainly is not in the same category as what they'd be attempting to prosecute for.

To clarify: you bought a copy of the disk and then used the cracker to get it through the install process without clicking the "I agree" prompt?
There's as chance we're not connecting. I can be a little unclear at times.

I agreed to nothing prior to retail sale.
I agreed to nothing during the retail sale.
So whatever happens after the sale is up for me to decide and beyond their reach, authority, and purview.
What anything says after I leave the store is by and for myself.

That's the trump card in my hand.

If a prompt says "I agree" it may as well say "I Love My Mother" because that was what i decided it meant -- being mine and all.

If a screen came up on your car that said, "You must promise to always purchase this brand name forever before the car starts. Do you agree?" Of course you'd call that preposterous and drive on. This is why, deep inside, you know that the EULA is lawyer BS. Because a large part of it is

Interestingly, some claims of the EULA are valid, but not because it's in the EULA, no-no! But because it's established legal precedence. The EULA restates them (in their own way) that you may consider a convenience.

A close analogy might be your Miranda Rights. You don't have them because the cop recites them. You have them all the time, 24/365, and the cop is merely restating them as a reminder. But I didn't wanna get too far afield.

So like all things legal, some of it is legit (because it's been established elsewhere by someone else) and some of it is total fabrication and wishful thinking. But once i get it out of the store, I decide that it's ALL BS and I'll just stick to the law and ignore their version of it, no matter how many things the software wants clicked-on.

I'm sure their lawyers would hate that! But again, I have no idea about the legality of that. I'm signed up to the EFF newsletter, and right to modify is something that they frequently talk about without there being clear legal precedent in the modern age.
Lawyers hate who they're told to hate. They love to act aggressive because lawyers live for the win and no other outcome. They do that with the impersonation of anger toward us civilians but not so much at each other. It's basically an act like Professional Wrestling. (hope i didn't burst anyone's bubble on that one :-)

Right and wrong are completely irrelevant. Most folks avoid a fight (I do too, believe it or not ;-) and they can very often be convinced by scathing letters.

And there is clear legal precedence! For a short while (in the 90s) this issue was hotly contested almost daily and while copyright was more-clearly defined, vacating ownership was repeatedly rebuffed. Courts very seldom repeat themselves. The lack of ruling is the precedent.

Our society is wallpapered with 'amateur lawyers' that haunt the net (not you). No one can mention anything without being whined at by pillow-biting bed-wetters wringing their hands, waiting for their Junior G-Man badge to arrive in the mail. I'm not advocating anything, just sharing a few bits of what I've done.

But unlike the basement hacker or the amateur net lawyer, I've been in the fray and the full time professional legal team decided back down. Whether it was "right" or "wrong" is, IMO, irrelevant. I have the Right because I claim it and am willing to defend it.

For me, it's simply about morals and ethics. The Law may or may not be useful, but I have got far more comfy with rights in music, once they started to earn me money, rather than 'prevent' me making money. Funny that.

I think that's a great stance. And more civilly expressed than is often done.

You do you; I do me.

As long as you're not shoving it down anyone's throat or sniping from an ivory tower, it's all great.

Everyone has their own reasons. Funny that.

I did not read everything on this thread, so if it has been said, please excuse my repeating.

If it is Windows to Windows and not an OEM version, then you can move it as much as you want.

Now, if you just want to upgrade the hardware, pop you old HD insot the new one, update the drivers and go.

A partioning tool like https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/ works well. A little expensive, but it will let you clone, repartition HDs (like give your C: drive more room by taking room from D: drive (if they are the same HD) and give the C: drive more room, etc.

Or, you can clone your current drive to a bigger drive and the tool will know how to partition the whole drive, even if they are of different size (assuming you are going to a larger drive or the files you have don't exceed the new drive).

There is a tool for free called CloneZilla Clonezilla - About, it is free, but has limitations.

As long as you are not really changing OSes, then what you want to do is pretty simply. But if you do go to new hardware, make sure you know where all the drivers are to get you computer running 100%. Windows will cover most, but they don't run the hardware optimal.

Back