Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Move DAW contents and OS to new computer - confused

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Rob, how old is the MB you have? Even if you find an identical board, you may have trouble finding a current processor that will fit the socket. Both Intel and AMD have a habit of changing socket architectures, which usually doesn't include backwards compatibility! Intel has released at least 8 different LGA type sockets in the past 10 years. That's not including mobile styles. AMD had done about the same.

If it's recent, (less that 2 years or so) you might be able to get a new processor.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Err? Don't MOBOs have a unique ID burned into them to stop peeps using the same Windows disc on scores of "identical" machines?

Dave.

Thanks
    Yep - I discovered that last night. 18 months seems a huge passing of time, so that one's out.

All I am trying to do is find a way to duplicate a perfectly working machine so it is working at less than the stress level of the current one.

I could clone the C drive and increase it's size and simply carry on using it - but I like the idea of a working full specified backup. Maybe I'm being silly, and a bigger drive and the old one put on the shelf for emergencies is the best solution? The paranoia I'm developing gets worse as I de-camp for ten weeks each year and the system is built into a flight case, and despite being in a carillon rack, which is very tough - banging it around worries me. Having a duplicate seems to me sensible. I'm just looking for a foolproof method of having safety and as little downtime as I can.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Err? Don't MOBOs have a unique ID burned into them to stop peeps using the same Windows disc on scores of "identical" machines?

Dave.
    Yes and no.
    If you gotta Windows disc, it'll install onto "scores of machines" just fine. It doesn't care about MOBO numbers.
    But such an install can't phone home without the black screen reaction.

The control is not in your machine, the control is at MS servers that once they detect an anomaly will squirt code into your install, crippling it.

There's patching available for that. Not MS authorized, but it works just fine.

Yes, I know because I had something similar: platform change that ended in black screen. Rather than wring my hands about it, i decided I had had enough of the Microsoft Overlords and cut the cord that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    Yes and no.
    If you gotta Windows disc, it'll install onto "scores of machines" just fine. It doesn't care about MOBO numbers.
    But such an install can't phone home without the black screen reaction.

The control is not in your machine, the control is at MS servers that once they detect an anomaly will squirt code into your install, crippling it.

There's patching available for that. Not MS authorized, but it works just fine.

Yes, I know because I had something similar: platform change that ended in black screen. Rather than wring my hands about it, i decided I had had enough of the Microsoft Overlords and cut the cord that way.
    Or no and yes? If two MOBOs were in fact identical, how would the servers know you were trying to use multiples of them?

Just ASKIN' BTW! Just an old valve amp jockey here.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Or no and yes? If two MOBOs were in fact identical, how would the servers know you were trying to use multiples of them?

Dave.
    Board serial numbers, network mac addresses...There are a few ways to uniquely identify a computer.
    Waves use a combination of these things if you store your licenses on the system.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks

Windows "phones home". It does this as a "verification step". During the install, there's an option to install offline, where you're granted a 30 day grace period. But sooner or later, Windows has to go online and talk with the mothership.

When it talks with its servers (remember Billy Gates thinks your software is still his) it will notice this key number has had prior communication. Hey! what's up with THAT? If it's not happy, it declares your install persona non grata.

Identical MOBO, to my knowledge, don't exist. It's not a Windows thing, it's just a manufacturing serialization thing no different than any other serialized product. Whether Windows accesses and utilizes that serial during its phone home cycle, I can only speculate. It certainly could, but i've not erected a development monitor to find out because it's honestly not that important for me to know.

I think this post covered it:

Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I'm reading this like 'my system disc is running out of space. How complicated can I make it?'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    The paranoia I'm developing gets worse as I de-camp for ten weeks each year and the system is built into a flight case, and despite being in a carillon rack, which is very tough - banging it around worries me. Having a duplicate seems to me sensible. I'm just looking for a foolproof method of having safety and as little downtime as I can.
    Ok, I hear you now.
    It makes sense to have a working backup in the event your computer goes missing, or takes one bang too many.

So...
    If you like the idea of just cloning your drives and having a duplicate of your system as-is then sure, trying to find the same mobo + hardware probably makes that a little easier.
    Personally, in the hope that you never need it, I'd go for something simpler.
    I keep my DAW+plugins on a capable laptop so if anything ever happened my main machine I'd have a working second.
    Sure, I might not want to use it all day every day, but I'll not have to cancel a session over it.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    Windows "phones home". It does this as a "verification step". During the install, there's an option to install offline, where you're granted a 30 day grace period. But sooner or later, Windows has to go online and talk with the mothership.

When it talks with its servers (remember Billy Gates thinks your software is still his) it will notice this key number has had prior communication. Hey! what's up with THAT? If it's not happy, it declares your install persona non grata.
    It's a little more forgiving than you make it out to be.
    You can technically do the authorization step with the computer offline the entire time. It just requires manually going to their site and typing an ugly authorization key into your new install.
    If you have installed with the same key multiple times, you can contact microsoft to tell them that all previous installs are de-authorized or destroyed ("press 1 to swear on your mother's grave that this is the only extant machine running this"), and they'll allow authorization.
    So a deep copy of your disk to a new computer won't immediately brick your install. You're fine unless you're trying to run 2 copies simultaneously.

Thanks
    "I keep my DAW+plugins on a capable laptop"

And you can always plug in the monitor and keyboard from the defunct PC.

Dave.

Thread Information