"Mount error-power off" message-DP008ex

smg

Been getting this for a couple of days when powering on w/SD card I've been using primarily... lots of tracks on it and don't want to lose them.

Unit works fine w/other cards..
This card shows no problems in laptop where empty FAT partition is readable immediately... files are still in MTR partition only...

Any help here greatly appreciated...

Hey Miroslav-

Wonder if you remember me from a few months back?

Thx for replying...not sure how to back things up as card only activates "Power off" screen immediately...

Been looking at software options for fixing the card without reformatting it thus deleting all tracks..

Just got a laptop and will be using it along w/the DP-008ex re-things we were talking about in earlier threads w/using DAW etc...

Well...I don't know how much specific info I can give you, since you are talking about a standalone Tascam mixer/recorder and problems with that particular SD card you are using with it....and I don't have either of those, or have dealt with them.

My point was...if you haven't been backing up the data on the SD...it's a bit late to worry about losing the data once the card starts having problems.
I know that's not really helpful with your card problem, but you have to assume that whatever digital device you are using, it WILL at some point have unrecoverable errors. So the backing up has to happen regularly from the git-go, and not something as a last minute prayer, if you can just get it to work one more time long enough to do a backup.

I'm working on some drum tracks right at this moment...I have an auto-backup set to every 5 minutes...and then I manually back up between work periods when I've done enough work that I would hate to lose and where I can't remember all the steps I used up to that point.
Then I do a full backup to a second device at the end of the daily session. From there, as the project gets more involved, so do the backups.
That is the only way to work...and then, when your SD throws out an error...you simply don't care, and you reformat and copy to it from your latest backup.

Sorry again if that's not what you want to hear...but if you end up losing everything on that SD, you will appreciate the need for backing up regularly as the real solution.

Have you tried on some of the Tascam forums, where maybe someone else has dealt with the same problem on the same device?
Also...if you put that card into some other device...like the laptop...can you see the data on it, or is it proprietary data to theDP008ex?

If I'm misunderstanding your problem and setup...please explain more.

7 Ways to Fix Corrupted SD Memory Cards & SD Card Recovery

Fast and Easy Ways to Fix "SD card won't Mount or Recognized" Error

How to Fix Memory Card Errors: The Definitive Guide

[Solved] SD Card Wont Mount on Android & PC - EaseUS

Thx for taking the time to post those links and for the heads-up about saving things to a back-up as a regular part of the process...

Hopefully either here or on one of the other forums I posted about this someone who has dealt w/this will reply...

Very much a long shot but you could try freezing the card?
Several years ago I did this for a faulty USB hard drive and I got about a 20 min window of operatiom to grab some of son's songs.

Seal the card so it cannot get damp and leave it in the freezer over night. Costs nothing to try!

Dave.

If you've been using this SD card a lot, you could have data errors that are causing this. Yeah, I know you understand that, but sometimes data errors are fixable. But, if the physical surface that the bad data is on is the problem, you're not likely to be able to recover it. Good data that ends up on a bad spot isn't complete and so you get an error.

If it's a system file, that isn't good. If it's a data file, you could recover some, but not all. I'd try all other options first, then, if you can get the card to load in another reader, you might see if you can copy everything to a hard drive (all in one folder). If you don't get any errors on that copy, that would be a good thing. Then, get another SD card and copy everything back to that card. See if it works. If in this process, you get data errors or read errors on the SD card, unfortunately, that's not a good thing.

All else fails, you could try to defrag the SD card. Defragging would move good data to good spots on the card surface and if the defrag program finds any questionable data, it might be able to save it...or maybe not. Good luck. It's a hard lesson to learn but backing up your data is always a good thing. And when it comes to something like an SD card or even a USB thumb drive, you really can't trust them to work, even though the last time you used it, it was fine.

Back