MOTU 896HD Stability on a PC

nkjanssen

I'm thinking of buying a MOTU 896HD. Assuming I'm running Windows XP, Cubase SX3 and have a motherboard with a Texas Instruments 1394 chip, is this thing going to be rock solid? I've heard of stability issues with MOTU on PC's, but I think a lot of that might have been with the PCI cards or with firewire interfaces going into non-TI firewire ports. Am I likely to experience any glitches?

I got an 828mkII on several PC's, all with TI chips.
No problems what so ever.
I can't imagine an 896 would be any different.

nkj. if you want an alternative i would look closely at RME. they have built a solid reputation. this is what i'm saving up for currently.
if you want to save money on multitrack software a package i would urge you to try is what i use. powertracks from pgmusic.com.
the new release includes the ability for vocal pitch correction and harmonisation. just try the demo.you can watch a video overview at pg's web site. i love this package for its features, low cost of 49 bucks
for 48 tracks, and low upgrade costs between versions. also it doesnt use a dongle for security protection. peace.

manning1 said:
nkj. if you want an alternative i would look closely at RME.

I've looked at RME. I've pretty-much decided on the MOTU 896HD, though, because it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for feature-wise. I just have this nagging doubt about stability of MOTU stuff on a PC. Maybe the stability issues have been resolved with the newer units, though. It might just have been some old VIA-chipset and non-TI 1394 compatability issues. I hope.

nkj. i'm a computer engr. if you post your pc spec in full including
what you have in your pci slots i'll see if i can see any glaring problems.
i would also contact motu and give them your chip specs ie...TI...
just to make sure.peace.

manning1 said:
nkj. i'm a computer engr. if you post your pc spec in full including what you have in your pci slots i'll see if i can see any glaring problems.

That's very generous. I might take you up on it.

i would also contact motu and give them your chip specs ie...TI...
just to make sure.

You've obviously never dealt with MOTU tech support before! :D

nkjanssen said:
That's very generous. I might take you up on it.

You've obviously never dealt with MOTU tech support before! :D

The one time I contacted MOTU via email, I had a response in less than 24 hours. :)

Back