Motu 16A or Presonus Quantum 4848?

Folkcafe

Need an interface for my new Mac. Have some outboard Pre's and a 24 track Soundtracs console. Price is about the same on these two. I have plenty of D25 cabling from my old Tascams left over, which would make hooking up to the 4848 easier. Also more I/O's. Don't need preamps but need at least 16 analog line inputs. Any other Thunderbolt options?

I too have been eyeing up the Presonus Quantum 4848, as I like tracking via my console and outboard Pre’s. I like to monitor via the console during tracking as it's more convenient to quickly adjust headphone mixes and playback mixes. Well it is for me LOL.

I am worried that some of the new computers don't have thunderbolt already? So I am worried about long term compatibility.

Alan

I am worried that some of the new computers don't have thunderbolt already? So I am worried about long term compatibility.

Alan

I'm all in with the Mac and the new Apple silicon even though most of my years have been on windows. New computer has Thunderbolt 3 which has me thinking should I wait to see if the 4848 gets updated and just get the 2626 for now which is Thunderbolt 3. My collaboration partner needs to update his rig too so if we both get the 2626, we can aggregate both of them on one Mac or add something like the Focusrite Octopre when we need more inputs. I just don't want to be limited to 8 tracks for drums, bass and guitar tracking. Wish they made a 2424 or 3232 version. 16 analog and 8 - 192k via Adat would be perfect (my imaginary 3232). Hard to read the tea leaves as to what is next for the Quantum line. Probably I'd pull the trigger if they discontinued the 4848 with no replacement. Meanwhile the console is going to stay put.

I wouldn't worry about compatibility with Thunderbolt 2. As today, a lot of legacy interfaces in Firewire 400 (MOTU, Focusrite,...) still works over Thunderbolt 3 with the current drivers and the required adapters. Thunderbolt 2 to 3 is just a matter of a simple adapter.

I am also considering the Quantum 4848 to link the 24 channels and 8 bus of my Mackie Onyx 24.4 for live recording purpose.

Back