Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More RAM to ur comp = more processing power = more plugins???

Thanks

More RAM to ur comp = more processing power = more plugins???

Sign in to disable this ad
    im running POWERMAC G4 Dual processor 1G with 512 ram. If i add two more 512 ram to my comp (which will equal about 1.5G of ram), will i increase my processing power which will result in me using more plugins?? has anyone tried this? thanx

Chris

Thanks
    Yes. RAM will definitely help. Effects plugins are generally RAM and CPU heavy, so more RAM is always a good thing. I sometimes use my iBook G4 for recording and after I added 1 gig of RAM (1.25 total) I was able to really load up on plugins.
    Sonny

Thanks
    To counter the above poster, back when I ran Pro Tools on my PC (2.4GHz, 512MB RAM [2x256]) via MBox, I ran into my 'plug-in ceiling' too quickly, and figured adding more RAM would help. I added an extra gig [2x512] for a total of 1.5 gigs, but was disappointed to see that it didn't help at all.

Similarly, my friend who runs Pro Tools on his PowerMac (Dual 2.5GHz, 1GB RAM [2x512]) via Digi002 decided he wanted some more power for plug-ins. He went and doubled his RAM to 2GB and, like me, was dismayed to find that it didn't help whatsoever.

So, it didn't help for my friend and me, but it helped for the above poster. My guess would be that it depends on what your bottleneck really is in your particular setup (CPU/RAM/hard drive/bus speed/interface/etc.). More RAM is always a good thing, but buy from a place with a good return policy if it doesn't end up helping you out.

Thanks
    EDIT - OK, I'm an idiot! I saw that he already had 2 512MBs, and was adding a 3rd 512MB.

So I have a BS in Computer Science, minor in mathematics, MS in Software Engineering, but all are useless until I finish my morning coffee

And I still generally suck at addition/subtraction, even if I've had my coffee!

-----------------------------------------------------
    Not to nitpick, but isn't 512x2=1024 ? So 2 512MB sticks of RAM would give you 1024MB, which is 1GB, NOT 1.5GB.

Be easy on me, my minor was in Mathematics, major was Computer Science. I'm usually terrible at arithmetic (think adding up the tip to the bill at a restaurant) and my wife gives me a hard time. I reply "but honey, I only minored, not majored, in math"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnylarsen
    Yes. RAM will definitely help. Effects plugins are generally RAM and CPU heavy, so more RAM is always a good thing. I sometimes use my iBook G4 for recording and after I added 1 gig of RAM (1.25 total) I was able to really load up on plugins.
    I don't know where you got that wisdom either. Aside from Impulse Response reverbs, I can't think of a processing plugin that needs lots of ram.

This is what I take as a general rule for stuff:
    Processing (plugins, midi data etc.) = CPU
    Source files (audio tracks, samples etc.) = RAM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Halion
    I don't know where you got that wisdom either. Aside from Impulse Response reverbs, I can't think of a processing plugin that needs lots of ram.

This is what I take as a general rule for stuff:
    Processing (plugins, midi data etc.) = CPU
    Source files (audio tracks, samples etc.) = RAM

I hear that new "PimpMix-ina-Plugin" uses like all 500% of the CPU power.
    Lee Rosario
    Producer/Engineer & Studio Operations
    [B][URL="http://www.wix.com/lrosario/bio"]www.leerosario.com[/URL][/B]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    okay, thanx for the info fellas. but if i wanted to increase processing power via plug-ins, what do i do?

Thanks
    It's pretty much a matter of MIPS, which is pretty much a matter of CPU speed and architecture. It doesn't take a lot of RAM to hold the instructions, just a lot of CPU to crunch the numbers. One thing you might consider is looking at the DSP card solutions like TC Powercore and UAD-1. I have a Powercore card, and can run several of their excellent reverbs, some comps, EQ's, Chorus, etc. with hardly a bump in my CPU usage. That card has the equivalent MIPs of 4 G4 macs! There's a bunch of happy UAD card owners too, which runs emulations of classic hardware. Not as good on reverbs, but excellent on compressors and EQs.

-RD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdacoron
    okay, thanx for the info fellas. but if i wanted to increase processing power via plug-ins, what do i do?
    A faster cpu will always help. If you have access to a second computer you can offload some of the processing to it via ethernet

Thanks
    For the people who updated RAM and saw very little performance increase in other apps, check the speed of your frontside bus. If it is slower, more RAM will not help. The faster your frontside bus is, the more information it can pass without bottlenecking.

As for more plug-in power, check out a dual-core processor. Again, you need a faster board so the two can communicate properly without a bottleneck.
    Pro Tools LE 8.0.4
    Digi 003
    iMac 3.06 GHz 8GB RAM
    OS X 10.6.6

Thread Information